Away Match Day Thread 18/9/21 L1: Cheltenham Town v OUFC

Well if KR can keep us up, we should have Derby County next year 🤣

Not misleading if you view it from the angle that Clotet's 'achievement' wasn't good enough resulting in his sacking.

Karl's had over 3 years to build his own team and backroom staff where Clotet didn't. I did notice that the team spirit wasn't too good today, players shouting at each other blaming one another, then the story of Brannagan and gorrin not talking. Not good considering it looked like we were going to be up there this year after the first 5 games.

Karl's had over 3 years to build his own team and backroom staff where Clotet didn't. I did notice that the team spirit wasn't too good today, players shouting at each other blaming one another, then the story of Brannagan and gorrin not talking. Not good considering it looked like we were going to be up there this year after the first 5 games.
And in two of those years we have got into the playoffs, one of them a good position for automatics before Covid. Add the cup matches in (West Ham, Newcastle etc), it has been a pretty good three years wouldn't you agree?

We have too many wingers and not enough defenders, and could do with another good striker - that’s largely the managers fault though some deals could have failed at the last minute. Sounds like our plan A was working in the first half bar actually scoring - that sounds more like the players fault. (We don’t really have a plan B, that’s down to the manager).

The story about Brannagan and Gorrin is ridiculous so don't read anything into it. They had a fall out last week, which isn't a bad thing. Like today, we need players to get angry, we've been far too nice for too long.

Team spirit isn't an issue.

We have too many wingers and not enough defenders, and could do with another good striker - that’s largely the managers fault though some deals could have failed at the last minute. Sounds like our plan A was working in the first half bar actually scoring - that sounds more like the players fault. (We don’t really have a plan B, that’s down to the manager).
The story of KR at Oxford United. It will never change.

The story about Brannagan and Gorrin is ridiculous so don't read anything into it. They had a fall out last week, which isn't a bad thing. Like today, we need players to get angry, we've been far too nice for too long.

Team spirit isn't an issue.

How was Kane, anyone? Someone to get excited about?

I hate losing matches, I hate losing when we are not good enough to beat what's in front of us. I hate it even more when we have good players who look like a poor team.
Today, we looked like a team out of practice. A team that just didn't know how to play. That's down to the manager. That's down to lack of preparation. That's down to a lack of tactics.
Old chap from Cheltenham before the game, in the social club was telling us how they like to play the same way, long balls over the top. I said we like to play on the ground. One armchair pundit to another. If we had it figured out, why didn't KR?

And in two of those years we have got into the playoffs, one of them a good position for automatics before Covid. Add the cup matches in (West Ham, Newcastle etc), it has been a pretty good three years wouldn't you agree?

Your right it has been good but a below par season this year and you have to question wether a change in management is required to take us to the next level. How can we grow a fanbase when on the pitch we have stalled?

It was only a couple of weeks or so ago and everyone was talking how we could be getting in the autos lol!
Be careful what u wish for, we could do a lot lot worse than KR. Last two seasons must be our highest finishes in well over twenty years now, bit unfair to say we have stalled I think, we are competing with some massive teams in this league and still making the playoffs.

Clotet wasn’t sacked because we were tenth. He was sacked because he was going to get us relegated and was trying to sign even more washed up foreign footballers.
We are now established league one team that won't be relegated (famous last words 🙄) but we are not physically strong enough to compete for anything other than a play off space. That is an improvement and I'd rather this than what happened in the 2000s to us. I really enjoyed the 19/20 season, a little less so last year. Of course I want us to push on and get incredibly pissed off with performances like today, but I'm a realist too I hope.

If the expectations of Robinson was to bring in players and sell them at a profit whilst holding out own in this league he's a success. If it was to build a team to get promotion he isn't.

Last edited:
I hate losing matches, I hate losing when we are not good enough to beat what's in front of us. I hate it even more when we have good players who look like a poor team.
Today, we looked like a team out of practice. A team that just didn't know how to play. That's down to the manager. That's down to lack of preparation. That's down to a lack of tactics.
Old chap from Cheltenham before the game, in the social club was telling us how they like to play the same way, long balls over the top. I said we like to play on the ground. One armchair pundit to another. If we had it figured out, why didn't KR?

It's a pity that in the second half we hardly did that at all.

We either played it directly through middle at the perfect height for their CB to win it, or played countless long floated diagonals which were then a heading contest out wide. And as we must have the smallest forward line in the division it did seem ridiculous... but we kept doing it!

Subs too late, correct subs made?, the same tippy tappy one solution fits all with no back up.
We seem to have come to an impasse with kr in charge, and can't move to the next phase where we change things to beat teams like AFC, Cambridge and Cheltenham. They were there for the taking for today, but after 30 mins the players really didn't seem to know what the game plan was.

I was there, and it was pretty rubbish. There are issues through the whole side, and despite KR's blustering it is his team, his squad that we all know is unbalanced and he has to accept full responsibility.
-Holland came on and made one run but other wise barely touched the ball (tho to be fair they never passed to him!)
-Sykes was far from the worst player on the pitch, I didn't hear our fans booing him, it wasn't at my side of the stand.
-Did anyone really think we looked dangerous from a set piece?! McNally is huge yet never gets his head on anything in the box and frankly the rest of the team can barely jump!
-Cheltenham were solid but very uninspiring, but at least they knew how to defend our terrible balls up front and our dire set pieces. I'm sure there will be worse teams than them in this league.

I hate football sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom