Home Match Day Thread 2/2/2021 Papa John's Trophy OUFC v AFC Wimbledon

Don't think we'll see many if any youngsters. KR talked about how there are now 3 separate bubbles of youth,U23s and first team.
And used Nico Jones as an example of someone this has affected as he hasn't been out on loan but also hasn't been able to train with the first team squad. He did say he'd come back into it soon - perhaps in mind for this game?

There should be a real buzz around the club with 8 wins on the bounce and a decent transfer window. Robinson has openly backed Sykes and hopefully given other squad members hope that there is a way back if they put the hard yards in.

AFC Wimbledon will be no walk over, and will likely take this game seriously so we'll have to be up for this. But having an angry Agyei ready to prove a point, Sykes on form, Winnall getting an hour or more, and maybe Hall with a little magic and we should have plenty to get through.

2 nil Oxford, Winnall and Agyei and Eastwood saving a penalty!!!

I think we have probably got more chance of winning the national lottery than predicting the starting XI for the AFC Wimbledon match however here goes....
Eastwood
Long - Moore - Jones - Forde
Gorrin
Sykes - Kelly - Hall - Shadipo
Winnall

I think we have probably got more chance of winning the national lottery than predicting the starting XI for the AFC Wimbledon match however here goes....
Eastwood
Long - Moore - Jones - Forde
Gorrin
Sykes - Kelly - Hall - Shadipo
Winnall
Don't you think he will blood some of the newcomers to see how they fit in to our style of play?

The Dons interim manager Mark Robinson mentions in his pre-match interview that loanees George Dobson from
Sunderland and Darnell Johnson from Leicester are both cup tied and Alex Woodward and Ben Heneghan miss the match
through injury.

Glad to be back to the Match Threads after the window closure. Looking for a decent result and performance here. 3-0 Oxford. COYY

I've watched most of the pizza games so far but I'm particularly looking forward to this one if KR is able to deploy any of the new signings so they can get some game time in before Donny which is shaping up to be a monumental clash. I'm wondering whether Donny might be postponed given the weather up north. If so, it would be the first postponement this season that probably works in our favour.

The form table screams home win.
But it’s a cup game and I don’t like the talk about breaking club records, which may bring complacency tonight.
That said, with the buoyancy of deadline day, whether any signings play or not, we have current players with the opportunity to stake a claim tonight.
We’ll win, comfortably in the end.

I know this is very unlikely to be the starting 11 tonight. However, I think it would be a really good opportunity to give some of the new signings some much needed game time before Saturday:

Eastwood
Long McNally Atkinson Grayson
Gorrin Kelly
Henry Lee Barker
Winnall

3-0 win. Winnall to get on the scoresheet!

I know this is very unlikely to be the starting 11 tonight but I think it would be a really good time to give some of the new signings some much needed minutes before Saturday:

Eastwood
Gorrin Kelly
Henry Lee Barker
Winnall

Put in Sykes in place of Henry and Forde in place of Gorrin (could do without him getting injured).

I know this is very unlikely to be the starting 11 tonight. However, I think it would be a really good opportunity to give some of the new signings some much needed game time before Saturday:

Eastwood
Gorrin Kelly
Henry Lee Barker
Winnall

Barker and Lee definitely not able to as they have to be signed by noon the day before kick off I believe. Grayson I would imagine may have made the deadline.

Barker and Lee definitely not able to as they have to be signed by noon the day before kick off I believe. Grayson I would imagine may have made the deadline.
Do we know for definite that Lee and Barker didn’t sign before 12? They weren’t announced before midday but that doesn’t mean all of the admin wasn’t done. If not, no worries. I’m sure we will see them on Saturday.

Given McNally and most of the new signings can’t play, and I don’t want to risk injury to our best/key players:

Eastwood
Forde Hanson Moore Grayson
Kelly
Henry Sykes
Hall Winnall Agyei​

It would never happen, but I think a change of formation could suit the players we want to play tonight as well:

Eastwood
Forde CB CB Grayson
Hanson
Kelly Sykes
Hall
Agyei Winnall​

Or even:

Eastwood
Forde Hanson Moore Grayson
Hall Sykes Kelly Shodipo
Agyei Winnall​

Let's hope the defence gives Stevens rather better protection than in the last game against this lot.

Can't really make a prediction without seeing what sort of team we (and the Wombles) put out!

Back
Top Bottom