Home Match Day Thread 05/04/2021 L1 OUFC v Accrington Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite mathematics suggesting we can still get there, we’d be stealing a place and there are better, more deserving teams of those auto and playoff positions. We’d all rather be there to celebrate a promotion season so it would be a hollow feeling to make another playoff campaign.

You won't be surprised to know that I completely disagree with this.

Hull, Peterborough and (begrudgingly) Sunderland have been the stand out teams, and 2 of the 3 will go up automatically. But I don't think anyone else has a right to promotion. Lincoln, Doncaster and Portsmouth have been around the top 6 the longest, but Blackpool, Charlton, Ipswich, Gillingham, Accrington have bounced around the upper midtable spots for most of the season. The fact that we are in the same category after such a bad start almost makes us more deserving having come through so much.

The next 5 weeks will determine who deserves to be where when the final whistle goes on 8th May. If we're in the top 6 then we will most definitely deserve to be there, and there will be nothing hollow about it. A last minute winner in the playoff final against a crestfallen Sunderland will feel very sweet indeed!

We need to be aiming for 8 wins, and that means playing the best team, but also the most settled team as much as possible. I think LCP is a fantastic prospect and would have him above Grayson, but if he had made the same mistake would he have been crucified in the same way, and what would that have done for a young lad?

We need to take the Sunderland game on the chin and come out fighting. Talk of the season being over is disrespectful to a group of players with so much more to give.

Nothing but a win will do and I think we'll see what this team is made of today. Oxford 3 Accrington 0

I echo your sentiments too.
I personally believe the last three games could well define our season.
The challenge facing Oxford is even if we win all our remaining games it may well be taken out if our hands.
Certainly we have to do our best but even our best might not be good enough.
Our bad start did not help....let’s win today and see where we are tonight

You won't be surprised to know that I completely disagree with this.

Hull, Peterborough and (begrudgingly) Sunderland have been the stand out teams, and 2 of the 3 will go up automatically. But I don't think anyone else has a right to promotion. Lincoln, Doncaster and Portsmouth have been around the top 6 the longest, but Blackpool, Charlton, Ipswich, Gillingham, Accrington have bounced around the upper midtable spots for most of the season. The fact that we are in the same category after such a bad start almost makes us more deserving having come through so much.

The next 5 weeks will determine who deserves to be where when the final whistle goes on 8th May. If we're in the top 6 then we will most definitely deserve to be there, and there will be nothing hollow about it. A last minute winner in the playoff final against a crestfallen Sunderland will feel very sweet indeed!

We need to be aiming for 8 wins, and that means playing the best team, but also the most settled team as much as possible. I think LCP is a fantastic prospect and would have him above Grayson, but if he had made the same mistake would he have been crucified in the same way, and what would that have done for a young lad?

We need to take the Sunderland game on the chin and come out fighting. Talk of the season being over is disrespectful to a group of players with so much more to give.

Nothing but a win will do and I think we'll see what this team is made of today. Oxford 3 Accrington 0
Often wonder what happens to all the illegal substances you confiscate from the lags, now we know!

However, I can go along with the idea of meeting Sunderland in the play off final and stuffing them. Condemning them to another season of League 1 would go some way to improving my demeanour.

You won't be surprised to know that I completely disagree with this
I think that most people will disagree to be fair.
After 46 games if you are in the play offs you 100% deserve to be there.
All teams have injuries, poor runs, games they should have won.
But the whole point about the league is that you play everybody twice and get what you deserve.

Really tough game today - in the snow! They are only two points behind with a game in hand so better placed than us mathematically. Will probably be a draw

Really tough game today - in the snow! They are only two points behind with a game in hand so better placed than us mathematically. Will probably be a draw
Technically still behind us mathematically as their ppg is below two

Stevens
Hanson Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Brannagan
Henry Forde
Agyei Taylor Barker

SUBS: Shodipo, Winnall, Gorrin, Long, Kelly, Chambers-Parrillon, , Eastwood​

Stevens
Hanson Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Brannagan
Henry Forde
Agyei Taylor Barker

SUBS: Shodipo, Winnall, Gorrin, Long, Kelly, Chambers-Parrillon, , Eastwood​
If Long is fit, he has to start ahead of Hanson. Hanson has done well, but you can't compare the two!

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels (if fit)
Henry Brannagan Forde
Barker Agyei Shodipo

A last minute winner in the playoff final against a crestfallen Sunderland will feel very sweet indeed!
It would, but I dont think it's possible. If Sunderland miss out on the autos, they will finish third. If we get into the playoffs, we will scrape 6th... so we will have to beat them with a last-minute Sykes winner at the Stadium of Light, as we will be playing them in the semis.

No room for dropped points now.
We have to capitalise on their last games mauling. Scoring early would help but I see a draw as an unwanted conclusion to this.

No room for dropped points now.
We have to capitalise on their last games mauling. Scoring early would help but I see a draw as an unwanted conclusion to this.
think they drew on friday? ... shipped 7 in the game previous though

Stevens
Long (if fit) Moore Atkinson Ruffels (if fit)
Lee Henry Brannagan Barker
Agyei Taylor​

or the way KR would play them:

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Henry Brannagan Lee
Agyei Taylor Barker​

Maybe start Forde in place of either Long or Lee.

Subs: Eastwood, Hanson, Gorrin , LCP, Forde, Shodipo, Winnall

No Grayson or Kelly in the squad.

Definitely a must win, and with Accrington's form we should.

It would, but I dont think it's possible. If Sunderland miss out on the autos, they will finish third. If we get into the playoffs, we will scrape 6th... so we will have to beat them with a last-minute Sykes winner at the Stadium of Light, as we will be playing them in the semis.

Ok, I'll accept that!

But can we please make Sykes winner one where he controls it with his hand from an offside position before his shot comes off the crossbar and lands on the line whilst the keeper is distracted by @amershamdave dog! 🐶 💛💙

Realistically, having utterly bottled the chance to make the playoffs, the pressure should be off a bit and start thinking of next season. Two teams with nothing to play for, i cant see it being a thriller!

BLAST FROM THE PAST :

October 20th 2012

U’s striker Tom Craddock nets his fourth goal in United’s 5-0 victory versus Acrrington Stanley.

EK7lXvuXYAAyFcA
That was a good game and if my memory serves me right( getting old 60 this Friday) Beano unselfishly had a chance but laud it ba k for Craddock to either complete his haricot over score his 4th.

I agree with the general sentiment in this thread Grayson and Kelly no where near the bench. Lee to replace Sykes and chaps...... and win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom