Home Match Day Thread 20/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Northampton Town

Who was your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not anti Long but why invite Northampton to attack us when we had them near their own goal. Look for a throw or even give them possession near their own corner flag. We only had a few minutes left. It was madness. And then the ensuing debacle. Matete needs to find some steel as a real defensive midfielder doesn't get pushed off the ball that easily. Just a complete bizarre scenario created by our own players

Interestingly the Northampton manager serving a touch line ban was on the gantry just behind me. He was screaming instructions and it was all about protecting the ball and keeping it in the opposition end. Des needs to realise standing around contemplating the play needs a plan b from the touch line. Urgency and focus. Clear instructions. I don't think Portsmouth would be playing that 70yrd pass back in the last few minutes. We need to learn and learn fast.

Urgency and focus. Clear instructions.
That reminds me. We had a free kick some way outside their box in the first half. Three of our players stood over the ball, seemingly for ages, discussing what to do. When the ref blew his whistle, they still didn't seem to have decided and it ended up with one of them touching the ball about a foot away to one of the others, who then tried to control it and shoot. By which time an onrushing defender was right in front of him and it bounced away to safety. We had managed to completely waste an attacking opportunity and it was an example of muddled thinking and a lack of awareness - not only was it a chance for an attempt on goal, but a load of our players were in or around the penalty area, so a breakaway (if the ball had bounced differently) was a distinct possibility.

This is one for the players rather than the manager though - you would have thought they could have organised themselves better!

But was it a mistake? The goal was caused by poor play by Negru and then Matete. It was not Long’s fault.
I haven’t seen the match but have seen the goals alas their late equaliser only showed the action from the box but there was a 69yard pass back to Cummings from Long I want to know why the pass was he in his own up front? Did we not have anyone to run into space for him to pass to. Why did Long have to pass back to the keeper from such a distant?

I'm not anti Long but why invite Northampton to attack us when we had them near their own goal. Look for a throw or even give them possession near their own corner flag. We only had a few minutes left. It was madness. And then the ensuing debacle. Matete needs to find some steel as a real defensive midfielder doesn't get pushed off the ball that easily. Just a complete bizarre scenario created by our own players
With you on this one. I could almost understand it, if a first year rookie had attempted this, but all these players will have had game management and the importance of good decision making drilled into them from a very young age. Now it may well be that the team were encouraged to be uber-cautious when in the lead, but there's cautious and then there's this. It may have seemed superficially cautious, but actually invited pressure onto us, when we could've/should've been playing it around comfortably in the final third.

I was also shocked at how easily Matete was eased off the ball on more than one occasion (maybe unfairly at least once....but). It wasn't quite what I was expecting from a box to box dynamic enforcer-type midfielder . . . Hoping match sharpness will see him become a bit more robust!

And you're right about instructions to the players as well (and support for the manager from the dugout to find a solution to issues we're facing on the pitch, then communicating them to the players). There were times when the players looked a little confused as to their roles and positioning, especially after the triple substitution (which in itself looked badly managed, but that may be down to an inept 4th official . . . ). We started the game with an unfamiliar line-up and players being asked to do something slightly different. Thankfully, the triple substitution led to our 2nd goal, but we certainly lost some shape and dynamism when McEachran (who I thought did OK) replaced Brannagan, and lost a bit of defensive support for Long when Dale went on for Murphy.

That reminds me. We had a free kick some way outside their box in the first half. Three of our players stood over the ball, seemingly for ages, discussing what to do. When the ref blew his whistle, they still didn't seem to have decided and it ended up with one of them touching the ball about a foot away to one of the others, who then tried to control it and shoot. By which time an onrushing defender was right in front of him and it bounced away to safety. We had managed to completely waste an attacking opportunity and it was an example of muddled thinking and a lack of awareness - not only was it a chance for an attempt on goal, but a load of our players were in or around the penalty area, so a breakaway (if the ball had bounced differently) was a distinct possibility.

This is one for the players rather than the manager though - you would have thought they could have organised themselves better!
This is an interesting point. And is it possible that the players (we have lots of experienced pros in our squad) are being given a bit too much autonomy in decision making and the management team really need to get on top of this?

I haven’t seen the match but have seen the goals alas their late equaliser only showed the action from the box but there was a 69yard pass back to Cummings from Long I want to know why the pass was he in his own up front? Did we not have anyone to run into space for him to pass to. Why did Long have to pass back to the keeper from such a distant?
Oh we had loads of players in the opposition half. By passing back this distance we made all the players run towards our goal and Cummings was not going to kick further than Long so we gained absolutely no advantage. We also put pressure on our defence and exposed the most inexperienced defender. By nature of his actions Long was not back to repel the attack (I think he was still admiring the accuracy of his 70yd back pass). Suicidal

Not alone, he even asks for the ball when Matete could just knock it to the side or back sensibly himself. Long has asked for it just to haymaker it back in to our own half and force us in to a defensive state that nobody else in the team is ready for as we’re in possession with everybody high up the field (which in itself could be questioned - what is Des doing throwing so many bodies forward at this point?). But Long is in a position to turn out and cross if he wanted, even if he were caught on the ball Northampton have 70+ yards to go to goal.

Speaks volumes that people would prefer to throw young Negru (who will be learning still and bound to make mistakes just as McNally did) under the bus for his part in it all as long as Sam Long stays out of the spotlight. It’s just pathetic.

There is a few in the squad and now potentially a manager that can do no wrong in the eyes of a section of the fan base.

Not alone, he even asks for the ball when Matete could just knock it to the side or back sensibly himself. Long has asked for it just to haymaker it back in to our own half and force us in to a defensive state that nobody else in the team is ready for as we’re in possession with everybody high up the field (which in itself could be questioned - what is Des doing throwing so many bodies forward at this point?). But Long is in a position to turn out and cross if he wanted, even if he were caught on the ball Northampton have 70+ yards to go to goal.

Speaks volumes that people would prefer to throw young Negru (who will be learning still and bound to make mistakes just as McNally did) under the bus for his part in it all as long as Sam Long stays out of the spotlight. It’s just pathetic.

There is a few in the squad and now potentially a manager that can do no wrong in the eyes of a section of the fan base.

Let's be honest: anyone putting the blame onto a single individual or the manager is a f*****g idiot.

It's a collective failing, one from a series of collective failings.

We're 2-1 up, 9 minutes to go and not really under much pressure. Most teams go one of two ways - they either sit back and just keep the ball away from their goal (smash it away at every opportunity, basically) and run down the clock, or they look to maintain control of the ball and stop the opposition scoring by just not letting them touch it.

We did neither of those. In fact, I'm not even sure what we were trying to do.

It almost looked like the players didn't know what they were meant to do in that situation, which could explain the strange decisions.

We're 2-1 up, 9 minutes to go and not really under much pressure. Most teams go one of two ways - they either sit back and just keep the ball away from their goal (smash it away at every opportunity, basically) and run down the clock, or they look to maintain control of the ball and stop the opposition scoring by just not letting them touch it.

We did neither of those. In fact, I'm not even sure what we were trying to do.

It almost looked like the players didn't know what they were meant to do in that situation, which could explain the strange decisions.
Long didnt know what to do, everyone else seems to be looking for the ball from Long. He had 3 easy passes, he could have turned and run at the one Northampton player near him, he couldve turned inside the pitch opening up more passing options or he couldve put it out for a throw in their half. In no possible universe should he have punted the ball 50 yards backwards when under no real pressure.

Long didnt know what to do, everyone else seems to be looking for the ball from Long. He had 3 easy passes, he could have turned and run at the one Northampton player near him, he couldve turned inside the pitch opening up more passing options or he couldve put it out for a throw in their half. In no possible universe should he have punted the ball 50 yards backwards when under no real pressure.
Not sure had had 3 easy passes.
With a few minutes left he wanted to keep possession which is right ( the howls of derision if he has simply put it out for a throw in).
I totally agree that the back pass from there was unnecessary, but the defending after that was awful and thete were probably 3 to 4 players who should have done better

The risk to reward ratio on that pass, in the 92nd minute of a match we are winning by a goal with 5 minutes to go is ridiculous, especially given Longs passing ability. Playing the percentages and the other options he had I don't think it should have even come into his head, he has just had a massive mad moment and its all gone wrong, I doubt he would of done that 99 times out of hundred, just such a strange decision.

With a few minutes left he wanted to keep possession which is right ( the howls of derision if he has simply put it out for a throw in).
I totally agree that the back pass from there was unnecessary, but the defending after that was awful and thete were probably 3 to 4 players who should have done better

With everyone so far forward though that back pass is ridiculous.

He isn't comfortable enough in possession for a modern day full back for me, the game changes and some players get left behind like Eastwood with the ball at his feet, Long struggles as a full back unless he is played to a very specific task like Manning had him doing. All of his best games since his injury a few years back have been as a centre back for me, seems more comfortable there and it suits his skill set more now.

If we play Long at right back we need a plan that allows for Longs deficiencies there, then in the summer we need a new right back.

If you look at the picture a few pages back Long has Dale, Matete and Goodwin all within 15 yards with just a little movement and timing all an easy pass away. Ive seen our players play passes in much tighter spaces than that before so it shouldve been easy.

Having watched the extended replay on iFollow a few times.. at 8m 11 secs in Matete just seems to be taken by surprise by Hondermarck. I don't think there was any contact between the two of them. Hondermarck was just so much more awake! Poor..lack of awareness from Matete at that point which was where their second goal started. Perhaps if Matete had made contact?

There are a number of things that happen after Long's error that don't make sense. I'd go as far as saying Long's error doesn't even matter if we just clear the ball.

Oh we had loads of players in the opposition half. By passing back this distance we made all the players run towards our goal and Cummings was not going to kick further than Long so we gained absolutely no advantage. We also put pressure on our defence and exposed the most inexperienced defender. By nature of his actions Long was not back to repel the attack (I think he was still admiring the accuracy of his 70yd back pass). Suicidal
Thanks

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom