General Very Tinpot Wycombe

They did an excellent job on MK tonight. Mustered the early 20min storm and then successfully stopped MK from playing with an excellent pressing game. Took their chances from their strengths, a set piece and a good piece of place off a direct ball.

I hate the general directness but the effectiveness and consistency of it's success is almost admirable. No-one seems really able to prevent it. They all work incredibly hard as well, their midfield covered some ground tonight.

They did an excellent job on MK tonight. Mustered the early 20min storm and then successfully stopped MK from playing with an excellent pressing game. Took their chances from their strengths, a set piece and a good piece of place off a direct ball.

I hate the general directness but the effectiveness and consistency of it's success is almost admirable. No-one seems really able to prevent it. They all work incredibly hard as well, their midfield covered some ground tonight.
When you say no-one can prevent it - it obviously can be dealt with - they lost 9 games this season and failed to win another 14.
So, to that end, I thought I'd check who they appeared to struggle against to try and gauge if there is an approach that works against their style.

- They failed to beat 7 teams over 2 games across the season - Ipswich, MK Dons, Sunderland, Pompey, Rotherham, Wigan, Wimbledon.
- So, a mix of playing styles perhaps, but with the exception of Wimbledon all clearly top half sides and 4 of the 7 are sides that finished above them (they only won 1 of the 10 games against the top 5 - Sheffield Wednesday at home a couple of weeks ago).
- Interestingly, the 2 sides that did the double over them were Ipswich and MK - the 2 sides with the highest possession based game by far - which suggests that this is the way to play against them (although last night may suggest otherwise). Even Wimbledon are far more of a possession based side than their League position might suggest.
- Perhaps one thing that Ipswich and MK have in common vs us is that they both have strong defences (4th and 3rd fewest goals conceded respectively) and solid GKs (Walton at Ipswich had great stats for the season, the 2x MK Keepers pretty average but still solid).

It appears to be that the best way to combat what Wycombe do so effectively is to actually play football and keep possession (as we do) - BUT you must also be able to deal with the few chances that they do create and keep alert to the danger. Perhaps we did this better in September than we did in January.

We might not like his style but Ainsworth is a brilliantly effective manager.
True but equally easy to see why no one has taken him from there. No way fans of any club at a higher level would be happy watching that style of play.

Something I sensed in the play off final a couple of years ago... Call it what you like - steeliness, robustness, stubbornness, doggedness - they do seem to have a big game mentality. A determination not to be turned over when the stakes are high. Something we are not so good at imo

Never thought I'd see the day when Wycombe would be a stronger, more organized and better outfit than us. I'd rather they got promoted or relegated so I don't have to think about them.

I have to say (through gritted teeth) that they played very well last night. Although MK were abysmal after the sending off.

When you say no-one can prevent it - it obviously can be dealt with - they lost 9 games this season and failed to win another 14.
So, to that end, I thought I'd check who they appeared to struggle against to try and gauge if there is an approach that works against their style.

- They failed to beat 7 teams over 2 games across the season - Ipswich, MK Dons, Sunderland, Pompey, Rotherham, Wigan, Wimbledon.
- So, a mix of playing styles perhaps, but with the exception of Wimbledon all clearly top half sides and 4 of the 7 are sides that finished above them (they only won 1 of the 10 games against the top 5 - Sheffield Wednesday at home a couple of weeks ago).
- Interestingly, the 2 sides that did the double over them were Ipswich and MK - the 2 sides with the highest possession based game by far - which suggests that this is the way to play against them (although last night may suggest otherwise). Even Wimbledon are far more of a possession based side than their League position might suggest.
- Perhaps one thing that Ipswich and MK have in common vs us is that they both have strong defences (4th and 3rd fewest goals conceded respectively) and solid GKs (Walton at Ipswich had great stats for the season, the 2x MK Keepers pretty average but still solid).

It appears to be that the best way to combat what Wycombe do so effectively is to actually play football and keep possession (as we do) - BUT you must also be able to deal with the few chances that they do create and keep alert to the danger. Perhaps we did this better in September than we did in January.
Probably helped Sept with McNally and Gorrin playing ....and Forde at right back had a solid game including one excellent brave clearance with his head

Wigan and Rotherham played a very similar way, all be it with better players and a little extra quality. It's certainly the most effective way of getting up from League One, but doesn't hold you in much stead in the Championship. The footballing sides who have been promoted recently like Luton and Coventry have fared better.

I have a few Wycombe supporting friends who I'd be happy for. I'd still rather prefer Wednesday go up as they will be more of a threat next season. Wycombe if they do go up again will obviously come straight back down. You just can't sustain yourself in the Championship playing that kind of football, you have to be able to play. Giving up 60% possession against most of the teams is usually going to result in defeat because the attackers have the quality to make it count more often than not. If you look at the teams that have gone up and stayed up comfortably (Blackpool, Luton and Coventry spring to mind) they've been able to play and mix it. Whereas Rotherham always come straight back down.

Having said that, I'm not sure Wycombe really care about that. Just becoming a 'yo-yo' club like Rotherham is an achievement in itself for a club of their size, and I honestly don't mean to sound patronising when I say that either - you have to give them credit really.

It's going to be a long night for the MK fans I think.

They played well very strong through midfield. I know we don't Ike him but he really gets the best out of his players almost opposite to our midfield we play one way and just don't mix it up. And until we can do that we are not going up .How nice to have a striker like Vokes we all Love Taylor but I think Taylor would like to have player like that around him instead of a one man band. We have alot of work to do this summer I hope Karl is the man

What did ww do so wrong last night?.... Style of play?.... What's wrong with it? , I was entertained

why did we let Obita go? no agenda I just don't remember. He looked ok last night I thought.

why did we let Obita go? no agenda I just don't remember. He looked ok last night I thought.
We got him free and they offered a decent fee soon after. Good business and he didn't look anything special for us but we could have done with his experience since then.

We got him free and they offered a decent fee soon after. Good business and he didn't look anything special for us but we could have done with his experience since then.
They also offered Obita a far higher salary. They have also got him fully fit.

Back
Top Bottom