Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Cash will be king in the "new normal" football world, I'd guess.
Totally agree. Theres going to be a complete ‘reboot’ in football. Smaller, well run clubs could rise up to be the new powerful forces, while larger clubs who have lived on massive credit and the seat of their pants could crash and burn. I would be interesting to get a sneak peek into the future and see what the league tables look like in 5 years time. It would probably be quite shocking.

As for Rob Dickie, if we can get cash and a decent deal involving Browne, that would be an amazing deal for us. Id actually forgotten about Atkinson and we also hopefully have a couple of other really decent prospects coming through.

Cash will be king in the "new normal" football world, I'd guess.
Do you think? I have a feeling we could be moving towards an American-style 'trade' system with player transfers. Clubs won't have the resources to pay the fees we (and they) have come to expect for players, but the relative value of players won't decrease overnight. Assuming a club isn't so strapped for cash that it'll take anything it can get for any of its players, it's going to be reluctant to sell for significantly less than what it considers the player to be worth. Existing assets that represent a certain value - that is to say, players - will therefore become the new currency imo.

FWIW I've felt football has been going this way ever since the Neymar transfer. As soon as you have a player going for 200m+, all concept of relative value goes absolutely out the window.

Do you think? I have a feeling we could be moving towards an American-style 'trade' system with player transfers. Clubs won't have the resources to pay the fees we (and they) have come to expect for players, but the relative value of players won't decrease overnight. Assuming a club isn't so strapped for cash that it'll take anything it can get for any of its players, it's going to be reluctant to sell for significantly less than what it considers the player to be worth. Existing assets that represent a certain value - that is to say, players - will therefore become the new currency imo.

FWIW I've felt football has been going this way ever since the Neymar transfer. As soon as you have a player going for 200m+, all concept of relative value goes absolutely out the window.
But below the top level how much value do players really have in a depressed market? Always kids and free transfers around to fill the squad

But below the top level how much value do players really have in a depressed market? Always kids and free transfers around to fill the squad

Werthers, yes thats very true. Just looking at say Everton on Wikipedia, across their 1st team Squad, OOL players, under 23's and youth, it shows about 80 players!

The BBC did an good analysis early in May around the impact of crowdless games in the Premiership

But basically, everything points to Clubs have to have a serious look at how many players they have on their books and the value. I feel over the next couple of seasons, there is going to be an abundance of cheaper, but better quality player available.

Marcus Browne Loan Extension

Looks like Marcus Browne will be available if/when we finally get the play off games on.
The following paragraph from that article will get a few hundred people up the M40 crapping themselves a bit! ?

“If that plan goes ahead Oxford will battle it out with Portsmouth, Fleetwood and Peterborough and Sunderland, in seventh, will miss out on goal difference.”

If the clubs decide to suspend the season and then restart it in August/September, does that mean we get Matty until Christmas :)

Is there any updates on Kelly's loan spell? I know he's training with us but wether his loan has actually been extended is another question. Liked the look of him when I saw him, bossed it vs Newcastle

With 1,400 EFL players out of contract in the summer, it's going to be the definition of a buyer's market during these uncertain times. Expect us to pick up some quality players on very good deals this summer.

1,400 has been repeatedly quoted by Kieran Maguire (Price of Football) in case anyone was wondering where that figure came from.

With 1,400 EFL players out of contract in the summer, it's going to be the definition of a buyer's market during these uncertain times. Expect us to pick up some quality players on very good deals this summer.

1,400 has been repeatedly quoted by Kieran Maguire (Price of Football) in case anyone was wondering where that figure came from.

Yes if the club plays it’s cards right we could be in receipt of a very strong squad next season.

Well, if we have any money, that is. I'm not sure we'll be stronger financially than our rivals, although Tiger has been making reassuring noises.

Well, if we have any money, that is. I'm not sure we'll be stronger financially than our rivals, although Tiger has been making reassuring noises.
Don’t forget he left Reading because he said he couldn’t afford to fund Championship football. What’s changed, other than we’re not there yet?

Back
Top Bottom