Away Match Day Thread 02/01/2021 L1 Burton Albion v OUFC

Playing really well and putting some results together now.

So time for them to shut the season down and decide things on a points per game basis :censored:

The 5 subs is starting to be a huge help because we can maintain the high press game for much longer periods because once tired you can be replaced. The poor sides in this league just cannot cope. Acid test will come when we play some of the better teams again. But we look a very accomplished team again.

(Apart from our marvellous 2000/2001 defensive offering. )

On a downer I am sorry though, Robbie Hall is finished at this level.

You shouldn't be apologizing for being correct about Hall.

You should, however, be apologizing for reminding us all of McGherkin, Robertson, Hatswell, Jarman, Richardson et al.

At any time really, but particularly when we're all celebrating a thumping victory!

Very impressed by that performance. I would like to pour bucket loads of praise on the team tonight. It might be true that Burton are going through a tough time but we ourselves have been a shambles until recently. I don't want to detract from OUFC in any way.

First and foremost - we've completely changed as a team. We are playing proper football now with a mix of high speed, high quality direct play, short passes when needed, and a far more aggressive press in our retrieval of the ball. We are now unpredictable, savvy, and extremely difficult to play against. long may it continue.

Where do I start in my praise of the players? We looked mentally shot only a few weeks ago. Today, f*****g nails. I will mention who I consider as key performers tonight (although I would like to make clear that I thought no one had a bad night).
Stevens dominating his area seems to have settled the defence down. Now our centre backs can concentrate on kicking and heading the ball away from danger, with the odd marauding run from RA of course.

Our full backs - superb. I have been critical of Long and Ruffels (with some justification imo), but today, between them they were the two players who impacted the game the most. I don't know whether they have seen a new car or two pull up at the training ground but by christ how the hell can you take a starting place off of these two right now? Long has made some dramatic improvements physically, and is overlapping for fun at the moment. His delivery looks decent too. This was an area that Cadden needed to improve on. Josh Ruffels looks wide awake in his play, assisted Taylor, and put himself in the kind of positions that winners put themselves in. Was delighted for his two goals - great tekkers for his first. Big respect from me!

McGuane - goodness me, he is turning in to a beast. I hope he can keep this going because with the right motivation and players around him he can be virtually unplayable. Has that bit of stardust to take a player out of the equation and provide the team with regular overload situations. I agree with KR - McGuane can decide what he wants to do in football. I hope he cracks on in 2021 and really makes his mark.
Lastly Shodipo is a fancy Dan and that irritates me...unless you have end product like he did today. Today, Shodipo showed some great qualities. I hope he carves out a good career by being consistent in the way he impacts games of football. After his latest performance Im hopeful he can do that.

We have finally managed to play a solid back 5, that makes the game so much easier. In addition Sam Long has developed an attacking threat but that is so much easier when you have the discipline of Gorrin and Henry around you and confident players ahead of you
And confidence in the players behind you, I'd say.

We've been flattered by playing teams that were very poorly set up recently but signs are good. You can only beat what's up against you and we've done so handsomely.

I guess we'll see how far we've really progressed against Fleetwood at the end of the month.

I thought Obita played intelligently when he came on and Brannagan showed a bit of quality.

Onwards and upwards.

The only sad part about all of this is, we can't be there. It's away days like these that make all the travelling and standing around in the cold worthwhile. Watching iFollow is just nothing in comparison.
Although I would say the tea and cake went down well at half time and the toilets here are spotless, have hot water and real towels! Access to the bar immediately after full time is no bad thing either!

You should, however, be apologizing for reminding us all of McGherkin, Robertson, Hatswell, Jarman, Richardson et al.

At any time really, but particularly when we're all celebrating a thumping victory!

Didn't Robbie Hall come on for a cameo against Northampton and win the ball that set up the fourth goal? I still think, coming on late in the game perhaps, he has something to add.

Sorry, I may have had a few too many celebratory drinks - but Hall coming on at the end of a game has got to worry a tiring defense IMHO.

Superb performance, well done Robbo and the lads!!

Good to see Ruffs is back on form, but a special mention for Sam Long, simply immense, man of the match, and player of the season by a country mile so far!

Message to all teams in the top 6, the yellow submarine is purring along nicely now, so watch your backs!

COYY

Didn't Robbie Hall come on for a cameo against Northampton and win the ball that set up the fourth goal? I still think, coming on late in the game perhaps, he has something to add.

Sorry, I may have had a few too many celebratory drinks - but Hall coming on at the end of a game has got to worry a tiring defense IMHO.
With the limits now on the number of players we can have, I don't think being an impact sub is a good enough reason to keep someone in your squad anymore, you need players that, should their be injuries, they can play a few games and not be a liability, Hall is IMO

I am hoping it won’t be to “long” until we get to see super Sam plus the other new guys who are on loan, I don’t want to get to the end of the season and not see them play.

Well done Oxford. So many positives to take from today.
But most of all really really chuffed to see Branigan back on the pitch.
Onwards and upwards. Happy 2021 to all.

And my CBT had been going so well[emoji31]

Back
Top Bottom