Home Match Day Thread 03/10/2023 L1: OUFC v Shrewsbury

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Negru out of the matchday squad altogether. This is some seriously competitive squad depth this season. (Or he’s being quietly punished for that silly Twitch video that did the rounds last week maybe?)

I have to say that is the team I’d probably have gone with too. Bodin has done so well in the last 3 games (and was playing well before that as well) - even with missing some big chances against Exeter and Stevenage. I think he had to stay in. But it’s a big night for him tonight as his position tonight in this system requires some serious work-rate (which is why Goodrham did well there on Saturday)

Will definitely be on Bodin watch tonight. To me he never does enough across the middle and always leaves me wanting to shout at him to try harder. I will try and be supportive of him from the SSU.

Was expecting a return to the back four for this same, but not too surprised to see the back three persist. Good to see Harris back, think him Rod and Bodin can cause havoc tonight, but I a controlled Manning-like style.

It’s said you can judge a team by the strength of their bench, but in our case also by who’s not even in the squad. McGinty, Negru, Smyth, Henry, Edwards, Woltman and Perkins would be playing regularly for most sides in this division.

All I can think is that we expect Shrewsbury to play the same way as Stevenage did, so we’ve kept the formation the same, or maybe we didn’t have enough time to work on going back to our usual formation as there was only three days between matches?

Otherwise, it seems a little strange. But we should have enough to beat them and Manning has made almost every call right so far, so let’s see!

Looks like same formation as Saturday with Bodin joining RR at CAM. Harris comes straight back in. Don’t necessarily mind it, but feels a little conservative at home to Shrews.
I think with a 3-4-3 it depends how high you can keep you wing-backs. If they get boxed in so it looks more like 5 at the back it can look conservative, but if you pin Shrewsbury behind the ball it’s a positive formation to have. I see Stevens and Leigh as wing backs more than full backs really, which does help a lot.

Loads of attacking options on the bench (Goodrham Mills O'Donkor and Murphy)- and just one defender.
5 defenders on the pitch tho and as one (Leigh) can play midfield too we have plenty of options. Can revert to a 4 if needed too I guess (Long and Moore or Moore and Brown centrally) so lots of options....I like the pace options that can come on later, and am glad to see Gats back too....if there is one gripe, that is that Bodin and RR not the quickest and hope they can keep up with Harris!! But with Leigh flying down the wing and hopefully Stevens delivering again then Harris will be there to put any chances away. COYY's!!

Negru out of the matchday squad altogether. This is some seriously competitive squad depth this season. (Or he’s being quietly punished for that silly Twitch video that did the rounds last week maybe?)

I have to say that is the team I’d probably have gone with too. Bodin has done so well in the last 3 games (and was playing well before that as well) - even with missing some big chances against Exeter and Stevenage. I think he had to stay in. But it’s a big night for him tonight as his position tonight in this system requires some serious work-rate (which is why Goodrham did well there on Saturday)

I guess you don't really need two CBs on the bench - how often do you actually want to make a change at that position, let alone two? Better to have another attacking option, in case we need to change it up.

I wondered if we might revert to 4-2-3-1, in order to get some more pace and attacking impetus onto the flanks (through Mills & Murphy) in a game where we're presumably expecting to be doing most of the attacking. But if they have some decent defensive fullbacks, then maybe the double dose of skill and vision that Bodin & Rodrigues offer up is what we're going to need to unlock them.

At this point, we've really got to trust in Manning!

Have Shresbury sacked their manager?
On iFollow, just came up with Neil McDonald as caretaker manager.

Back
Top Bottom