Away Match Day Thread +++ 17/4/2018 Wigan v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

Yeah, shame we dropped Ricardinho for a numbers of games and played him out of position in favour of Smith-Brown, but I guess Faz got it right in the end!
Add to that list a manager who actually seems to know what he’s doing. I was really worried when I saw the team announced but I loved the fact that Robinson sounded really pissed off after the game that they hadn’t got something from the game. He had a game plan that, if we hadn’t been a little naive at the end, would have worked. He also had a bit of a pop at the clubs lack of professionalism in not having an overnight stay, they had to drive up to Wigan on the day of the match, but said he’ll change all that. It didn’t sound like a huge issue but a bit unfortunate

...we didn’t. No good having a good game when we come away with zilch. Sorry but that’s the harsh reality.
Disagree.
We played the team that will win the league away from home.
The bookies i believe had us as over 10/1.
It was a gutsy and committed performance where we could have got a draw.
KR has transformed us defensively. We look organised and difficult to beat.
They could bring Grigg and Cole on.
If we play how we have in the past three games and get a break we will get more than the two points we may need.

Yeah, shame we dropped Ricardinho for a numbers of games and played him out of position in favour of Smith-Brown, but I guess Faz got it right in the end!
I really dont know what Faz did there. Strange decision.
Bringing in the two Man City players was a poor decision as well.

Disagree.
We played the team that will win the league away from home.
The bookies i believe had us as over 10/1.
It was a gutsy and committed performance where we could have got a draw.
KR has transformed us defensively. We look organised and difficult to beat.
They could bring Grigg and Cole on.
If we play how we have in the past three games and get a break we will get more than the two points we may need.

Pretty much this. Wigan are a championship quality side. They knocked out a Man City team who have dominated the top flight this season in the cup. They will challenge in the championship next season.

To go up there, almost get a draw after the absolutely annihilation that was the game at ours, is pretty impressive.

I dread to think what the score would have been under Pep.

OUFC under Robinson is going to be very interesting going forward

Big positives from last night:

Carroll and Nelson - like two new signings for the last three games to boost the squad.

Ricardinho!
I reckon that Carroll will have given KR something to think about.
He lost a little confidence and fire under Pep.
That was back last night. So another player who would give his all and cause the other team problems.
MAPP always suggested that CC would end up as a defensive midfield player. He looked last night against the best team in the league that this could happen.
Good problem for KR to have next season.

At a superficial level, we've not got any further forward under KR. On the pitch, the team looks motivated, streetwise and coached. There is a lot of work to do, but there should be no sense of hopelessness from fans. We have to play the whole 90+ minutes, but listening to the game, it was clear we royally peed off Wigan, which means we nearly did what we went for. When was the last time we were a team like that?

Perversely, as we lost, I enjoyed the game. We certainly lost concentration, which cost us late on, and Wigan held a lot more threat up front, but we showed great spirit against the top side, and KR must take the praise for that.

GVK was a waste of space last night, but Carroll’s performance was gutsy and determined. Good to see.

Feeling much happier about our chances of survival this morning.

Now down to Karl to prove why leaving your top 3 scorers at home when all we needed was someone like Henry or Thomas was worth it. IF we don't get anything out of Saturday then we have squandered and we've missed an opportunity.

Karl now has to prove that he made the right call.

Now down to Karl to prove why leaving your top 3 scorers at home when all we needed was someone like Henry or Thomas was worth it. IF we don't get anything out of Saturday then we have squandered and we've missed an opportunity.

Karl now has to prove that he made the right call.

Please tell me you're on a whoosh? You honestly believe having Obika and Thomas there tonight would have made a difference?

Please tell me you're on a whoosh? You honestly believe having Obika and Thomas there tonight would have made a difference?

On current form only Henry was a miss. He was 50/50 on Saturday...as for Obika and Thomas...both only have 30mins in them and could break at any point.

If Obika plays as he did vs Scunthorpe then he is an asset. If Thomas can stop throwing a wobbly at team mates then he could be of use. Neither, however, can be relied on to score an majority of the teams goals.

They make more of a difference then GVK. Thomas i think definitely would've compared to GVK just because his movement in the box.

They make more of a difference then GVK. Thomas i think definitely would've compared to GVK just because his movement in the box.

One manager played a side that with changes should have been good enough to be a side struggling near the basement, the other made changes to make his team very hard to beat....
Let's not lose track that they never played their best 11, they were able to call on 2 quality strikers and even with Obika and Thomas neither can be described as quality or strikers.

Whatever happens saturday or indeed in the other 2 you cannot possibly say that last nights team selection was a mistake.

One manager played a side that with changes should have been good enough to be a side struggling near the basement, the other made changes to make his team very hard to beat....
Let's not lose track that they never played their best 11, they were able to call on 2 quality strikers and even with Obika and Thomas neither can be described as quality or strikers.

Whatever happens saturday or indeed in the other 2 you cannot possibly say that last nights team selection was a mistake.

According to Wigan's twitter last night was Cole's home debut for them. He signed in January! One of the most sought after young strikers in League 1 and he's barely played. No surprise that a team with the financial firepower to buy up the league is doing so well. Puts into perspective how well we did.

Their goalie should also have been sent off for aiming a kick at CC.
Can't believe he missed that, he was looking right at it.

WTF!! Watching it in real time I was in disbelief, but seeing it again!! Trevor Kettle was awful for both teams last night as he has been in every game I’ve seen him in, why do these refs keep getting rewarded with more games??
Kettle's continued presence does a disservice to those good Refs out there. He's really got worse in the past few seasons and cannot be trusted to get anything right. I do wonder what training the Refs get through the season.

Back
Top Bottom