Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can’t spend 95% of the season playing shite football, and expect to be classed as one of our best players. I’m not writing James off, but if he comes back from pre-season and plays like he did for large parts of last season, there will be no excuses left.
95% is nonsense

Proof? Really?
He was playing as a right back when we signed him.
Oxford were better than Burton when he played at Burton. Our midfield was better.
Come on... look at the number of games he has played in either positions, he is a CM who has played some games at RB, not the other way around.
My point is that the conversion had already started so we didn't sign him as a midfielder as was clear in the interviews when we signed him.

He is partially to blame if he wasn't putting sufficient effort to develop/correct his recurring errors (we don't know if he was or wasn't) and I use Josh Ruffels as a counter to this who was also a converted central midfielder as he clearly worked at his new position. I'm not sure blame or fault is the right word for anybody in the process of converting a player's position anyway as it would involve ups and downs. And whilst a player may have all the attributes, sometimes it just doesn't click.
I think we're in agreement, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but we can't assume it's an attitude problem with him, and I don't think we should ignore his potential as a good CM for us just because we signed him as a RB

And you do know all about his performances? Just as I celebrate them, you discount them?

Also, point to where I discounted our current midfield?

Brannagan wasn't as effective as previous seasons... think most would largely agree with this
Sykes isn't likely to be here, I make no mention of his performances
Henry wasn't on form for at least 2/3 of the season
Gorrin, I made no mention of his performances
McGuane, I made no mention of his performances

My argument is relatively simple, he has proved he can play in CM at this level, how can you try and object to this?

Gorrin, McGuane, Brannagan are better CM players than him. Henry and Sykes are very different but were equally effective in a better performing side.

Why discount this? Especially as I would bet that you never actually saw Clare play whilst at Burton.

Come on... look at the number of games he has played in either positions, he is a CM who has played some games at RB, not the other way around.

I think we're in agreement, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but we can't assume it's an attitude problem with him, and I don't think we should ignore his potential as a good CM for us just because we signed him as a RB

I don't think KR is ignoring his potential as a CM, rather the opposite with his comments. I don't think it is a stick to beat KR with either.

As said I don't know either way about attitude and it is only speculation based on the article. But something has inspired a response from KR so I wouldn't be surprised if Clare's agent has been gabbing behind the scenes.

We have too many lightweight, intricate footballers who have the ability to create and score superb goals, but at the same time can be completely dominated physically.

McGuane, Brannigan, Henry, Gorrin and Sykes do not posses the collective attributes of a promotion winning midfield. I think they are currently good league 1 players, with Mcguane and Bran capable of playing in the second tier with a little push. Henry may look pretty decent with the right balance around him too. With the wrong balance, he can look lost.
So, when we recruit this summer, we need to not be negligent and be fully mindful of what we are lacking. This doesn't mean that we will change the way we play our football of course, but even the most successful and technical sides can call on a bit of steel when required. We don't have anywhere near enough of it.

Massive summer for OUFC and KR. Im pretty sure we will see some quite different attributes on display come August.

We have too many lightweight, intricate footballers who have the ability to create and score superb goals, but at the same time can be completely dominated physically.

McGuane, Brannigan, Henry, Gorrin and Sykes do not posses the collective attributes of a promotion winning midfield. I think they are currently good league 1 players, with Mcguane and Bran capable of playing in the second tier with a little push. Henry may look pretty decent with the right balance around him too. With the wrong balance, he can look lost.
So, when we recruit this summer, we need to not be negligent and be fully mindful of what we are lacking. This doesn't mean that we will change the way we play our football of course, but even the most successful and technical sides can call on a bit of steel when required. We don't have anywhere near enough of it.

Massive summer for OUFC and KR. Im pretty sure we will see some quite different attributes on display come August.
Bang on

Think McGuane, Gorrin and Brannagan is an excellent midfield three for this level

If I've got the technology right, the attached spreadsheet shows the squad for 2015 going forward. It shows who our big players have been each season, and how big an overhaul has taken place each summer. It would suggest that we start from a stronger position than in many years. However, we have more players whom other clubs might want to buy, which changes the game, and in particular the proportion of our strongest 11 from My who will still be at the club in August / September.

Attachments

• OUFC players 2015-21.pdf
    57.7 KB · Views: 17
So, getting on towards 2000 posts and we've only signed 2 players.
Will we get to 10.000 before the new season starts?

What do we currently need?

First choice experienced left back
Defensive cover (left back, centre back)
Nasty bastard in midfield
Left wing
Back up left wing (Cooper?)
Back up right wing (Agyei? - I know but actually did really well there!)
Replacement for Sykes/Cover for Henry?
Different striker option

Come on Robbo, the transfer window has been open days now!!!

Moving on from debating how many of our current players are or aren’t good enough. Any rumours doing the rounds?

What do we currently need?

First choice experienced left back
Defensive cover (left back, centre back)
Nasty bastard in midfield
Left wing
Back up left wing (Cooper?)
Back up right wing (Agyei? - I know but actually did really well there!)
Replacement for Sykes/Cover for Henry?
Different striker option

Come on Robbo, the transfer window has been open days now!!!
I think we’re sorted for right wing with Agyei and Williams plus lots of wide midfielders. Cooper is returning so need one more on the left wing.

For God's sake delete that before RB sees it!
WEll, maybe a bit of trolling here, but Dan is an exciting player and I just don’t think he’ll get on the pitch enough if he’s only meant to be a centre forward. He’s not a winger but has done well to the right of the central striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom