Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if a player wants to dump us at the first opportunity, after one season, to earn more money, that's fine, but if we want to stop a player leaving, after just one season, and keep hold of him for another season, so we can make more money, we're selfish?? :unsure:

It works both ways, why should we be the soft touch, that gets the shitty end of the stick every time, we should sell him, and help him progress his career, certainly, but only when it works for us also.
That's an oversimplification of what I said. If the championship clubs were offering barely any extra wage and a s**t fee, or if the offers were from league one clubs, then no it wouldn't be selfish to tell Atkinson to stay. The fact is the championship clubs can offer significantly higher wage than we can, and if we stand in the way of someone with the opportunity to get that wage and that higher league opportunity then it puts the message out to future acquisitions that we don't have their best interests at heart and they'll go elsewhere. It's not being a soft touch, it's what convinces players of the quality we've seen the last few years to pick us. McGuane for example may have told us to sod off if he'd seen us keep an unhappy Dickie in the camp last season.

I know it sucks thinking about "what if", but the fact is we wouldn't be able to think about "what if" if we didn't follow this model.

If we sold Atkinson but brought in Jason Kerr at centre back, Joe Tomlinson at left back, extended Elliott Moores contract and put a few quid in the back, would people still be questioning our ambition or think that we'd start the season weaker?

* don't quote me on this but certainly players we're looking at!
Are Kerr or Tomlinson of higher quality than Atkinson?

If we sold Atkinson but brought in Jason Kerr at centre back, Joe Tomlinson at left back, extended Elliott Moores contract and put a few quid in the back, would people still be questioning our ambition or think that we'd start the season weaker?

If my ... etc etc.

I met Ricky Tomlinson in the petrol station by Weston-on-the-Green once. He was bladdered. Nice bloke.

Would be happy to have him at left back.

• React
Reactions: m
and that old chestnut rears it's head, many fans have endured reduced income or in some cases received next to nothing

I thought it's our model someone goes each summer or maybe i invented that bit

what about money from cup runs + extra for tv games not forgetting Ifollow sales none of which are in your budget .

you cannot play the poverty angle whilst claiming you see yourself being a top 30 club, the 2 don't go together
"and that old chestnut rears it's head, many fans have endured reduced income or in some cases received next to nothing"

What has that got to do with Atkinson being sold?

"I thought it's our model someone goes each summer or maybe i invented that bit"

Yes you are correct so not really sure what the next two paragraphs are about.

"what about money from cup runs + extra for tv games not forgetting Ifollow sales none of which are in your budget ."

We didn't have any big cup runs last season and don't think the tv revenue and I follow sales makes up for no crowds all season. I'm sure you don't really believe it either.

" you cannot play the poverty angle whilst claiming you see yourself being a top 30 club, the 2 don't go together"

We are not a top 30 club. Whether we can be one day, who knows. Basic sound financial management is not playing the poverty card, whatever that is.

"and that old chestnut rears it's head, many fans have endured reduced income or in some cases received next to nothing"

"I thought it's our model someone goes each summer or maybe i invented that bit"

"what about money from cup runs + extra for tv games not forgetting Ifollow sales none of which are in your budget ."

We didn't have any big cup runs last season and don't think the tv revenue and I follow sales makes up for no crowds all season. I'm sure you don't really believe it either.

" you cannot play the poverty angle whilst claiming you see yourself being a top 30 club, the 2 don't go together"

We are not a top 30 club. Whether we can be one day, who knows. Basic sound financial management is not playing the poverty card, whatever that is.

I don't think the club are claiming poverty anyway considering they've invested money this summer in developing the training ground.

not if you keep them when they want to move on, and that could have a longer-term effect in terms of propsects we could attract.
Are you seriously suggesting that these players would not progress with other clubs?

so their sole reason in coming here is so they can go when they want and they're not prospects in terms of playing higher up with us they're prospects with £££££ on their head.

so we're not looking to build a squad to progress with the odd tinker we're effectively a meat market with hopes of a chain of stores.

not if you keep them when they want to move on, and that could have a longer-term effect in terms of propsects we could attract.
but if we dont progress beyond league 1 it doesnt really matter if you have sellable players or not other than funding the next seasons losses.

my point was don't use the pandemic as a reason when you i and everyone else knows he or a n other would be sold regardless

Kerr is very highly regarded, and I would say that he is a more solid defender if not able to stroll forward like Atkinson did. Tomlinson is equally very highly regarded.

With no deals done either way everything is an If.....
Why is it then that BCFC are not pursuing Kerr?

Last edited by a moderator:
my point was don't use the pandemic as a reason when you i and everyone else knows he or a n other would be sold regardless
To be fair you made more than one point. I would support this type of sale regardless of the pandemic. However, given the well documented impact of the pandemic on various clubs finances it just makes it even more ridiculous that anyone is up in arms about the sale of Atkinson.

Add signing Jamie Robson from Dundee to that and I’d be happy. We can’t go into next season with only 1 recognised RB and LB. Tomlinson would provide good competition at LB and he’s covered at RB for Eastleigh too.

Kerr is very highly regarded, and I would say that he is a more solid defender if not able to stroll forward like Atkinson did. Tomlinson is equally very highly regarded.

With no deals done either way everything is an If.....
So is Rob Atkinson and he's already here

why buy 1 or both of the others when with your thought process they might get injured next season

Why is it then that BCFC are not pursuing Kerr?

The ability to play the ball out of defence is hugely attractive, more so the further up the leagues you go. That puts a premium on players like Atkinson, but he can still be defensively naive and that is why there will still be a limit on what teams will spend as he remains a work in progress.

Jason Kerr has attracted interest from Bournemouth as mentioned and was in the team of the season in Scotland. But he may not have quite the same ceiling as RA and is in the last year of his contract which is why his fee would be much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom