Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have hoped and expected the club has already identified Josh’s replacement and the LB cover (Elechi) given how long this saga has been going on!
Finding someone in that position that could add goals and assists like ruffs is a tall order though.

I would have hoped and expected the club has already identified Josh’s replacement and the LB cover (Elechi) given how long this saga has been going on!
Finding someone in that position that could add goals and assists like ruffs is a tall order though.
Nicky Cadden.

You do realise Johnson has spent most of his time in the championship, either on the bench or left out of squads entirely, and his attitude was called into question more than once, and in the 100 games that he has played, over 4 years, he's scored 5 goals!

Given his career stats, and his clear attitude problems, yes, I think we could do better.
There are players who want to further their careers and there are players who want the money
Johnson strikes me as the latter and who can blame him. Four year contract on probably at least ten grand a week is around 2 million for doing bigger all but he is set for life

Brendan Galloway would be a perfect replacement for Josh Ruffels. Free agent now too. Surely we’re having a look

Think he would definitely be on Robinson list and someone he’ll know very well considering he gave him his debut in men’s football in 2011

Class player for us he always played with a style that looked lazy but look at Barker very similar style. Iam sure he will end up with 2 more years in the championship. But there are going to be alot of disappointed players this year with contracts . The bigger money in the championship will be less Stoke city just made a loss of £88 million for last year .

What we need, as Blackpool showed us, is players with character and good attitude. Strong, athletic and physical. Leaders. We have nothing like enough with those qualities and IMHO none of those mentioned in this thread so far are anywhere close to cutting the mustard. If we are serious about going for automatic promotion next season these are the attributes we need in abundance together with a manager with the flexibility and nous to deploy them to the best effect.
Mmm.
If we want automatic promotion we need to look far more at how Hull and Peterborough did it . Blackpool were nowhere near really.
I am not sure that Peterborough struck me as potentially beating us through strong athletic players.
We were poor for a game in the play offs and some seem to want to change everything.
I do agree that we need to be stronger and more athletic against the Wycombe/ Blackpool of this world.
This doesn't override the need to get good footballers

I think some are unnecessarily harsh on Marvin Johnson. He only arrived with us after forcing through a deal on deadline day, with the club actively encouraging him not to play for Motherwell at the time. He then has a very good season for us, scoring some great goals, assisting many more, attracting a lot of interest. With deadline day approaching he did exactly the same as he had done a year before to get a move to Middlesbrough, but even then did it in a way that allowed us to maximise the money we got for him. We made a £2m profit in a year so not to be sneezed at! He then went to Middlesbrough and struggled for the first two seasons but has been a constant starter for the last two seasons with 100+ championship starts over 4 years.

Would I want him back? Not particularly. He is 31 this year and doesn't fit our development model or our DNA. We have been linked with Nicky Cadden, Nathan Holland and others that are a better fit in my view. But Johnson is still a much better player than some give him credit for and most league 1 clubs would take him in an instance.

I think some are unnecessarily harsh on Marvin Johnson. He only arrived with us after forcing through a deal on deadline day, with the club actively encouraging him not to play for Motherwell at the time. He then has a very good season for us, scoring some great goals, assisting many more, attracting a lot of interest. With deadline day approaching he did exactly the same as he had done a year before to get a move to Middlesbrough, but even then did it in a way that allowed us to maximise the money we got for him. We made a £2m profit in a year so not to be sneezed at! He then went to Middlesbrough and struggled for the first two seasons but has been a constant starter for the last two seasons with 100+ championship starts over 4 years.

Would I want him back? Not particularly. He is 31 this year and doesn't fit our development model or our DNA. We have been linked with Nicky Cadden, Nathan Holland and others that are a better fit in my view. But Johnson is still a much better player than some give him credit for and most league 1 clubs would take him in an instance.
He was a very good player for us.
I could never forgive him for his final couple of games though.
I have never seen any oufc player as disinterested as in the game v Cheltenham. He made it really clear that he didn't want to be here and his attitude stunk.
Incredibly quick which got him out of trouble quite a few times when MAPP turned him into a left back. Now he has had a decent Championship career

Last edited:
I have never seen any oufc player as disinterested as in the game v Cheltenham. He made it really clear that he didn't want to be here and his attitude stunk.
Incredibly quick which got him out of trouble quite a few times when MAPP turned him into a left back. Now he has had a decent Championship career

I've seen a player less interested in a game and that was Dean Windass in his final game. At one point he actually ran away from the ball. The other Oxford players actually blanked him immediately after kick off when he tried to shake their hands.

I agree that his attitude was shite at the end, but as a club we actively encouraged him to do the same at Motherwell to force a move. I don't like it but we can't complain when it happens to us. It is exactly the same with those moaning about Curtis Nelson running down his contract here when we hoped to benefit from the same when he came from Plymouth. The difference was that a tribunal put a greater value on him than we were hoping (although a pretty fair valuation). Or Tariq Fosu having a buy out clause in his contract without which we'd have never got him to sign in the first place.

There are many deals in football that we might not agree with, but are part of the game these days. We win as many as we lose and I've had to learn to accept them for what they are.

Brendan Galloway would be a perfect replacement for Josh Ruffels. Free agent now too. Surely we’re having a look

I believe he has not played since 2019 after rupturing his patella and struggling to recover, so no thank you.

I don’t personally hate the fact we could sign players that used to play for us I would love it if we could get Whyte down the right barker or Johnson down the left that would be quality signings but I don’t see it happening I wouldn’t mind cadden coming back aswel they are all very good players that would make us a lot better I wouldn’t mind hylton to give Taylor competition neither
Not Cadden his times up he has already been suspend for racial comments

There are players who want to further their careers and there are players who want the money
Johnson strikes me as the latter and who can blame him. Four year contract on probably at least ten grand a week is around 2 million for doing bigger all but he is set for life
That’s fine, and good luck to him, I just don’t think that’s the kind of player that’s gonna help our cause, if a players heart isn’t in it, then jog on

Boro fans seem quite disappointed Johnson (or Neymarv as they call him) was released, so think he will probably stay in the Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom