Home Match Day Thread 15/12/2020 L1 OUFC v Northampton Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back great second half a bit like Lincoln away last season it just seemed to click, the potential is definitely there just need to have the confidence to play at pace, Northampton second division cloggers and the Ref definitely lower league as well.

Incredible turn around, totally different team to the rest of the season.
Great to see both Taylor and Agyei in the goals, and Hanson playing his part.
Get Brannigan back with the summer striker, and in a league where no one apart from Hull seems to stand out, it could be a good year.
We need to do a little housekeeping come the transfer window, and as important as anything is keep the injury rate down.
Im not sure were in for a good year. Tonight was decent, lets enjoy that, and then return focus to the relegation battle we are in.

I was pleasantly surprised tonight. Northampton looked direct and capable of breaking us down in the first half, but our quality on the ball went up in the 2nd - the OUFC I remember. We moved it a little quicker, needed less touches, and were a lot braver with the footy.

The fans did make a difference too...pretty pleased with that all in all. A good nights work!

First half total crap. Defense reasonable. Midfield non existent. Taylor totally isolated. The only quality crosses came from Sam Long and Ruffels.

Then came the subs. Mousinho off and Sam long in his place which immediately tightened up the central defense. Claire came on and immediately attacked and frightened the life out of the Northampton defenders. Taylor finally got a couple of real chance and put them away. By this time Northampton were totally shot and Shodipo and Agyei finished them off.

Happy at home now.

Not surprised City beat that
shower. This is not a good league. So unfit, so lacking in skill. Relegation fodder.

I expect us to va va voom up the table. To halfway.

Lesser spotted Hanson did well when he came on. Even passed the ball a bit.

Long again very impressive. Tough, spirited and adaptable. .

Ruffs started to look like Roberto Carlos in last 15 minutes. Couple of goals and the confidence floods back.

Hope Mous is ok.

Last edited:
Hopefully kickstart the season we have potential. Just were not ready to start this season. A couple of wins will catapult us up the table.

Im not sure were in for a good year. Tonight was decent, lets enjoy that, and then return focus to the relegation battle we are in.
Mmm. Let's see. A couple more wins and we could be half way.
You were suggesting a couple of weeks ago that Whyte shouldn't come here as he would 'have a relegation on his CV'.
So maybe that shows what you know?

Excellent 2nd half against a surprisingly well organised Northampton team ( 1st half ) we always struggle against direct football and we did to begin with...confidence flowing back and cant ask for more than that result.
Liked their big guy Smith up front , a real handful but rest of side not much .
COYY

We may be in a relegation scrap at the moment. But there is still 29 games to play and 87 points to play for. Now I'm not saying we are going to storm up the table and get in the play offs. But the season is certainly not over or lost especially when we are only 13 points off second place Pompey and with a game in hand on them. Good recruitment in January and good run of results who knows. Tonight is the first time I believe we won't be relegated and will finish bottom half at worse.

That 1st half was hardwork watching.

But the 2nd half was just magnificent. They came out wanting it which was great to see.

Some thoughts:

- Sam Long was excellent again (as was Elliott Moore) and moving defensive positions just doesn't phase him. My man of the match as a result which may seem strange in a 4-0 win.

- The central midfield (Gorrin, McGuane and Kelly) utterly dominated in the 2nd half which was great to see. If McGuane and Kelly can keep reproducing that style of play (albeit against a depleted Northampton) then I have hope we can keep improving.

- I've criticised Shodipo a fair bit but if he can put that application in over most of a game again, and keep attacking when he has the ball at his feet like he did in the 2nd half, then he may yet be a very good signing. He does need to mix it up going on the outside a bit more as well as cutting in. Good goal again though.

- Pleased for Dan Agyei with 2 great bits of play for the goal and setting up Matty Taylor's 2nd.

- Hopefully those 2 goals for Matty Taylor helps him kick on. He did get some good crosses to feed off tonight. Loved his determination to win the ball and score that 1st goal. Stupid booking mind.

- Sean Clare was excellent as an attacking full back in that the 2nd half and he set the mood/tempo for that 2nd half with his attitude on the ball the 1st time he got it. And his defending on one cross was superbly done. Did well for the 1st goal and nice to see a deflection help the cross which put their keeper completely out of position.

- Ruffs was unlucky not to score tonight and Sam Long should have scored from that beautifully worked freekick.

- James Henry looked like he was getting back to some form as his corners and free kicks were generally pretty good. Sometimes he needs to try to find somebody other than Matty Taylor from open play when attacking. As defending against him, if you have an idea where Matty Taylor is, far more often than not that will be where the ball goes towards.

- Jack Stevens did what he had to do tonight. Very good on crosses even when under pressure. The defensive unit looks so much more comfortable with him there at the moment.

- The work rate/pressing from the team right up to the end was superb. Big up to Robbie Hall pressing and winning the ball for the 4th goal.

- Fantastic for the 2k there tonight.

- Sadly, it really doesn't look good for Mous.

Last edited:
Incredible turn around, totally different team to the rest of the season.
Great to see both Taylor and Agyei in the goals, and Hanson playing his part.
Get Brannigan back with the summer striker, and in a league where no one apart from Hull seems to stand out, it could be a good year.
We need to do a little housekeeping come the transfer window, and as important as anything is keep the injury rate down.
I’m loving this new you!! 😍πŸ₯°

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom