Away Match Day Thread 18/9/21 L1: Cheltenham Town v OUFC

Good players, increasingly tactically inept manager.

Sick of it. Sort it out Karl or walk
It's one thing to have a strong team on paper, but that needs a manager to get the best out of them. Cowley must look at our squad and be licking his lips at the quality of players we have.

Subs too late, correct subs made?, the same tippy tappy one solution fits all with no back up.
We seem to have come to an impasse with kr in charge, and can't move to the next phase where we change things to beat teams like AFC, Cambridge and Cheltenham. They were there for the taking for today, but after 30 mins the players really didn't seem to know what the game plan was.

We lost to Bolton as well so it's just not the teams that are a bit physical that we are struggling with.

• React
Reactions: m
If we don’t succeed at the end of the season there will be a clamour for him to go and will the new owners want him. Surely some of the transfers are down to him
Do you think the new owners will wait until the end of the season, considering budget wise he has been given what he wanted?

I’ve really enjoyed the last couple of seasons but I’m fed up losing to crap teams. We need to get better at winning in a scrappy ugly way. I suspect there will be changes at Christmas

They were there for the taking for today, but after 30 mins the players really didn't seem to know what the game plan was.

The game plan was to score! Robinson set the team out to dominate Cheltenham, and we did. But that counts for nothing if you don't score. Put one in, and there were plenty of chances, and it's a very different game.

We lost to Bolton as well so it's just not the teams that are a bit physical that we are struggling with.
True. Today, we really did make Cheltenham look good, bu if truth be know, like other teams we have lost to they were very ordinary.

The game plan was to score! Robinson set the team out to dominate Cheltenham, and we did. But that counts for nothing if you don't score. Put one in, and there were plenty of chances, and it's a very different game.
We didn’t dominate though.

It was only a couple of weeks or so ago and everyone was talking how we could be getting in the autos lol!
Be careful what u wish for, we could do a lot lot worse than KR. Last two seasons must be our highest finishes in well over twenty years now, bit unfair to say we have stalled I think, we are competing with some massive teams in this league and still making the playoffs.
Do you think kr is capable of taking us up, when tactically he shown nothing to make us think he has developed a plan B, with subs coming on so late and opposition teams able to read us like a book so early in the season?

If they’re a good team why can’t they score, or beat promoted teams?
Its not a good team. There are some good players but it's not a good team. It is totally one dimensional.

Still, I am assured that we left the changing room absolutely spotless today, with not a single shirt stepped over.

I’ve really enjoyed the last couple of seasons but I’m fed up losing to crap teams. We need to get better at winning in a scrappy ugly way. I suspect there will be changes at Christmas
We've traditionally IMO struggled against teams who play a more Industrial type of game.
We certainly need some coaching at set pieces, our defending at them is P**s poor and that's being complimentary and TBH when we get one we may as well tap it out for a goalkick instead of our normal fare.

Its not a good team. There are some good players but it's not a good team. It is totally one dimensional.

Still, I am assured that we left the changing room absolutely spotless today, with not a single shirt stepped over.
Or, it’s ok to be one dimensional if you’re really good at it, but we haven’t been this season so far. I like our plan A and as you say Karl isn’t a tactical genius, I dont want him getting creative.

Do you think kr is capable of taking us up, when tactically he shown nothing to make us think he has developed a plan B, with subs coming on so late and opposition teams able to read us like a book so early in the season?
Yes I do actually, considering he has taken us to the play offs twice. I believe the first time without the season being cut short we would have gone up automatically, we were flying if my memory serves me right

We are so easy to read . Sykes is playing well but we've got to score. It's a worry more rest pre season more rest in the week poor results KR as a problem bulling up the team time to get nasty. Strikers ? Wingers ? Where are the goals coming from . Lose at home to Gillingham and there will be alot of doubters .

After Charlton I was really excited about this side but recently I'm not sure what's come over them.

Taylor is really poor at the moment but Agyei is not the answer. He's too selfish and wasteful. Stick Whyte up top for a game and see what happens.

But we must remember we're doing better at this point in the season than we have done for ages. We just need some inspiration!

We didn’t look big enough, strong enough or quick enough. Or fit enough Last 20 minutes was the most clueless performance since that home horror with Wigan. Players were trying( the minimum of course) but they couldn’t handle Cheltenham physicality.

Taylor can’t handle the sole striker role, we need to go to diamond.

Seddon was dreadful, Holland was worse. Gorrin has lost confidence.

Henry, Sykes and to a lesser extent Kane fine , but all three badly ran out of legs.

Stevens can’t kick straight.

I’d be calling in the whole squad for extra training ground porridge tomorrow.

Highly unamused by that rubbish.

He needs the ball to score goals!

He made a great run and Sykes chose not to play him through one on one.

He then had a free header backpost 3 yards out and we crossed it straight over his head for a throw.

Second half he had a free header on the 6 yard box and we crossed it over his head.

He gets himself into great positions and we don't find him, then we blame him for being goal shy!

Not to mention the countless high balls he has to deal with on his own vs 2 big centre backs.

Taylor is a great striker, he's not the problem.
I agree, the final ball is often shite, along with most of the decision making in the final third

Back
Top Bottom