Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

A very pleasing signing. Not unexpected, and making loans permanent is always slightly less exciting than a totally new face coming into the building as you know exactly what you're going to get, but finally gives us the quality front man we've been missing since Roofe and Hylton left. Also adds a bit of continuity to the squad in a league where turnover is famously always very high - it keeps the core of a side that got to the playoff final together, which can only be a good thing.

Regardless of a player's quality, I would normally be wary of signing a 30 year old player to 3 year contract - it doesn't really suit our model. However, I feel like because Taylor's game is less about athleticism and more about instinct, movement and technique, he isn't one of those strikers whose best years are necessarily behind him. Still potentially a bit of a gamble, especially if he is the 'highest wage in the club's history' player, and I would still like a more physically imposing classic target man in the building as well to give us a different option up top, but all round not a bad start to the weekend!

A very pleasing signing. Not unexpected, and making loans permanent is always slightly less exciting than a totally new face coming into the building as you know exactly what you're going to get, but finally gives us the quality front man we've been missing since Roofe and Hylton left. Also adds a bit of continuity to the squad in a league where turnover is famously always very high - it keeps the core of a side that got to the playoff final together, which can only be a good thing.

Regardless of a player's quality, I would normally be wary of signing a 30 year old player to 3 year contract - it doesn't really suit our model. However, I feel like because Taylor's game is less about athleticism and more about instinct, movement and technique, he isn't one of those strikers whose best years are necessarily behind him. Still potentially a bit of a gamble, especially if he is the 'highest wage in the club's history' player, and I would still like a more physically imposing classic target man in the building as well to give us a different option up top, but all round not a bad start to the weekend!
I think Dan Agyei will be a big player this season so he's the player to develop. Showed glimpses of class at the back end of the season but now needs to get more game time.

It's a great signing. He'll get 20+ goals a season in L1. And if he got service, he's good enough for the Championship. And you're right, his game is about movement, not pace. He reminds me of Jamie Cureton, who played until nudging 40. We still need a big, quick forward alongside him. Could be Aygei, but seems more likely he will be a backup.

Taylor being signed for 3 years is great. Sounds like he took a decent pay cut to come here - no doubt he’ll have some bonuses in his contract to sweeten the deal there.
I think he can continue to offer a lot on the pitch, even in 3 years time. His style of play will hopefully allow that. Plus he’ll have a strong influence in the dressing room - much like Mackie.

Throwing something else into the mix here... KR said that in training after lock down; Robbie Hall was looking a lot sharper and like the old Robbie Hall... will wait to see it in games, but that’s potentially as good as a new signing.

I think Dan Agyei will be a big player this season so he's the player to develop. Showed glimpses of class at the back end of the season but now needs to get more game time.
Don't see it (yet) with Agyei - to my mind he has an awful lot to learn about the awareness side of the game, get his head up, when to pass, when to run, when to dribble, etc - as he seems remarkably easy to take down a blind alley and chances go begging - so I dont think we should be relying on him for anything this season. Third choice, occasional start, super sub, fine but not our main focus every time Taylor is out.

12 months on, and with a lot of coaching (a job for Mackie perhaps?) then maybe we will have a decent striker on our hands, but we'll need someone else ahead of him this season

had email update from the club, headline was - U’s confirm huge signing.
reckon this was the one Tiger was on about. not a problem though as Taylor will be an important player for us again

had email update from the club, headline was - U’s confirm huge signing.
reckon this was the one Tiger was on about. not a problem though as Taylor will be an important player for us again
Mine was different?

20200731_162356.jpg

Don't see it (yet) with Agyei - to my mind he has an awful lot to learn about the awareness side of the game, get his head up, when to pass, when to run, when to dribble, etc - as he seems remarkably easy to take down a blind alley and chances go begging - so I dont think we should be relying on him for anything this season. Third choice, occasional start, super sub, fine but not our main focus every time Taylor is out.

12 months on, and with a lot of coaching (a job for Mackie perhaps?) then maybe we will have a decent striker on our hands, but we'll need someone else ahead of him this season

Completely agree, I think too many people are quick to overlook his flaws in being a cohesive team player because he runs with the ball a lot and has scored some important goals. There's a reason why a goalless Mackie started ahead of Agyei on the regular, and there's also a reason why when he does come on he rarely plays in the central striking position. But I think that can come with coaching and he offers us a different dimension which is useful to have as an option off the bench.

Completely agree, I think too many people are quick to overlook his flaws in being a cohesive team player because he runs with the ball a lot and has scored some important goals. There's a reason why a goalless Mackie started ahead of Agyei on the regular, and there's also a reason why when he does come on he rarely plays in the central striking position. But I think that can come with coaching and he offers us a different dimension which is useful to have as an option off the bench.

The reason Mackie started and came on ahead of Agyei, when it boils down to it, is because Karl Robinson made those decisions. I’m not saying he was wrong to, but it’s not like some magical Harry Potter-esque sorting hat chooses the team on who’s ready or not and who has the most ability. Robinson clearly didn’t think Agyei was ready, but based on what most fans see he seems to do well every time he comes on. Obviously we don’t know what happens behind the scenes, in training etc. But he’s not young any more and if he’s going to stay with us he needs to start getting more game time than 5-10 mins at the end of odd games.

Former Luton Town and Kilmarnock full back Stephen O'Donnell is linked again with a move down south to Oxford Utd.
according to the Daily Record.

Wonder if he still thinks he's too good for League One now? Would be great to see his interview if he signs as he wouldn't be able to roll out the usual spiel like 'as soon as I heard they were interested I wanted to come' etc.

Back
Top Bottom