Home Match Day Thread 24/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Leyton Orient

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The situation is simple - if the Board are serious about promotion he needs to go now and they need to get somebody with nous in - this is the best chance we are going to have and nice Des will never get us up

Of course the Board are not really serious about it so he will stay and we will spunk our chances under his incredibly weak leadership

The stadium is more of a priority than promotion. I completely understand that.

The problems at the club is dumb and dumber.

And issues on the playing side of the club.

The situation is simple - if the Board are serious about promotion he needs to go now and they need to get somebody with nous in - this is the best chance we are going to have and nice Des will never get us up

Of course the Board are not really serious about it so he will stay and we will spunk our chances under his incredibly weak leadership
I donโ€™t think the answer is to sack him, I think the answer is to help him. We have a very inexperienced management team and we lack an assistant manager with nous and who will challenge Des and also improve him as a manager.

I think getting rid of him now wouldnโ€™t fix the situation weโ€™re in; by the time weโ€™d get someone short term in the season would be almost over, and weโ€™d have compromised our long-term prospects for a short-term moonshot.

We get told by the Desmond fan club.

Letโ€™s get players back, and letโ€™s give him the summer.

Heโ€™s got players back, and if we give him the summer window, what makes you think that all of the sudden heโ€™s going to have tactical nous and get a tune out of the players, and show fans he has a game plan.

20 games in heโ€™s not shown me any of those
This is why people struggle to listen or reply to you because you shamelessly mis-represent stuff and go around spreading unsubstantiated stuff.
Thereโ€™s no โ€œDes fan clubโ€. We are supporters of Oxford United and jumping to conclusions about a new manager so soon is stupid and undermining.

That said, today is the first day Iโ€™m inclined to ask questions. Weโ€™ve let in some seriously weak goals last 2 games. Something definitely isnโ€™t right.

Last edited:
I agree. I don't get this "Des fan club" stuff either. We've a newish manager, his start has been underwhelming, but a manager clearly needs more time than he's had (see Appleton, for example). Nobody's feeling good about this, and doubts are obviously starting to grow, but saying he shouldn't be sacked does not amount to being in a fan club.

I don't think there is any debating that we're P**s poor at the moment. Our defending in particular is awful. But there is a fair point in there about structural issues at the club.

If we did sack Buckingham (which I'm not suggesting we do) then we still have the same senior management running the show. These are the same clowns that *backed Robinson well beyond his use by date. They have been failing to effectively run the football side of the club far longer than Buckingham has been in post, and we'd have to trust them to identify the right replacement and get them the right support staff in.

I would far rather the heat was turned up on Williams and Ferguson first.

*I say they backed him. They didn't really. They hid apart from the time Grant liked something on Twitter once.
Very difficult to convey on a forum that what Iโ€™m saying is really through gritted teeth. I never wanted Des to fail. He was my preferred candidate. So to see him arrive and be left to drown by the board gives me no pleasure whatsoever. I want nothing more than for us to win games and I think Iโ€™ve made is abundantly clear that Manning oversaw the most enjoyable period Iโ€™ve had as a fan in some time. I miss that time terribly - the buzz, the anticipation, the confidence. Itโ€™s reaching a sad state of apathy again. Do I think Des is the whole problem? Of course not.

Itโ€™s the wrong appointment not because Des is horribly inadequate but because we havenโ€™t brought him in to the right environment to succeed. He was a poor selection for the job description. Itโ€™s a mismatch. I donโ€™t blame him for taking it.

Manning made it work. They worked for the same people. He was stronger, wiser, more selfish but still managed to do that and bring the club with him. We really didnโ€™t realise what we had when we had him. He could go away and beat Derby and Barnsley in a week with a more limited group of players than Des had to extract a point from Northampton and Leyton Orient at home.

We canโ€™t use Tim and Grant as a reason Des canโ€™t win a game of football with this group of players. It isnโ€™t the perfect squad but how is it that Wellens can whip those players in to a shape that comes to the team 6th in the league and dominate like that?

I know there are problems top to bottom but I canโ€™t buy in to the idea that Des is excused while we target the board. He is massively underachieving with whatโ€™s at his disposal.

Pile 'o shite , again! Becoming a norm. Take the lead, sit back become passive , Conceed.
Has to be the coaching. I Havnt laid anything on Buckingham until now but today has tipped me. He shows absolutely no passion on the touchline and im convinced this filters through. His after match interview summed it , delusional .

Bristol City lost to 23rd placed, 10 man Sheffield Wednesday today. Pretty poor form since Manning arrived.

This isn't a problem which will be solved by sacking the manager and replacing him with someone else who appears to be doing well elsewhere. It's a structural issue.

A terrible performance. Thereโ€™s a serious disconnect between the players and manager. On Tuesday, he says we need to start faster. We hardly touched the ball for the first 15 minutes today and why did it take around the 80 minute mark for us to pass and attack with any pace and purpose ? Awful individual performances - Brannagan included - and as a collective it can only be described as shambolic.

What's the point of bigging up Manning -he left us in the do-do. If it was Des managing from the beginning of the season and then leaving us in the bottom half of the table then it IS a different story

Bristol City lost to 23rd placed, 10 man Sheffield Wednesday today. Pretty poor form since Manning arrived.

This isn't a problem which will be solved by sacking the manager and replacing him with someone else who appears to be doing well elsewhere. It's a structural issue.
But DB was not doing well elsewhere, this is his first experience in the EFL.
Saying he could be appointed because he had done well in BZ and India is like saying I should be appointed because I have done well with pub teams.

I want nothing more than for Buckingham to succeed but there are worrying signs.

He came here from Mumbai where he was praised for intense high pressing football, why has he come here and got us sitting deep, no possession and badly counter attacking?

I don't see the players downing tools whatsoever, I think the effort is there from all of them, even Murphy is working his socks off.

What is Buckingham about? We now have a fully fit squad with a great bench. The standard of players, individually, is good enough to put something together now. But I can't see any identity to our play, there's no plan, there's no confidence. We can't keep possession, we sit deep but then don't have the players to counter attack at pace, we don't get enough players in the box, we panic with the ball, there's no obvious shape, players don't seem to know where they should be or what runs to make. Defensively we are letting teams simply walk into the box and take shots, if we try that against anyone we are snuffed out on the 18 yard box, why are we so generous and standoffish?

This is a really really REALLY weak League One, it'll be the weakest for some time. We would be in with a shout of automatics with just 2 wins from Orient and Northampton home games, both of which we should have put to bed. Even the Blackpool game should have been another 2 points.

I don't see us losing or drawing against teams where I think, "wow they were far too good for us", which is the frustrating thing right now. Buckingham has been well backed in January, the results and performances are not good enough right now and this is feeling like a lost opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom