Away Match Day Thread 16/09/2023 L1: Fleetwood v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
It’s felt like ages since that loss to Port Vale.

Fleetwood seem to be a bogey team and with the suspensions (Harris and Leigh) and international player injuries (Brown and Goodrham), it’s going to be tough!

Don’t disagree with any of this. We might be able to improve on Long, but Fleetwood felt like the wrong performance to bring in a criticism of him (for me).
Fair enough. I felt yesterday he was what Sam is at best, steady. He was fortunate not to concede a penalty which was avoidable and a few crosses/headers were wayward but ultimately when no damage is done as a result of all that, he lives to fight another day! He still, for me, looks like the obvious area of our team to target if you are the opponent and the rest of the team may play well enough that this doesn’t hurt us too often. Ultimately it’s not games like yesterday that really highlight the problem. They played right in to our hands.

Sometimes we'll play with full-backs, sometimes we'll play with wing-backs. As long as we win it's all good.

Yes I was. The header I’m referring to hit the bar and is on the main highlight clip.

When else did they hit the bar?

Great to hear you was there.

If Long is in position to influence the play (e.g head the ball away (!) or impede the attacker for instance), in what guise would it be possible to defend him for just getting in position to make a difference, even though he actually doesn’t, as the striker gets the attempt away anyway?

Not you specifically, but It seems a strange compulsion to defend abject moments from Sam Long. He is a very average league 1 defender. I’m not sure average is what the rest of the squad and management are representing.

Great to hear you was there.

If Long is in position to influence the play (e.g head the ball away (!) or impede the attacker for instance), in what guise would it be possible to defend him for just getting in position to make a difference, even though he actually doesn’t, as the striker gets the attempt away anyway?

Not you specifically, but It seems a strange compulsion to defend abject moments from Sam Long. He is a very average league 1 defender. I’m not sure average is what the rest of the squad and management are representing.
I don’t have an issue with saying we can improve on Long, which I’ve already agreed with, but I think some people have a strange compulsion to criticise him at every opportunity and - apparently - at times when there isn’t much opportunity at all.

If Long didn’t influence play, why didn’t Stockley score?

We won 3-0 with a clean sheet away from home and you’ve called him “abject” for allowing a centre forward he wasn’t responsible for marking to get away an off-target header.

That’s allowing your other opinions and experiences of Long to get in the way of seeing what was actually in front of you.

I don’t have an issue with saying we can improve on Long, which I’ve already agreed with, but I think some people have a strange compulsion to criticise him at every opportunity and - apparently - at times when there isn’t much opportunity at all.

If Long didn’t influence play, why didn’t Stockley score?

We won 3-0 with a clean sheet away from home and you’ve called him “abject” for allowing a centre forward he wasn’t responsible for marking to get away an off-target header.

That’s allowing your other opinions and experiences of Long to get in the way of seeing what was actually in front of you.

‘If Long didn’t influence play, why didn’t Stockley score’? - It’s like asking, if a keeper doesn’t save it, why does a striker miss the target from a penalty.

I’ve enjoyed the win and I was happy with the team performance, as stated.

Long was far from faultless yesterday. If those with a compulsion to defend his every performance cannot see that he’s limited in game then they are refusing to accept what is in front of them. Yesterday was much of the same.

‘If Long didn’t influence play, why didn’t Stockley score’? - It’s like asking, if a keeper doesn’t save it, why does a striker miss the target from a penalty.
Or indeed, like asking how Stockley got his header away in the first place ;)

Or indeed, like asking how Stockley got his header away in the first place ;)

Watch it…you’ll see it as I did at the time. You tell me that Long didn’t stand and watch Stockley head the ball, 6 yards from goal and I will tell you that Long is Cafu.

Watch it…you’ll see it as I did at the time. You tell me that Long didn’t stand and watch Stockley head the ball, 6 yards from goal and I will tell you that Long is Cafu.
We have already established that we both watched it live, that I watched it on replay, and you didn’t.

I don’t agree with your take on it and I don’t think you’re going to convince me so we can probably leave this as one of this disagreements on what happened that you said earlier was the entire point of the forum.

