Away Match Day Thread +++ 07/08/2021 L1 Cambridge United v OUFC +++

Thought Forde had a good game, showed a lot of energy up and down that right flank. Moore was a little shaky but in all fairness I thought Ironside put himself about really well and looked useful. Thorniley did alright and slotted in seamlessly considering he only signed 6 days ago. Seddon really good and clearly going to be an excellent asset for us. The midfield was another story.

I'm just gonna say it, Winnall simply isn't good enough, he isn't quick enough, he isn't sharp enough, and we should've brought a quality striker in to replace him.

The transfer window is still open…

Thought Forde had a good game, showed a lot of energy up and down that right flank. Moore was a little shaky but in all fairness I thought Ironside put himself about really well and looked useful. Thorniley did alright and slotted in seamlessly considering he only signed 6 days ago. Seddon really good and clearly going to be an excellent asset for us. The midfield was another story.
Impressed with Thorniley. Very much your solid, no-nonsense central defender.

I think Bodin showed moments of class, but I also think he was the wrong sub at the wrong time. Sykes had a decent first half but was having a shocker in the 2nd, it was crying out for Gorrin to help break up play and help us keep the ball and stay composed.

If we really think we can go into every game with a weak midfield 3 of ball players, we'll see plenty of points thrown away.

I thought Karl realised this after Blackpool and said that's what we needed to address, Mcguane adds some physicality but he's still a forward thinking player. Brannagan is completely wasted playing the defensive midfielder and gets overun too easily.

For me, we're crying out for a league one Rodri, Fernandinho, Fabinho, Ndidi style defensive midfielder.

Lot of positives to take from that game.

Seddon was immense, MOTM.

Thorniley solid.

Whyte clearly still has it.

However Henry drifted out of the game and Sykes made mistakes, including the obvious one.

Will take that point it’s better than none ref was inconsistent unfortunately but you come to expect that we move on as this team gels we will hurt quite a few teams I always say if you can’t win don’t lose

I'm just gonna say it, Winnall simply isn't good enough, he isn't quick enough, he isn't sharp enough, and we should've brought a quality striker in to replace him.
He just doesn’t really do very much, seems sluggish and overweight, gives the ball away, does the odd good thing but doesn’t seem to offer much threat.

To me, Dan Agyei is currently the better striker

A lot of people channeling their inner Kip this evening
I think it's probably because with the players at Robbo's disposal today, that lineup, and result shouldn't have happened, and after all the excitement before the game, and anticipation of what the lineup would be, it was all very disappointing and anticlimactic, and needn't have been.

Puzzled by the substitutions. Why Winnall when the game cried out for a strong, holding striker up top? McGuane had little chance to impress as by that time the midfield just wasn't being effective. Stevens started to hoof the ball (far too often into touch) and what had worked so well first half and the start of the second half was negated by losing possession too cheaply.
We had the opportunities to finish the game off, and didn't.
I thought we should have, maybe, had a penalty but can't be 100%.

Unfortunately we gave him two years and nobody else wants him lol

Cambridge looked like Relegation candidates and we couldn't beat them. Two observations: the midfield of Brannagan, Henry and Sykes wasn't good enough to get us out of this league last year so is unlikely to do so this year when the competition have strengthened. And Thornley & Seddon need more practice at going forwards. It was still good to get to an away game though!
To be fair that was the midfield who were excellent in our run in last season, and they’ve played a lot in pre season. But if they aren’t working we’ve plenty of good options to bring in.

Cambridge looked like Relegation candidates and we couldn't beat them. Two observations: the midfield of Brannagan, Henry and Sykes wasn't good enough to get us out of this league last year so is unlikely to do so this year when the competition have strengthened. And Thornley & Seddon need more practice at going forwards. It was still good to get to an away game though!
It’s the first game of the season we will come good we wasn’t bad today

Not quite sure what Dan Agyei has to do.
I agree, it's crazy.

He's looked so dangerous ever since coming back into the side last season, and offers such a goal threat, I simply don't understand why Robbo doesn't use him a lot more.

If I was Robbo, I'd be seriously considering building my whole front 5 around Agyei, he deserves to be given a proper chance with an extended run of games.

Eh? So that’s the only 3 midfielders we’re gonna use all season is it?
And Seddon was our best player, in their half time and again ….and scored!

I agree, it's crazy.

He's looked so dangerous ever since coming back into the side last season, and offers such a goal threat, I simply don't understand why Robbo doesn't use him a lot more.

If I was Robbo, I'd be seriously considering building my whole front 5 around Agyei, he deserves to be given a proper chance with an extended run of games.
Agree
Agyei is streets better than Winnall

Back
Top Bottom