Home Match Day Thread 19/03/2022 L1: OUFC Ipswich Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had verbal abuse in J' s bar of a couple for no reason. Unpleasant lot. Bunch of wannabee Cockneys!!
Lol , Cockneys. I think they are along way from London, so definitely would be wannabes In this case. .

So, let’s be honest, Burns was shite when he played for us. But he was decent yesterday. Doubt he has many days like that.
My mate who is an Ipswich fan said before the game that Wes Burns has been their main man this season and they mostly attack down the right , I said he might well have a field day against us .
He is ripping most full backs in this league up let alone a right mid playing left wing back .

My mate who is an Ipswich fan said before the game that Wes Burns has been their main man this season and they mostly attack down the right , I said he might well have a field day against us .
He is ripping most full backs in this league up let alone a right mid playing left wing back .
And he was alwsys excellent for Fleetwood against us.
He is one of the top right wingers in this league.

With Sykes - and I said this on one of the other threads last week - I honestly think the problem is that he's not really, truly comfortable playing in that position.

It's fine against teams like Burton, who offered minimal attacking threat and therefore essentially allowed him to play as a winger.

But Ipswich (and to be fair Shrewsbury before them) focused on pressing us up the park down both flanks, and forced Sykes & Williams to play far more in their own halves than either of them would like.

I still think that we are more solid defensively with the 3-at-the-back formation, and so we should on balance persist with it......but one of the downsides is that it likely does blunt Sykes as an attacking threat against some of the better teams, or at least teams that are well coached.

We could play Forde at RWB instead (who I think is more naturally suited to that position, albeit he's not as talented as Sykes) and free up Sykes to play further forwards. Although then you would have to leave out Bodin or Whyte, so I'm not sure about that either.
Why are you still talking about the Defence ? I thought you agreed 2-3 weeks ago that we don’t have one and it’s better just to watch the wingers lining up like penguins in Antarctica

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/532479...ting-andquot;boring-boring-ipswichandquot;/#3 Also isn't it weird them accusing the divisions highest scorers of being "boring". Ipswich I don't know if they're necessarily a bad-bunch, just from a town that time forgot which is educationally sub-par, more of a weird bunch. Proves my rule about only living in cities never towns, townsfolk are often a bit odd
How can an ITFC fan not know the reasons behind the chant!

Tinpot supporting you could argue!

With Sykes - and I said this on one of the other threads last week - I honestly think the problem is that he's not really, truly comfortable playing in that position.

It's fine against teams like Burton, who offered minimal attacking threat and therefore essentially allowed him to play as a winger.

But Ipswich (and to be fair Shrewsbury before them) focused on pressing us up the park down both flanks, and forced Sykes & Williams to play far more in their own halves than either of them would like.

I still think that we are more solid defensively with the 3-at-the-back formation, and so we should on balance persist with it......but one of the downsides is that it likely does blunt Sykes as an attacking threat against some of the better teams, or at least teams that are well coached.

We could play Forde at RWB instead (who I think is more naturally suited to that position, albeit he's not as talented as Sykes) and free up Sykes to play further forwards. Although then you would have to leave out Bodin or Whyte, so I'm not sure about that either.

Makes sense if your a defensively minded manager.

Have a look for Sykes positioning in the 2nd half of these highlights when Ipswich have the ball.
I think there is a lot more Wing than Back in our so called Wingbacks.

There is a moment when you are looking for Sykes to arrive in the box and instead its Taylor, fair
play for chasing back, for an older geezer his running is phenomenal.

Surely from an Ipswich perspective that should read, we should not have found ourselves here but now we are we can see there are some decent sides and realise we're going to have to work very hard to Earn promotion.

Nothing makes me happier than "small clubs" like us, Plymouth, and hell even MK and Wycombe to an extent, constantly spoiling it for the so called "big clubs" by forcing them to stay in this league. The "we're too big for this league" attitude is the biggest problem at all these clubs, because people just can't accept that they're a League 1 club for a reason and when things go pear shaped they don't back their team. League 1 is a damn tough league nowadays, and everyone in it is here because they deserve to be - whether it's a "big club" that's fallen from grace, or a "small club" that's beaten the odds.

The big club/small club debate is dumb as hell. If it weren't for us lot supporting a so called small club there'd only be 30 odd teams in the country and football wouldn't be half the sport it is now. Throwing out the small club insult is what fans of big clubs do to stroke their ego and make themselves feel better when the small clubs do better than them.

Nothing makes me happier than "small clubs" like us, Plymouth, and hell even MK and Wycombe to an extent, constantly spoiling it for the so called "big clubs" by forcing them to stay in this league. The "we're too big for this league" attitude is the biggest problem at all these clubs, because people just can't accept that they're a League 1 club for a reason and when things go pear shaped they don't back their team. League 1 is a damn tough league nowadays, and everyone in it is here because they deserve to be - whether it's a "big club" that's fallen from grace, or a "small club" that's beaten the odds.

The big club/small club debate is dumb as hell. If it weren't for us lot supporting a so called small club there'd only be 30 odd teams in the country and football wouldn't be half the sport it is now. Throwing out the small club insult is what fans of big clubs do to stroke their ego and make themselves feel better when the small clubs do better than them.

Much as I agree, we'll have to pretend the Conference years never happened.

We were no different.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Sick and tired of these clubs and their ego attitudes. But, just as tired of the media bias and the patronising approach by commentators and pundits alike.

What are these clubs going to be saying when we move into a brand new state of the art stadium, playing in the Championship and they are still languishing in League 1?

This is true, if the only thing that mattered was how big a club is, we would all support Man Utd or Liverpool. What does it matter how big a club is? Does it make it better to support bigger teams, are fans of those teams happier for example? In any case we are talking about Ipswich, hardly a big club.

We were no different.
I wasn't a fan of our attitude back then either, but you're right that OUFC did have it! But even still we were nowhere near as bad as some of the sides we're seeing in L1 - and one big difference is after that first season the vast majority of us understood that being a big fish in a small pond didn't mean anything and we had to be more than a "big club" to get out of that division. Some of these clubs have been down here for years and still have the same attitude.

I also really don't get the clamour to be back as a big premier league side. I tried supporting one for a few years as a kid to "fit in" with the other kids at school (while keeping OUFC firmly as no.1 club of course), but found it really quite boring seeing the same stuff every season and ditched them to start going to Brackley Town every week. £1 a game for under 18s and got to see a bunch of ex OUFC and OUFC loanees in action - brilliant times. Supporting a "small club" is so much more fun, and the payoff when we do well is so much greater.

We were no different.

Tbf, the utter rubbish of our team in the 2nd season disabused many of that notion. We did have it bad in the 1st season though, the chants walking out of Dagenham & Redbridge were cringeworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom