Away Match Day Thread 16/09/2023 L1: Fleetwood v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
It’s felt like ages since that loss to Port Vale.

Fleetwood seem to be a bogey team and with the suspensions (Harris and Leigh) and international player injuries (Brown and Goodrham), it’s going to be tough!

Has anyone seen how many we took to Fleetwood? Seemed like a decent turn out given the distance, but OxMail article says TBC...

ITV, having taken the programme from Quest, kept the format pretty much the same last season, apart from dropping guests who knew what they're talking about. But ITV are losing the rights (to Sky I think?) so have really clamped down on the costs. No studio, no guests, shorter clips.

It's complete a**e, we do deserve better, and whether we'll get it next season, who knows?
Do many people watch the highlights show nowadays though? When the video highlights are up at 7pm to watch online free, there isn't that incentive to sit through the whole show to wait for your team's highlights. I'm not sure many watch the show now, which is why in recent years its hot potatoed between Channel 5, Quest and late night ITV.

Why don't we all ignore the fact that we won 3-0 away from home, keeping a clean sheet, and are third in the table and complain about individual errors from Long, Brown and Thorniley instead? It's not as if the other outfield players were faultless for the 90 plus minutes. We're all entitled to our opinions, I appreciate that, but I find the costing carping about certain individuals thoroughly depressing. I was at the game and have had a terrific weekend. Can't we all just enjoy the moment for a few days, eh.
Pleased you had a good weekend.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion of course, but I do agree that with our second clean sheet, the criticism of Long Brown and now Thorniley is so strong.

There is nothing wrong with criticism towards a player win lose or draw. If the player/s are putting in a below par performance then it’s fair game. There is also nothing wrong with pointing out our weak areas on the pitch. What we need to do is identify them weaknesses, and address them when we can.

Do many people watch the highlights show nowadays though? When the video highlights are up at 7pm to watch online free, there isn't that incentive to sit through the whole show to wait for your team's highlights. I'm not sure many watch the show now, which is why in recent years its hot potatoed between Channel 5, Quest and late night ITV.
Yeah, I don't think it's got a massive audience. I happen to like it (or rather used to) as you can see other teams in your league, but I only watch the League 1 segment. Unless the Swine have been hammered, of course.

I'm still watching it but more out of habit, not sure how much longer I'll do so.

Why don't we all ignore the fact that we won 3-0 away from home, keeping a clean sheet, and are third in the table and complain about individual errors from Long, Brown and Thorniley instead? It's not as if the other outfield players were faultless for the 90 plus minutes. We're all entitled to our opinions, I appreciate that, but I find the costing carping about certain individuals thoroughly depressing. I was at the game and have had a terrific weekend. Can't we all just enjoy the moment for a few days, eh.

FFS.

Everyone enjoyed yesterday, it was fantastic. But the sign of a top side (and club) is one that continually looks to improve, to iron out any deficiencies.

We look superb this season. I am delighted with everything I'm watching. It's shaping up beautifully. But people are still allowed to point out where a couple of tweaks might make us even better.

I'm once again left feeling that, whilst the club is clearly on an upward trajectory, we're having to try and drag some of our own supporters with us.

ITV, having taken the programme from Quest, kept the format pretty much the same last season, apart from dropping guests who knew what they're talking about. But ITV are losing the rights (to Sky I think?) so have really clamped down on the costs. No studio, no guests, shorter clips.

It's complete a**e, we do deserve better, and whether we'll get it next season, who knows?
The thing is though, we want longer highlights of our game but would rather have shorter ones for Millwall v Cardiff and Colchester v Salford. There are so many games it becomes tedious and no one is happy. It might be better just to show longer highlights from a handful of games, you can always find your goals online.

Can’t put my finger on it with Thorniley but I feel the same way I felt about him when he was on loan. I don’t think he has a particular presence about him, he has a preference for long balls and when a chance comes against us, he never seems to be near the action and you’re left scratching your head where he was during it all. Negru on the other hand delivers on all the above and his distribution, though describing himself as old school, is very good. He models himself on John Terry and I can see that completely in his approach.

Manning seems to be able to unlock something in players so maybe, when we reflect on the season, he’ll be someone we said we couldn’t have done it without. But for now the jury is out for me and I wonder whether someone with a bit more presence, aggression and guile would’ve been better. He’s a warrior, I’ll give him that.
I think a reason is because Manning ideally wants a left footed centre back, as it opens up more angles and opportunities to play through the thirds.

I do remember saying to my friend during the Vale game that quite a lot of his passes were across his body to Leigh (due to being right footed) and were therefore quite telegraphed. He also seemed a little more uncomfortable playing out than before.

A left footed player in that position probably opens up so much more that we can’t see. It’s still extremely harsh on Negru as he’s not really put a foot wrong defensively. But there will be plenty more opportunities for him to play this season.

Jesus Christ we don’t half have some snowflakes around here.

Read my first post where this started. All positive bar two things which are nothing new and not at all a reflection of Saturday, just an ongoing observation I have that I still felt was evident despite an excellent 3-0 win.

By focusing on those things ahead of the 4 or 5 positives I gave, you’re doing exactly what you’re accusing me of.

Are VPN's free?
Got ours as part of McAfee suite so not free but not expensive. There are loads out there, worth a google. I did read that the good ones have servers in whichever country you wish to appear to be resident.
The real trick is to clear all cookies prior to logging into iFollow. I also use one account for the UK and another for the VPN and pay with a credit card that doesn't charge for foreign currency transactions.

FFS.

Everyone enjoyed yesterday, it was fantastic. But the sign of a top side (and club) is one that continually looks to improve, to iron out any deficiencies.

We look superb this season. I am delighted with everything I'm watching. It's shaping up beautifully. But people are still allowed to point out where a couple of tweaks might make us even better.

I'm once again left feeling that, whilst the club is clearly on an upward trajectory, we're having to try and drag some of our own supporters with us.
Everyone is always aware of the tweaks that could make us better, whether we win lose or draw, and most of us will highlight these issues ourselves as well.

But there are some who are consistently slating Long and Brown as not being good enough, and I think over the summer, plenty (myself included) agreed we needed to be looking to upgrade or at least bring in quality competition from more attack minded full backs.

But there were also plenty (myself included) who didn't think they were as bad as some were making out, Brown was player of the season, and although Leigh certainly looks like he's gonna put him under a lot of pressure, Brown has been a consistently steady performer so far this season.

Long's form has massively improved since Manning came in, he's been looking much more like his old self, and has been a consistent 7/10-7.5/10 performer so far this season, and as things stand, is hands down our first choice RB at the moment.

Sure they've made mistakes, and need to improve on certain things, but so can all of them, even McGuane, who so far has been incredible.

But so far, they've been consistently solid performers, in a so far consistently solid performing side. Only 2 teams have scored more than us, and only 6 have conceded less, so our full backs must be doing something right, and for that, they deserve a bit of credit, not the constant stick they (particularly Long) seem to be getting.

FFS.

Why you feel the need to preface your response with 'FFS' I can only only speculate. And I can assure you that I am fully supportive and appreciative of the club's current upward trajectory. My original point was a disagreement with the almost forensic analysis of the supposed defensive deficiencies leading to Jayden Stockley's header against the bar. No appreciation of the skill exhibited on his part or the fact that James Beadle watched it sail straight past him without moving a muscle. There are a number of players in the current squad who will probably not cut it in the Championship, but it seems to me that it's the same two or three who continually suffer criticism. All I'm asking is parity for all.

I don’t have an issue with saying we can improve on Long, which I’ve already agreed with, but I think some people have a strange compulsion to criticise him at every opportunity and - apparently - at times when there isn’t much opportunity at all.

If Long didn’t influence play, why didn’t Stockley score?

We won 3-0 with a clean sheet away from home and you’ve called him “abject” for allowing a centre forward he wasn’t responsible for marking to get away an off-target header.

That’s allowing your other opinions and experiences of Long to get in the way of seeing what was actually in front of you.
I saw the Stockley header, but not his marker .
Prior to that it had been Brannagan

There are a number of players in the current squad who will probably not cut it in the Championship, but it seems to me that it's the same two or three who continually suffer criticism. All I'm asking is parity for all.
They’re probably entitled to that if they are among the two or three weakest performers each week?

If everybody else is at a 9 or 10 out of 10 every week bar those two or three whose clear ceiling is a 7 and not much more, they’re the areas for improvement if you want to get better. Even if you can get by with those players, it doesn’t change the fact they are the problem areas.

They’re probably entitled to that if they are among the two or three weakest performers each week?

If everybody else is at a 9 or 10 out of 10 every week bar those two or three whose clear ceiling is a 7 and not much more, they’re the areas for improvement if you want to get better. Even if you can get by with those players, it doesn’t change the fact they are the problem areas.

But everybody else isn't at 9 or 10 every week.

It's 2026 and Oxford are walking out in their new stadium as PL champions after an incredible run that saw them win back to back to back titles!

Meanwhile on the Oxford Forum conversations continue about s**t fullbacks, not having a striker and whether or not Karl Robinson ever got anyone decent on loan or not!!!

This season we’ve conceded 7 league goals in the 7 games played.
in the 5/6 league games Long/Brown have started, we’ve conceded 5, less than a goal a game.
4 of which were away from home, 3 wins and 9points. On travels including the likes of Barnsley and Derby
The remaining 2 goals against came in the home game neither played in. Port Vale.

I saw the Stockley header, but not his marker .
Prior to that it had been Brannagan
Just seen the clip.
No 14,Marriott,beats Thorniley and Brown and passes to No 11Broom who crosses the ball.
Moore is in front of Stockley,missed it and Long, who was behind the No9,headed away to safety when it rebounded off the bar .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom