Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

I would add the leaders don't have to be older players.

Brannagan is pretty obviously a leader at 24 - Curtis Nelson was captain at Plymouth at a young age. All this talk of players like 29yo Jazz Richards that has hardly played for several seasons seems contrary to the strategy we've had for many seasons now.

With the financial situation as it is, I very much doubt we will be sinking large £££ into players on the wrong side of the age curve...going with the current plan, adding 12 month options on every new contract should be standard

I totally agree, and if Dickie is off I would offer Brannagan a one year extension and the captaincy.

I wouldn't want Jazz Richards, but Stephen O'Donnell is a similar age and I wouldn't necessarily knock him back on age alone. Equally, Christian Burgess is 29 in October and would have been a player that I'd have taken to back up Moore and Atkinson if he wasn't already disappearing abroad.

I wouldn't want us to go all Pep on this, but the right player could come in and help add value to the promising young players that we hopefully continue to find.

Wasn’t bull s**t though was it? Phil Parkinson didn’t want him to go to a promotion rival

Sorry, mate, but the only contact we had with Sunderland regarding Grigg at that particular time was a single phone call asking if he could be available. The only place he was going to go to was Tranmere, but it fell through. It was only a single call from us, as we couldn't anywhere near his wages amongst other things, and he didn't want to come so far south just on loan.
Things may have changed since January time, he would be a great signing.

Sorry, mate, but the only contact we had with Sunderland regarding Grigg at that particular time was a single phone call asking if he could be available. The only place he was going to go to was Tranmere, but it fell through. It was only a single call from us, as we couldn't anywhere near his wages amongst other things, and he didn't want to come so far south just on loan.

Difficult to get so many things wrong in just one post.

Maybe you should have a chat with KR, SD, Richard Hill, Paul Parkinson or Grigg himself who will explain exactly how close we were to getting Grigg until Sunderland changed their minds.

In fact, watch the Sunderland documentary about how they bought Grigg to get an idea how chaotic their transfer dealings are and why it pissed off KR who had a deal confirmed twice before the plug was pulled.

Last edited:
Difficult to get so many things wrong in just one post.)

Maybe you should have a chat with KR, SD, Richard Hill, Paul Parkinson or Grigg himself who will explain exactly how close we were to getting Grigg until Sunderland changed their minds.

In fact, watch the Sunderland documentary about how they bought Grigg to get an idea how chaotic their transfer dealings are and why it pissed off KR who had a deal confirmed twice before the plug was pulled.

As you say, "Difficult to get so many things wrong in just one post." This coming from the master of predictions that constantly got so much wrong over such a short period of time, eating so much humble pie, The Humble Pie Company of London's shares doubled.

Sorry mate but your the last person to be making such claims. Typing this with a wry smile on face. I simply put out there what I know, which is little regarding the initial contact. What transpired after that, who knows, (I'm sure someone may....;)).

As you say, "Difficult to get so many things wrong in just one post." This coming from the master of predictions that constantly got so much wrong over such a short period of time, eating so much humble pie, The Humble Pie Company of London's shares doubled.

Sorry mate but your the last person to be making such claims. Typing this with a wry smile on face. I simply put out there what I know, which is little regarding the initial contact. What transpired after that, who knows, (I'm sure someone may....;)).
What you said was that we only made one phonecall and that Grigg wouldn't come this far south.

We had several contacts, and a deal was all but concluded twice before Sunderland stopped it. This is backed up by what KR said at the time and Grigg said a couple of months back. And this is also the same Will Grigg who was brought up in Solihull and spent a year at MK Dons so he's hardly stuck in the North.

But feel free to believe what you want!

Last edited:
There’s no point looking at players who were good a few years ago and who will be used to a salary many times more than we would pay. We won’t be signing them

I think that at least in the near future, there are going to be a great many more professional footballers willing to bite our hands off for precisely what we are willing to pay them, else disappear off for a twenty hour day at t'mill for tuppence a month...

...agree with the first part of your post, though.

I think that at least in the near future, there are going to be a great many more professional footballers willing to bite our hands off for precisely what we are willing to pay them, else disappear off for a twenty hour day at t'mill for tuppence a month...

...agree with the first part of your post, though.
Older ones who’ve been in the championship probably don’t need to work, they should have invested enough to have a decent income. Younger ones who haven’t quite made it could see a big income drop as you say

Just going by why he said, I doubt whether Tranmere would have been able to match his wages, but at the time it was reported Parkinson said no to a rival. But if I’m wrong I stand corrected

Cheltenham showing interest in Sercombe, wouldnt be surprised if he went back to Exeter. Did well for us but think he has perhaps reached his level now at 33. We have to aim higher If possible.

Don't think Sercombe is right for us but he’s not 33! He is 30.

McCleary released by Reading, hes now a free agent ... would KR still be interested in a 33 yo winger?

Not sure why the OM are reporting this. I can't recall previous articles based on players we were linked a season before.

Either they know something or is it just a slow news day?

Back
Top Bottom