Away Match Day Thread 15/01/2022 L1: Wycombe Wanderers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is "Lino, lino, you're a c**t" more or less offensive? Discuss....
No it’s not your correct but tragically that chant goes on at clubs whether it’s the officials or a player. The first time I heard that was Oxford v Newcastle aimed at Duberry and watching him laugh over it made me chuckle at least they dissent use the colour of his skin for a target of abuse.
Have you ever called someone a c**t? I have am I proud no I’m not, it’s the one word which I think is degrading when used as an abuse.

Ps I was called a c**t first so I replied.

What a shambles of a match. I just don’t know how Wycombe get away with it with their style of football. Their kicking pushing and holding of our players was unacceptable. Unfortunately apart from the first 20 minutes of the first half where we should have scored and played to our strength, we somehow allowed Wycombe to basically boss the game with their thuggery tactics. Also not just the fan on the pitch but also the fan on the sideline of the main stand deliberately trying to trip up our player who was collecting the ball for a throw in what’s all that about. Their ground is a dump, we moan about the kasstad but their’s is worse. With this game I new that there would be stuff kicking off. Near us, somebody smashed two seats, I heard a young lad call out pineapple head to a player. At the end I clapped our players and some bloke comment justiculate about Robinson is a w@@ker. I said why?.he said that w@@nker will never get us promoted. With these allegations of homophobic comments as well, it’s been the worst match that I have seen for sometime. We need players and fans stick together to get through this. With the allegations of homophobic comments, this will not help the case in our bid to build another stadium.

Yeah I bet there’s loads of people with their hand up saying ‘I want to be a c***’
Really missing the point here. You aren't born a c**t. You become one by personal choices and actions. I didn't choose my sexuality. I was born as I am. Yet people use it as a way to insult and ridicule as if I should be ashamed to be who I am, when in reality it's the c**t who should be ashamed.

Personally i wouldn't use that word in relation to something small like a bad referee, but the two situations aren't comparable.

Very bad day at the office all around, Wycombe looked a decent outfit and once again Robinson and our players got outfought, outthought and outclassed. Wycombe seemed to have that swagger today, we didn’t. Their centre have was class, the huge beast, he was first to everything. This should be a wake up call and by the way, is this acceptable:-

Oxford boys we’re on a bender, Akinfenwa is a sex offender.

No, its not, we’re in different times now. Very disappointed on all fronts and have to say the fireworks were the final nail in the coffin.

IMHO The takeover needs sorting out PDQ, hopefully the ground situation is progressing.

Oxford United don’t do things the simple way…..

Having been right in the middle of the ‘action’ today I’ve got to say I was embarrassed by a larger than normal group of idiots today. Unfortunately following the rules of sitting in our seats today did me and my family no favours.

Luckily we have raised my 12 year old son well enough to know that certain behaviour isn’t acceptable in any situation. Yes, he hears me swear a lot get the hump and show passion……but there is a line.

On the flip side, the way that Wycombe dealt with the fan on the pitch with no acknowledgement on the tannoy, the idiot pushing Whyte or the fireworks at the end was nothing short of disgraceful.

Lads, if you can’t handle your beer/gear or can’t keep certain opinions to yourself……STAY AWAY!!!

Is "Lino, lino, you're a c**t" more or less offensive? Discuss....
No that's not offensive, it's just calling someone a c**t. That's what's great about that word, it can be applied to anybody.

Then again I've watched a lot of Jim Jeffries sketches so the word has been dulled down a lot in my mind to be more of a comedic insult rather than abuse.

Last edited:
Very bad day at the office all around, Wycombe looked a decent outfit and once again Robinson and our players got outfought, outthought and outclassed. Wycombe seemed to have that swagger today, we didn’t. Their centre have was class, the huge beast, he was first to everything. This should be a wake up call and by the way, is this acceptable:-

No, its not, we’re in different times now. Very disappointed on all fronts and have to say the fireworks were the final nail in the coffin.

IMHO The takeover needs sorting out PDQ, hopefully the ground situation is progressing.

Their centre backs were quality but they didn’t have the most demanding of games. That was as comfortable an afternoon as they’ll have all season.

Yes, the "Who's the gayboy in the pink" chant was unedifying but it was ridiculing the player for the fact that he was wearing pink not for his sexuality. If a player was targeted for actually being gay then surely that would be much more unacceptable

Generally agree although I don’t think Wycombe have got classy players, if they were, why would they resort to thuggery tactics.

I thought Wycombe were quality today, we were miles behind them. Sure the odd foul but nothing serious.

Yes, the "Who's the gayboy in the pink" chant was unedifying but it was ridiculing the player for the fact that he was wearing pink not for his sexuality. If a player was targeted for actually being gay then surely that would be much more unacceptable
It's the enforcement of a negative stereotype that is the issue. While not inherently overtly offensive in a direct way, it's still giving the impression that wearing pink makes you gay and that's something to be ashamed of or worthy of ridicule for. They didn't say "who's the footballer in the pink" they said "who's the gayboy in the pink". The implication is that it's bad to be gay and he must be gay because he's in pink.

It's particularly thick headed of the "fans" given our GK kit last season was pink too!

I'm genuinely baffled. Quote back to me the third word of that chant and explain how its usage in this context has nothing to do with gay people and the lazy stereotype that someone wearing pink must be gay. It doesn't matter who the target was, it's a chant using homosexuality as a putdown, suggesting it's something to be ashamed of, mocked and ridiculed.

Do you not agree that the targeting of a gay man would be more offensive then?
This isn't a game of offence top trumps. Any chant where being gay is the punchline is bad, the severity in this context is irrelevant. What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter who the subject is and what their sexuality is, it is wrong.

Was it our supporters who were breaking chairs? If so that has to be the single most stupid thing to do in the week before a council meeting to discuss a shiny new stadium?

Maybe they were 5th columnists from the South Kidlington NIMBY Brigade.

That and fighting and abuse of a level that has to be formally reported. Jeez :(

It’s easy for me to say as someone who can’t physically make it to games, but it would be really nice if the 99% we’ll motivated bystanders could work together to intervene and silence the morons and help create a safer environment for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom