Away Match Day Thread 09/03/2021 L1 Swindon Town v OUFC

Brannagan and Mide injured tho😕

If the two of them can't play at the weekend - and Lee/Henry/Long/Winnall aren't back - then team selection becomes pretty simple for KR!

He has to decide which of Hanson & Forde plays at RB, with the other one playing in midfield.

And then he has to decide to play Agyei (surely) or Taylor or both and drop Sykes (my preference!)

Rest of the team picks itself, and we'll have a very young bench.
Not exactly ideal against the best team in the league, but let's worry about that in a few days!!

ok we won but i was not impressed....Agyei really livened things up,we just knew didnt we ...we were gonna let a late goal in???? ..... gonna have to be a lot better than this is we want to get in the playoffs......still....COYY

I want to see Forde, Hanson, Barker, Agyei starting games. These are the form players at the moment.
How long until Long is fit? Hanson will have to smash it in the coming weeks to be in contention against Sam when he’s fit. He’s a great option to have but I think we definitely miss the attacking qualities of Long. I do think that Hanson, in spells, is showing us why we have been loyal to him.

Would Forde be starting if we had Maguane, Lee and Henry available? Probably not. He has done really well in recent games so I think he deserves a chance. He is valuable based on his passing ability and defensive experience alone. I do think that tonight his set pieces weren’t up to his usual high standard.

Is Barker in form? I am unsure. I think tonight was an example of him getting closer to justifying the expectation and hype that followed him through the door when he signed for us. One negative is, he is nowhere near committed enough when it comes to 50/50’s; on the floor, or in the air. We need our wingers to pick up the defensive slack when the play breaks down; even if it’s just tracking your man into our final third. He doesn’t seem to have that discipline drilled into him yet. I’m sure we can all remember occasions where he has pulled out of a challenge that has lead to a goal or a chance on goal. If he grows some spuds, he’ll be quality.

I love Dan Agyei being (somewhat unfairly) underestimated and constantly playing to prove a point to his manager. If he got paid a bonus for shutting KR up, he’d be a rich man. He has to play centrally. Either as a striker or a false 9 / advanced CAM behind Taylor. He couldn’t defend a cold and we all know that. It’s a shame that when he is on the wing, he is often criticised for being bad at the defensive responsibilities that come with that role. He would score goals at this level if he had the chance to play a run of games. Underdog Dan over Winnall, all day.

Last edited:
Forde looks so comfortable in a variety of positions and his versatility is a Manager’s dream.

A good all round footballer who plays with calm and confidence wherever he plays.

I like him at fullback. His delivery is normally pretty good but tonight it was poor but I am putting
that down to the awful surface at the County Ground.

Moore also had a terrific game and again is very comfortable on the deck and great in the air , ditto Atkinson
too. He is going to be some player.They both bring the ball out really well

Another sensational flying penalty save from Jack who made up for an unenforced error when he came for a
ball that was shelled into our box that RA was going to deal with. Jack unnecessarily came to the edge of his
18 yard box and Anthony Grant nearly lobbed him from 30 yards. He was in no mans land.

Their goal was a bit of a mess at the end. A free-kick from way out ended up in our net and it gave a poor side
some impetus. They deserved nothing and their ’ale house’ football could see them getting relegated.

Not the greatest performance, but who cares? It was all about the result and we got there with real guts. Stevens and Agyei will deservedly get the headlines, but also Brannagan battled for absolutely everything, Atkinson and Moore looked immense, Sykes and Barker took the game to them, and Taylor is looking a goal away from being bang on it.

I know it's an emotional game, but a few comments about players never playing again or not watching if Taylor plays is just pathetic. We have some really tough games coming up with Hull, Doncaster, Blackpool, Lincoln and Sunderland in our next 6 games. We need everyone to play their part, including us. Come through this lot still in contention and we can hit the home straight hard with the playoffs a real possibility.

Get on board the positive bus and save the negative shite for those who've fallen back into the relegation zone where they belong!!!

Back
Top Bottom