Away Match Day Thread 18/9/21 L1: Cheltenham Town v OUFC

After Charlton I was really excited about this side but recently I'm not sure what's come over them.

Taylor is really poor at the moment but Agyei is not the answer. He's too selfish and wasteful. Stick Whyte up top for a game and see what happens.

But we must remember we're doing better at this point in the season than we have done for ages. We just need some inspiration!
I don't think Agyei is necessarily selfish, I think it's probably more a case of him being desperate to have an impact and make a telling contribution in the rare and small amount of time he's given.

Or maybe he is selfish, but we don't see enough of him for a prolonged period of time to know for sure!

It's one thing to have a strong team on paper, but that needs a manager to get the best out of them. Cowley must look at our squad and be licking his lips at the quality of players we have.
Would he though...? A bit threadbare in the fullback positions, possibly lacking a good strong centreforward and could do with a bit more power and control in MF.

Wingers though! 👍 Loads of wingers......

The game plan was to score! Robinson set the team out to dominate Cheltenham, and we did. But that counts for nothing if you don't score. Put one in, and there were plenty of chances, and it's a very different game.
You obviously fell asleep in the second half (and I don't blame you).

Well we ping about 20 crosses into the box each game including corners and you would expect your striker to bag a couple of them. Saying it for a while we need a striker who can head a ball.
That's all well and good, but if the crosses are shite, then the striker has no chance

I was at the game.

First half was a bit of a token effort but enough to suggest we would go on and win in the second half. Ffs how wrong I was.

We were just shy of woeful and I'm questioning whether (and I can't believe I'm saying this) that after around 100 consecutive league away games I may give the next few away games a miss as it was that miserable to watch that second 45.

Taylor looked out of sorts, Whyte couldn't beat an egg, and our crosses and free kicks couldn't beat the first man however short or tall Adam might be and from this our Karl is showing he is now perhaps portraying the nearly man tag that some of his previous clubs supporters have tagged him with and as a long time supporter of his this today isn't easy for me to say.

However, to combat this I believe it is time for KR to take a step back from being the pot washer, the PR man, a communication director, Oxfordshire's charm offensive spokesman, a serial badge kisser and whatever. He needs to be the head coach and f*ck all else for the next 7 months or so or else the crowd will continue with the boos that reared its ugly head for the first time in a long time today and it probably won't receed till the side reacts to today's poor result and puts a positive distance into the next batch of 5 matches. The team needs to believe full stop or we'll end mid table at best.

At the end of the day ultimately it is a result driven business and to any OUFC fans out there who are getting ready to reply to me saying its early doors whatever whatever it could well be true but watching these recent away days it is becoming very samey samey in our approach and we've got to get out of this rut we have dug ourselves in.

This knee jerk reaction is a first for me as I have been first and foremost a KR fan but after 1400 fans travelled to Cambridge, nearly 900 to Bolton, a 1000 to Wimbledon and today another 1500 who bothered to turn out it will not be long till these numbers decline significantly with more of the same being delivered.(A bit like our crosses and free kicks ffs)

Please COYY'S.

Sorry not impressed, Muzza was better and that was over 10 years ago!
Strange, I thought he showed plenty of class. Got himself into great positions, made some great passes. He's no brannagan but he looks a great find. He isn't at match fitness yet and got very tired in the second half when his, and the teams performance faded.

Slightly misleading as when he actually took over after nearly two months of aimless drifting under DF we had slumped down to 16th.

Whereas now we’re *checks table* 14th. 15th if Portsmouth don’t lose at home to Plymouth in midweek.
"after nearly two months of aimless drifting under DF we had slumped down to 16th."
DF?

Strange, I thought he showed plenty of class. Got himself into great positions, made some great passes. He's no brannagan but he looks a great find. He isn't at match fitness yet and got very tired in the second half when his, and the teams performance faded.
Weird, you saw a different player to me then, let’s see what he’s like when he’s up to speed

Started off very sloppy giving away the ball easily... then got a bit better... then started to try to spray the ball about, often with little effect.

Early days yet, so let's hope him improves to be the amazing deal that KR says he is.

Hopefully he can sort that. I once saw Peter Fear on the verge of vomiting after a warm-up at The Manor. He looked like he needed an ambulance.

I'd really like to see Kane and Brannagan in the same side, with Henry in a (false) 10 position off Taylor.

Nonsense! Clearly not match fit and showed plenty of skill. He is work in progress and is a great signing.

We missed Brannagan. Midfield needs sorting but it will come. Taylor, not enough service, Sykes, worked hard and those who booed, feel ashamed.

We missed Brannagan. Midfield needs sorting but it will come. Taylor, not enough service, Sykes, worked hard and those who booed, feel ashamed.
I don't blame those who booed. Our away performances have been stupidly frustrating. Same old story every time.

It wasn't like that, sykes came over after fans booed, but to a man they were telling him he played well. Even shaking his hand . If the others had put the same shift in we'd have won.

After the Cambridge away draw many people assumed we would be well up there and Cambridge would struggle. They are now above us with a game in hand, we are one-trick ponies. We don't look like we can buy a goal at the moment. As I've said before I'm really, really not convinced we are as good as we were last season, and I'm rapidly losing faith in KR.

Back
Top Bottom