13/08/22 - L1: Bristol Rovers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said Colin.

People will remember me defending Karl in April/May, simply saying he absolutely deserved another crack but he had one remit, to address the problem areas that cost us again and build on what we had in the building. At the moment, in my view, he has really failed miserably at doing that (with the exception of Findlay for McNally who adds needed experience). I am sure he has had lots of challenges but likewise, I just sense the recruitment this summer has been just lazy.

He even came out last week in an iFollow interview last week to address the perception he is the decision-maker at the club and to dismiss everything has to be passed by him. All rather interesting.

He constantly reads the room incorrectly. His silly comments that we have done well in recent weeks, including yesterday, is just a slap in the face. We're absolutely dreadful. We have filled players around Taylor with players who have no pace (Marcus B the exception), we have, to date, no pace, energy up top. So not only did he not address the problem areas (full backs, pace to replace Sykes, holding midfielder, his decision on the keeper, support for Taylor), he has brought in players who have serious question marks over recent game time and injuries. I'd be giving him a 4/10 for the recruitment.

We all looked to October as the month of death. August could be the month of death.

We look a far worse side that last season. We seem to be a mirror image of another 'United'.
We’ve got a team with a lot of individuals who haven’t had enough game time for themselves, never mind for a team to gel.

Many said a month or more ago we needed to get business done early to enable the team to hit the ground running, but we’ve not address the key issues which were, get the business done early, fullbacks, pace, fitness/athleticism/physicality. We’ve got a mixture of individuals or players who’s legs have gone, so add to the fact that a number of these players haven’t played/started matches for a great deal of time and you end up with what we’ve got.

Karl likes to be one of the boys/liked, and I’m afraid that’s how it feels re: his recruitment e.g. one for the boys/mates!

Sorry to hear that. Hope things are improving for you.
We all have one thing in common regardless of opinion we’re all yellows! Sometimes easy to forget what’s really important.
I hope the lads put a smile on you Tuesday night.

Thanks and thanks to others that replied. On reflection I think I was being overly dramatic in a moment of annoyance. In comparison, the s**t I'm shovelling is minor compared to the health and family issues so many members refer to on here.

We bought a house in 2017 which has turned out to be a nightmare trying to extend and refurb. All sorts of issues and didn't make a good choice of builder. Upshot is it's uninhabitable at present. A sort of OUFC at the wind tunnel with Clotet in charge situation.

I'm very slowly unravelling the issues (at KR pace 😉) but it's scratching at the surface until I get new full backs and a striker (small wood beam, stud walls and last knock through) sorted.

Hate seeing my family crammed into a rental while this drags on. Again, insignificant to the problems of many but it does play on the mind to keep me awake at night.

See you all on Tuesday. COYY

KR has 2 weeks to bring in some quality players if not fans will turn. They say we have a top6 budget not so sure may be the board have tightened the purse strings.

We have a very strong budget and it’s definitely top six maybe even four.

KR has wasted a lot of time in this window, and could of got things moving much quicker. Like Brahma said it’s been (lazy)! Not wrong there.

I’m not sure where peoples tipping points are, but these first 8 fixtures looked incredibly favourable, and no disrespect to those clubs, but we should of been aiming for 18-20 points from them. But because we have been slow and lethargic with our activity, it’s coming back to haunt us. We’ve yet again started slowly. Ipswich Sheff Wed and Plymouth have got off to reasonable starts, as Have Barnsley, and Portsmouth. We can’t afford to keep playing catch up, it’s a seasonal thing under KR, and it’s not good enough.

If I had my way I’d sack him, and pay compensation to Cambridge, and bring Bonner in, along with a director of football, and two new coaches. Bonner always comes across well in the media, and never deflects blame from himself, and his team. KR never accepts criticism and never his fault, and throws players under the buses.

I’m fed up, with the same routine season after season, and want this club to be successful, but unfortunately KR won’t be able to bring that. He will get the ocassional big win ie West Ham, but a promotion nah not in a cat in hells chance.

We have a very strong budget and it’s definitely top six maybe even four.

KR has wasted a lot of time in this window, and could of got things moving much quicker. Like Brahma said it’s been (lazy)! Not wrong there.

I’m not sure where peoples tipping points are, but these first 8 fixtures looked incredibly favourable, and no disrespect to those clubs, but we should of been aiming for 18-20 points from them. But because we have been slow and lethargic with our activity, it’s coming back to haunt us. We’ve yet again started slowly. Ipswich Sheff Wed and Plymouth have got off to reasonable starts, as Have Barnsley, and Portsmouth. We can’t afford to keep playing catch up, it’s a seasonal thing under KR, and it’s not good enough.

If I had my way I’d sack him, and pay compensation to Cambridge, and bring Bonner in, along with a director of football, and two new coaches. Bonner always comes across well in the media, and never deflects blame from himself, and his team. KR never accepts criticism and never his fault, and throws players under the buses.

I’m fed up, with the same routine season after season, and want this club to be successful, but unfortunately KR won’t be able to bring that. He will get the ocassional big win ie West Ham, but a promotion nah not in a cat in hells chance.
Barnsley are one place above us in the table

I also want to add, I thought taking Matty off yesterday was a right kick in the teeth. Just as you want your top striker to hit form/build confidence you take him off against his old club who would have loved that to happen.

Yes, things weren’t going right for him, but if there was ever a time to go 2 up top, especially with the hopeless long ball/non directional passes to Matty, then it was yesterday.

He did the same with Eastwood after the Swindon game and he’s never really recovered since, just hope he’s not done to the same to Matty.

He says he protects the players, but I’d question that at times.

Yesterday reminded me when I think it was Wilder put on a player only to substitute him 10-15mins later at Rovers. Cannot remember the player, but probably not the best way to get the best out of a player.

Barnsley are one place above us in the table
Yes but look at who they’ve played. 2 tough games, and we’ve played one v Derby. All our performances have been dreadful so far, apart from a bit of luck in the cup, and a moment of quality from a youngster.

I bet Barnsley beat Bristol Rovers on Tuesday.

Yes but look at who they’ve played. 2 tough games, and we’ve played one v Derby. All our performances have been dreadful so far, apart from a bit of luck in the cup, and a moment of quality from a youngster.

I bet Barnsley beat Bristol Rovers on Tuesday.
You said they got off to a reasonable start. What’s not to say our games haven’t been tough? Cambridge and Bristol Rovers could be top 10 at end of the season, it’s too early to tell though.

You said they got off to a reasonable start. What’s not to say our games haven’t been tough? Cambridge and Bristol Rovers could be top 10 at end of the season, it’s too early to tell though.

Not a chance Rovers and Cambridge will be top half.

1) Ipswich
2) Sheff Wed
3) Bolton
4) Plymouth
5) Portsmouth
6) Peterborough
7) Barnsley
8) Wycombe
9) Charlton
10) OUFC
11) MK Dons
12) Shrewsbury

Not a chance Rovers and Cambridge will be top half.

1) Ipswich
2) Sheff Wed
3) Bolton
4) Plymouth
5) Portsmouth
6) Peterborough
7) Barnsley
8) Wycombe
9) Charlton
10) OUFC
11) MK Dons
12) Shrewsbury
I never said they would be, but 3 games in there’s nothing to judge the opposition on, so how can you say our games are more/less tough than others?

Why bring Jones on in the 89th minute and not earlier? Does his fleeting appearance mean that’s now cost the club money on a game pay per play basis? If so at least give him 25 minutes or more. No point paying money out for a couple of minutes! 🤔
He did that when we had Mackie on a pay-as-you-play as well, so many times brought off the bench on 88+ minutes.

I guess it helps keeps those players happy in the early part of the season, so that they're not disgruntled when we need them later on.

Last edited:
Having watched yesterday’s game on ifollow, there’s nothing much more to really add regarding our performance, very poor from 20 minutes in, pace and power clearly missing all over the pitch.

A couple of small observations however, which may have already been mentioned, so sorry if I’m repeating:

Why didn’t we bring Ciaron Brown on? He has at least got a long throw that could have aided us towards the end of the game, and added something different at least, particularly when Joseph added some much needed height up front, tho realise we are a fairly small side especially with the subs that were made.

Why bring Jones on in the 89th minute and not earlier? Does his fleeting appearance mean that’s now cost the club money on a game pay per play basis? If so at least give him 25 minutes or more. No point paying money out for a couple of minutes! 🤔
The Jones deal is not costing the club a lot at all, it’s a good deal for us and the player and not a lot of pressure/expectation on either party in terms of game time.

The next 4 league games.

Lincoln (h), Morecambe (h), Cheltenham (a), Burton (h)

12 points.

Having watched yesterday’s game on ifollow, there’s nothing much more to really add regarding our performance, very poor from 20 minutes in, pace and power clearly missing all over the pitch.

A couple of small observations however, which may have already been mentioned, so sorry if I’m repeating:

Why didn’t we bring Ciaron Brown on? He has at least got a long throw that could have aided us towards the end of the game, and added something different at least, particularly when Joseph added some much needed height up front, tho realise we are a fairly small side especially with the subs that were made.

Would have played Brown from the start he is a physical no nonsense defender

I would have switched Bodin and Browne and Jones should have come on for Henry.

Great to see Joseph but we needed a goal so Taylor and Joseph should have been on together.
Also substitutions should have been made earlier, if it’s not working and it wasn’t yesterday make changes sooner. Henry could have gone off at half time now we have five subs

Oh for a couple of wingbacks like Cadden or gorgeous George to get up and flank the midfield.
In Scotland last week I watched Hibs v Hearts highlights, with Cadden putting over some good crosses. Hard to judge the standard but certainly a lot better than yesterday, but with an even more frenetic atmosphere. Also saw Cristian Montano score the winner for Livingston

Great to see Joseph but we needed a goal so Taylor and Joseph should have been on together.
Also substitutions should have been made earlier, if it’s not working and it wasn’t yesterday make changes sooner. Henry could have gone off at half time now we have five subs

Would have been a strange switch, as Henry was actually good in the first half.

😂😂😂

I think another poster alluded to, but do you think we need an attack minded coach? Just think with Mous & Short you have two defence minded coaches?

Just think the transition from defence to midfield to forward(s)! isn’t working.

Also think this cross field ball isn’t working either and invariably ends us with us losing possession etc. It works better if Brown is playing as he tends to win the header (right to left), but I think we’re better working the ball through the thirds rather than a hopeful lob forward. Yes, do this if you’re under pressure/being shut down with no alternative, but not as a general tactic. And if we have to knock it long can we actually put it behind their defenders so they actually have to turn their back to play e.g. giving us the option to squeeze/shut them in rather than playing it in front of them! (Basics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom