Away Match Day Thread 17/12/22: L1: Sheffield Wednesday v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but that's nonsense. You're a professional footballer; you're 12 yards away. If you don't put it in the corner (assuming you've not decided to hit it down the centre) then you've taken a bad penalty.

If you hit it hard into the side netting, goalie's not saving it even if he's gone the right way. Murphy's was neither that hard nor was it in the corner.

Not going to pillory him for it, because good players make mistakes. But it was a bad penalty.
It’s not nonsense. The ‘worst’ penalties you see will result in as many goals as good penalties. I’ll grant you that penalties right in to the side netting are the the most effective ones but does that mean penalties struck firmly down the middle are the worst penalties? Of course not. It’s rubbish. It’s a mind game far more than it is a skill game.

Even if a player puts the ball in the side netting, if the keeper takes one step that way before he dives, he’ll save it. They never do because there’s a risk that they’ll over commit too early and the taker will roll it in the other side.

It’s a common debate. But you or I could’ve got up there and taken that penalty and put it away without so much as kicking the ball cleanly.

For me, all I ask of penalty takers is hit the target. He did that. On another day it rolls in and nobody mentions it.

In most instances I’d spend the rest of the evening being pissed off about that.

I just can’t be bothered this season. I’m bored with it. I’m bored with the same old each season. It’s a result that sums up KR - playing well, getting close but not being good enough. In 13 odd years as manager he’s had one promotion.

Why is this season any different? We weren’t ready when the season began, wasted a lot of opportunities for points in the first 10 games essentially ending any chance of automatic promotion and then spent poorly on players. We’re going to have a mess of 30+ year old players and ending contracts when the season ends.

A draw at Hillsborough is credible but in a season when we’re not going up or down, I can’t really care about it. Wake me up in April when this boring season is done.

EDIT. Even WATG can’t be bothered with staying on air either 😅.

That’s how I feel.

It’s clear theres a 70/75% making of a very good squad/side there.

Roll on the summer. A new manager who gets that extra 25/30% and we will P**s the division.

Merry Christmas,
Up the Oxford.

You honestly think if the designated penalty taker had taken the penalty and missed, and Josh Murphy had just stood there quietly rather than literally pushing him aside, people would have criticised him?!

You cannot be serious. Sorry, but if you physically shove aside James Henry because you want to take the penalty, then you’d better back that up with a great penalty or yes, you’ll be criticised, and rightly so. It was a poor penalty, and petulant of him to demand it.

But then, apparently you don’t think there’s any such thing as a ‘bad’ penalty, which is so insane I don’t even know where to start.
I’m absolutely serious and you’re right, it’s a terrible argument but it would’ve happened.

Penalties that miss the target are bad penalties; they’re the only ones. As I said in an earlier post, the minimum criteria is hit the target. The rest is a mind game.

Just such a moronic post in so many ways
Really? Thanks for the playground level name calling. Two players at two times of the game didn’t perform. One bad miss, forgivable? Maybe. A second bad miss? Not for me. A game that we should have won but didn’t have the quality to get it over the line.

An away point is always good but ultimately that’s 2 points dropped today. Great play for the most part but we lack that cutting edge right now in the final 3rd. Poor decision making and finishing is costing us. Well done to GOD for almost winning us the game. Great play to win the penalty. That said, I think we we need an additional striker.

I had become so used to a rubbish result or a rubbish performance or both I had become immune to it. But a draw away at Sheff Wed and I feel really grumpy now.

when we played odonkor we beat Bolton 3-1 we need to start him seriously he’s faster than Taylor stronger better passing everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom