Away Match Day Thread +++ 02/04/2018 Shrewsbury T v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

There beatable. Rochdale proved that. Don't write us off. The key for us is our midfield they need to take control of the game and be fluid going forward and help the defense aswell.

Shrewsbury play a 433/451 so i think we should match there formation to limit the space they are given.

Eastwood
Kane Dickie Mousinho Ricardinho
Ledson
Brannagan Ruffels
Henry Obika Rothwell

Wingers need to help full backs as both full backs constantly mark space instead of the player which makes it easy for overlaps to happen.

Mousinho and Dickie need to stay disciplined and not get caught ball watching.

Would be nice for Ledson to take it easy first 40-45 minutes and sit deep and avoid any dangerous tackles because his 2 early yellows in past 2 games have effected our midfield and allowed Portsmouth and Scunthorpe to dictate certain areas of the midfield because of it.

Brannagan has to play further forward because we're not getting enough creativity from the centre and him sitting deep really limits him to use some of his best assets (Dribbling,Passing and Shooting)

One last thing Henry off corners and Brannagan on them,Henry is our only real threat from.outside the box so should be lurking for any punched corners away and his corners are always to close to keeper. I'd put Brannagan on them seems to be great at picking out a pass.

1-1
Rothwell

Up at the crack...... On the road with OUFC.... I think we can win this one..... Get in your cars... Get on the train.... 8 games left.... We can do this....It’s an absolute pants drive from here .... But COYY

Choked with cold so decided to give it a miss and resorting to Radox. Anyone want an adult ticket PM me. Let’s hope we continue on the trajectory of the second half on Friday... COYY!

There beatable. Rochdale proved that. Don't write us off. The key for us is our midfield they need to take control of the game and be fluid going forward and help the defense aswell.

Shrewsbury play a 433/451 so i think we should match there formation to limit the space they are given.

Eastwood
Kane Dickie Mousinho Ricardinho
Ledson
Brannagan Ruffels
Henry Obika Rothwell

Wingers need to help full backs as both full backs constantly mark space instead of the player which makes it easy for overlaps to happen.

Mousinho and Dickie need to stay disciplined and not get caught ball watching.

Would be nice for Ledson to take it easy first 40-45 minutes and sit deep and avoid any dangerous tackles because his 2 early yellows in past 2 games have effected our midfield and allowed Portsmouth and Scunthorpe to dictate certain areas of the midfield because of it.

Brannagan has to play further forward because we're not getting enough creativity from the centre and him sitting deep really limits him to use some of his best assets (Dribbling,Passing and Shooting)

One last thing Henry off corners and Brannagan on them,Henry is our only real threat from.outside the box so should be lurking for any punched corners away and his corners are always to close to keeper. I'd put Brannagan on them seems to be great at picking out a pass.

1-1
Rothwell

I would love to see that starting line up, but I bet ASB will start-why I do not know.

Midfield has to control the game. If not, Shrews will walk the game.

Am reliably informed by a mate who manages the training ground that the Shrews squad have been doing mucho extra practice on corners and free kicks where the ball can be launched into the box.

Think one of our strikers will get one tomorrow and we’ll sneak another draw.

4 from Lincoln leaving at 9.45am......
The enthusiasm has drained from the team and our supporters however the one thing that keeps us going is we know we have a surprise win in us, away games at Wigan, Doncaster, Blackburn and Shrewsbury to come, one of these will be an away win, let’s hope it’s in Shropshire, as soon as we reach the 50 / 51 point mark we can relax a bit, express ourselves and look to next season in league 1........

Am reliably informed by a mate who manages the training ground that the Shrews squad have been doing mucho extra practice on corners and free kicks where the ball can be launched into the box.
Wouldn't surprise me. We're actually decent at defending open play (it's not perfect but we're capable at it against any team and can stop any attack) our downfall is set pieces nobody knows what they are doing and expects someone else to do there job.

One thing i want to see tomorrow is logical marking in the box. CB's pick up CB's. If they start Morris then Obika/Thomas on him. I don't want to see any of this pick up closest man to your position that we usually have going on with ASB marking there biggest threat in the box.

Oh and please leave 1/2 men forward for the clearance otherwise we get pinned in. If Napa and IBR start then they don't need to be in the box leave them up top for fast counters.

I would love to see that starting line up, but I bet ASB will start-why I do not know.
Oh he will and he'll wonder off into the CB position again like saturday leaving them the free cross into the box. He'll also stand 5 yards off his man defending the space in front instead of stopping the cross. If Shrewsbury scouts were paying attention then they will know Full backs our the weak point.
One of them (Smith Brown) sits too narrow half the time leaving a gap on the wing and giving wingers time on the ball whilst carrying little threat going forward and the other (Kane) gets to far forward at times and is often caught too far forward but does threaten on the attack, meaning one lofted pass down his channel and he's in a foot race with a winger and a full back whilst also being often caught not sticking to the winger and not picking up players from throw ins.

We can't show them any respect tomorrow just because they are fighting for autos.

Make sure they are pressed and this is where Ruffels comes into the line up, playing him CM allows him and Ledson to interchange and both of them have good stamina play both off them and have them switch between CM and DM the one playing CM press Shrewsbury players on the ball and close down.

On Friday we showed Scunthorpe too much respect first half and sat off them, can't let Shrewsbury have that much time.

We need to try to frustrate Shrewsbury hit them on the break and be nasty like we were second half Friday it got us a point

Oh he will and he'll wonder off into the CB position again like saturday leaving them the free cross into the box. He'll also stand 5 yards off his man defending the space in front instead of stopping the cross. If Shrewsbury scouts were paying attention then they will know Full backs our the weak point.
One of them (Smith Brown) sits too narrow half the time leaving a gap on the wing and giving wingers time on the ball whilst carrying little threat going forward and the other (Kane) gets to far forward at times and is often caught too far forward but does threaten on the attack, meaning one lofted pass down his channel and he's in a foot race with a winger and a full back whilst also being often caught not sticking to the winger and not picking up players from throw ins.

We can't show them any respect tomorrow just because they are fighting for autos.

Make sure they are pressed and this is where Ruffels comes into the line up, playing him CM allows him and Ledson to interchange and both of them have good stamina play both off them and have them switch between CM and DM the one playing CM press Shrewsbury players on the ball and close down.

On Friday we showed Scunthorpe too much respect first half and sat off them, can't let Shrewsbury have that much time.

We need to try to frustrate Shrewsbury hit them on the break and be nasty like we were second half Friday it got us a point

If we were operating as a better unit, and I’m sure KR will start to work on this, then Brannigan or Ledson would tuck into the right-back position when Kane supports the attack.

Lunny used to do it frequently when Baldock surged forwards - we need to start building this type of off-the-ball movement and intelligence.

U’s line up v Shrews 26-08-2017:

Eastwood; Ribeiro, Nelson, Williamson, Ricardinho; Ruffels, Ledson; Henry, Payne, Hall; van Kessel

Subs: Obika & Rothwell for Henry & Hall.

Back
Top Bottom