Home Match Day Thread 24/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Leyton Orient

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is why people struggle to listen or reply to you because you shamelessly mis-represent stuff and gleefully tell us unsubstantiated stuff.
There’s no “Des fan club”. We are supporters of Oxford United and jumping to conclusions about a new manager so soon is stupid and undermining.

That said, today is the first day I’m inclined to ask questions. We’ve let in some seriously weak goals last 2 games. Something definitely isn’t right.

The fan club thing is in jest. It appears certain individuals are just blinded by what anyone says about the manager. Its pounced on quickly. ie How dare you criticise the local man”.

It’s painfully obvious he’s out of his depth, and will not gain success at this great football club.

If he had any care at all, he’d walk away hold his hands up, and say I’ve tried, and it’s been a dream to manage this club. Unfortunately it hasn’t worked out.

I’m not gleefully telling anyone anything, just raising the alarm bells, as to what’s going on. I won’t mention that any more.

I’m glad your finally seeing what others have for a while now.

How about the Disloyal Players fan club? If it’s really true- and I find it hard to believe but @Leysboy insists - that we could have 10 more points if certain players were making a proper effort Instead of refusing to play for the manager then that reflects very badly on them

And anyone who they are confiding in.

Very difficult to convey on a forum that what I’m saying is really through gritted teeth. I never wanted Des to fail. He was my preferred candidate. So to see him arrive and be left to drown by the board gives me no pleasure whatsoever. I want nothing more than for us to win games and I think I’ve made is abundantly clear that Manning oversaw the most enjoyable period I’ve had as a fan in some time. I miss that time terribly - the buzz, the anticipation, the confidence. It’s reaching a sad state of apathy again. Do I think Des is the whole problem? Of course not.

It’s the wrong appointment not because Des is horribly inadequate but because we haven’t brought him in to the right environment to succeed. He was a poor selection for the job description. It’s a mismatch. I don’t blame him for taking it.

Manning made it work. They worked for the same people. He was stronger, wiser, more selfish but still managed to do that and bring the club with him. We really didn’t realise what we had when we had him. He could go away and beat Derby and Barnsley in a week with a more limited group of players than Des had to extract a point from Northampton and Leyton Orient at home.

We can’t use Tim and Grant as a reason Des can’t win a game of football with this group of players. It isn’t the perfect squad but how is it that Wellens can whip those players in to a shape that comes to the team 6th in the league and dominate like that?

I know there are problems top to bottom but I can’t buy in to the idea that Des is excused while we target the board. He is massively underachieving with what’s at his disposal.

Absolutely right. 👏

I’d argue and say Des has a better selection of players to choose from than what Liam Manning had.

There was also a connection with LM and the fanbase, the fist pumps at the end, when we were terrific on the road. Whether it was Barnsley, or Derby. Or even at Fleetwood when we romped it 0-3.

The is no connection at all with Des at the helm, it’s all very flat. The players can sense it too.

How about the Disloyal Players fan club? If it’s really true- and I find it hard to believe but @Leysboy insists -but we could have 10 more points if certain players were making a proper effort Instead of refusing to play for the manager then that reflects very badly on them
And anyone who they are confiding in.
Say it’s true, it’s part of life. It’s always confused me why people hold footballers to different standards to normal human beings. It’s a dream job, but a job nonetheless.

If you work for somebody you deem to be inadequate that’s leading you to a decline in performance, it’s an incredibly difficult thing to give them your maximum particularly when your best form is in recent memory. And what makes it worse for footballers is they go out there and take the cursing and abuse from fans along with public criticism and people rating their performances when they’re simply doing what a manager is asking them to do. They are competitive animals who want and expect to win and may feel they’re not being given the chance to do so.

It’s not as simple as turfing them out. If they’ve lost belief in Des’ ideas, it’s up to Des as manager to change that. He’s the manager. The leader. You can’t force it, he needs to but his big boy pants on, win back their confidence and persuade them.

I really want Des to succeed, and I really want to back him, but f**k me it’s getting hard. Tuesday was frustrating. That today was just deflating.

Need to start with the opposition, who I thought were very good. Leyton well worth the win. Barring a couple of decent spells for us, much the better side. Played some really good stuff and, had they been more clinical, could and maybe should have won by more. Their 14 was excellent in that ten role and 17 on their right wing had Leigh and Goodrham on strings all game. Omar Beckles is a player whose League One days I thought were behind him, but marshaled our attackers well. Fans in very good voice as well. Some egregious time wasting, but it was funny more than anything. Don’t think I’ve ever seen three players simultaneously go down with cramp before.

As for us, we simply should not be this bad. We have a very good set of league one players. They’re all back now, and we have options off the bench. To be dominated as we were, especially in the middle, is all about team structure out of possession, and that lies with the manager. Further, while all of the terrible goals we seem to be conceding at the moment seem to be coming from individual errors, at some point you need to stop looking just at the individuals and look more at the prevailing mindset being instilled in the group, which comes from the manager. Lack of concentration and bravery.

Individual players were particularly bad. I’m fast losing patience with Rodrigues. Needs a spell out of the side for me. Did well for the goal but is just so lax in possession. Negru and Long also just look nervous. I don’t like the Sam Long pile on but they’re both just coming across as timid and nervy constantly at the minute. Cumming I don’t think helped this; not at fault for either goal as far as I could see, but some of kicking straight to the opposition just added to a feeling of nerviness that I think impacts the rest of the defense. Matete also looked cautious, but I’m willing to chalk that up to match fitness.

There are some slight silver linings. The goal was excellent, and there were moments in the first half especially where we slickly played through them nicely. Dale’s desire when he came on impressed me and I was again quietly impressed with Goodwin, who won a few headers well. As the team gets used to him we’ll get the runners off him to make the flick ons more fruitful. Also thought Harris had a decent game, though I think his substitution was a mistake, given the joy we were getting on the break.

I think as others have said, today seems like it could be a bit of a tipping point. This habit of throwing away leads at home is, understandably, taking its toll on the fanbase. We’re not seeing anything to give any optimism. The players we have are, for the first time in ages, pretty top end league one players in every position, including off the bench. We just should be better. The bluntness of our performances is getting very concerning.

I’m off to drown my sorrows. See you in Fratton.

From what you’ve claimed we’d be somewhere between 2nd & 4th if your mates were putting their efforts into Oxford United rather than getting rid of a manager they dislike.

Don’t you find that a little embarrassing-for both them and you?

Say it’s true, it’s part of life. It’s always confused me why people hold footballers to different standards to normal human beings. It’s a dream job, but a job nonetheless.

If you work for somebody you deem to be inadequate that’s leading you to a decline in performance, it’s an incredibly difficult thing to give them your maximum particularly when your best form is in recent memory. And what makes it worse for footballers is they go out there and take the cursing and abuse from fans along with public criticism and people rating their performances when they’re simply doing what a manager is asking them to do. They are competitive animals who want and expect to win and may feel they’re not being given the chance to do so.

It’s not as simple as turfing them out. If they’ve lost belief in Des’ ideas, it’s up to Des as manager to change that. He’s the manager. The leader. You can’t force it, he needs to but his big boy pants on and persuade them.
So you’re happy watching players who aren’t trying on purpose?

I’m not sure why these players are being protected but who ever they are, are a disgrace to our club and would happily see them get moved on in the summer.

Not much more that I can say than I'm deflated from watching the last two home games. Maybe I will take up playing golf next season instead as it can't be anymore less enjoyable than the current crap we are being served up.

In response to Dick Walton. They do. In our case it looks like the compensation payable will be huge by our standards. I’ve wanted Des to succeed but just can’t see him bringing success to this club. Goodrham has improved but our defenders are all at sea. Goodwin, I’m sure the jury is out still. Again Harris one of Mannings signings has improved, and Cumming looks a good acquisition. As mentioned before I’m not convinced we have a plan for each game. What’s worrying is the number of the home games we control at times and then throw the game away, you almost know it is going to happen.
Most concerning of all, I think, is that Buckingham doesn’t seem to be able to instil that killer instinct not does he seem able to encourage players to perform better.
Why was Burey out today and previously having been one of our better players?
How come Goodwin wasn’t available sooner to hit the ground running.
Why does Brannagan feel he has to shoot speculatively at goal often with little effect, compared with the previous seasons.
The absence of an assistant manager is a curious one too.
Saturday afternoons are being ruined so often at the moment, despite the high crowds we have been getting.
The club is currently being let down in a big way. My home club is struggling when it should be succeeding.

So you’re happy watching players who aren’t trying on purpose?

I’m not sure why these players are being protected but who ever they are, are a disgrace to our club and would happily see them get moved on in the summer.
No, but I can’t honestly say I saw anybody not trying. Matete looked a bit casual but is that just his way? Who else are we looking at? I’m sure there are some, but it’s not obvious. Ciaron Brown has just tore Sam Long a new a**e hole for the second goal - that’s someone who cares and knows a basic error has cost us yet again. I see a group that cares deeply, recognises that they were once a much better side and hurting badly at what they’ve become. They’re misguided.

I find your post so unbelievably ironic when you would take a bullet for certain players who have been P**s poor under numerous managers over a sustained period of time and I haven’t once seen you call Des in to question when it’s absolutely blatant that there is a problem there.

Utter rubbish.

The players have been failing to carry out basic footballing concepts, last games played are won 5, drew 5 and lost 9, not footballing highlights so far, manager has to go, pure and simply get rid of him.

Matete can’t play, Rodrigues can’t play, Bodin can’t play, and a few others whom I won’t name have doubtful contracts.

Time to go, Des has to leave tonight and be done with it.

As for Pompey, god help us.

Last edited:
Utter rubbish.

The players have been failing to carry out basic footballing concepts, last games played are won 5, drew 5 and lost 9, not footballing highlights so far, manager has to go, pure and simply get rid of him.

Matete can’t play, Rodrigues can’t play, Bodin can’t play, and a few others whom I won’t name have doubtful contracts.

Time to go, Des has to leave tonight and be done with it.
That’s not going to happen though is due to the compensation he would have to be paid.
It’s a really disappointing time for Oxford at the moment. I’m starting to wonder who the candidates were who applied for Oxford. Des has all the coaching qualifications but doesn’t seem able to kick a**e where it’s required

No, but I can’t honestly say I saw anybody not trying. Matete looked a bit casual but is that just has way? Who else are we looking at? Ciaron Brown has just tore Sam Long a new a**e hole for the second goal - that’s someone who cares and knows a basic error has cost us yet again. I see a group that cares deeply, recognises that they were once a much better side and hurting badly at what they’ve become. They’re misguided.

I find your post so unbelievably ironic when you would take a bullet for certain players who have been P**s poor under numerous managers over a sustained period of time and I haven’t once seen you call Des in to question when it’s absolutely blatant that there is a problem there.
I am not going to start calling for Des’s head just yet as I don’t think he has been given a fair crack at the whip from the moment he came into the club.

Now we have pretty much a fully fit squad, over the coming weeks we will see what he is made of.

So for me the jury is still out on Des.

We have players like Long who wears his heart on his sleeve and puts 100% effort in every game, he is though a limited footballer at this level and to progress we will need better players than Long. I won’t though just slag him off or other players as I don’t see what benefit it does.

What I would call out though is any player who is purposely not putting the effort in just because they didn’t get their mate coming in as manager.

I keep hearing people say you can’t sack a manager 19 games in - why not ? Loads of clubs do.

Traditionally we aren’t a sacking club, and normally give time and patience to a manager. It’s probably one of the safest jobs in the football league (Normally), and it would feel strange to most on here to give a man 20 games and then pull the trigger.

Unfortunately it’s something that needs doing, and for Des’s sake too.

That was grim, it looked like we were in trouble from about 35 minutes. I thought Matete had a terrible game but not sure anyone comes out with too much credit. Also Moore can't come back soon enough.
Couldn’t believe Matete in about the 9th minute before he got injured. Lost the ball just inside our half and literally just jogged after there player to get it back. Lots of people round me, and me especially, were screaming for him to at least bloody sprint! Negru went absolutely ballistic to him so hope he got the message.
That jog in itself suggested a lack of desire.

Last edited:
Absolutely right. 👏

I’d argue and say Des has a better selection of players to choose from than what Liam Manning had.

There was also a connection with LM and the fanbase, the fist pumps at the end, when we were terrific on the road. Whether it was Barnsley, or Derby. Or even at Fleetwood when we romped it 0-3.

The is no connection at all with Des at the helm, it’s all very flat. The players can sense it too.
The really worrying aspect is game after game it is actually getting worse. We score a really good goal and then completely go into our shell. We are beginning to be dominated in midfield by most and our defending is shambolic.
Each word uttered by the manager creates more confusion. How in God's name can you think we deserved to win today. We were second by a long long way. Yes Orient play well if you allow them. The consolidated press under Manning is gone. In its place is midfield confusion. Rodrigues plays 20 yards deeper than under Manning and he is wasted.
What is certain is team confidence is shot away, we play with fear not freedom.
It's really time for the manager to step up if he is capable.

Back
Top Bottom