(After you tell me that Long is Cafu, because otherwise you’re a dirty liar.)

Brown is the defender at fault here. He let the winger in for the cross after being comfortably outpaced.

No one else to ‘blame’.
Thorniley was weak in the build up as well. He was also done at the beginning of the extended highlights but I didn’t see the whole game so I don’t know how he did overall, but I’ve yet to be convinced from what I’ve seen since he’s been back - I feel like Negru has been the better of the two.

Thorniley was weak in the build up as well. He was also done at the beginning of the extended highlights but I didn’t see the whole game so I don’t know how he did overall, but I’ve yet to be convinced from what I’ve seen since he’s been back - I feel like Negru has been the better of the two.
Can’t put my finger on it with Thorniley but I feel the same way I felt about him when he was on loan. I don’t think he has a particular presence about him, he has a preference for long balls and when a chance comes against us, he never seems to be near the action and you’re left scratching your head where he was during it all. Negru on the other hand delivers on all the above and his distribution, though describing himself as old school, is very good. He models himself on John Terry and I can see that completely in his approach.

Manning seems to be able to unlock something in players so maybe, when we reflect on the season, he’ll be someone we said we couldn’t have done it without. But for now the jury is out for me and I wonder whether someone with a bit more presence, aggression and guile would’ve been better. He’s a warrior, I’ll give him that.

We have already established that we both watched it live, that I watched it on replay, and you didn’t.

I don’t agree with your take on it and I don’t think you’re going to convince me so we can probably leave this as one of this disagreements on what happened that you said earlier was the entire point of the forum.

(After you tell me that Long is Cafu, because otherwise you’re a dirty liar.)

Yeah, let’s leave it there and see where our RB situation sits in 6 months and this time next year 👍🏼

Can’t put my finger on it with Thorniley but I feel the same way I felt about him when he was on loan. I don’t think he has a particular presence about him, he has a preference for long balls and when a chance comes against us, he never seems to be near the action and you’re left scratching your head where he was during it all. Negru on the other hand delivers on all the above and his distribution, though describing himself as old school, is very good. He models himself on John Terry and I can see that completely in his approach.

Manning seems to be able to unlock something in players so maybe, when we reflect on the season, he’ll be someone we said we couldn’t have done it without. But for now the jury is out for me and I wonder whether someone with a bit more presence, aggression and guile would’ve been better. He’s a warrior, I’ll give him that.
Why don't we all ignore the fact that we won 3-0 away from home, keeping a clean sheet, and are third in the table and complain about individual errors from Long, Brown and Thorniley instead? It's not as if the other outfield players were faultless for the 90 plus minutes. We're all entitled to our opinions, I appreciate that, but I find the costing carping about certain individuals thoroughly depressing. I was at the game and have had a terrific weekend. Can't we all just enjoy the moment for a few days, eh.

Just saw the highlights. 3 quality goals, if you blinked though you would miss them. It's probably been said before on here, but that programme is really poor, worse than the Quest version because the few seconds of play shown from each match is dwarfed by ads and pointless chat. It's half an hour shorter too. Doesn't the EFL and its fans deserve better?
ITV, having taken the programme from Quest, kept the format pretty much the same last season, apart from dropping guests who knew what they're talking about. But ITV are losing the rights (to Sky I think?) so have really clamped down on the costs. No studio, no guests, shorter clips.

It's complete a**e, we do deserve better, and whether we'll get it next season, who knows?

ITV, having taken the programme from Quest, kept the format pretty much the same last season, apart from dropping guests who knew what they're talking about. But ITV are losing the rights (to Sky I think?) so have really clamped down on the costs. No studio, no guests, shorter clips.

It's complete a**e, we do deserve better, and whether we'll get it next season, who knows?

Are Sky showing them free to air as they have a highlights programme already?

Are Sky showing them free to air as they have a highlights programme already?

No idea yet. All I know is that it's a huge deal with the EFL allowing Sky to show more live games, don't know how it's going to pan out.

Back
Top Bottom