Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a lot of options in midfield, so it's one position we can afford a luxury player. If kept fit he would be one of the best players in the Championship, so to take him in League One would be impressive. I wouldn't expect him to play very often, but he could be the difference between drawing and winning games off the bench.

Surely if he failed a medical or something concerning came up, that should be that?

Regardless, I don't understand why we're pursuing another defensive midfielder. We have Gorrin, Hanson, Mousinho, and Brannagan (at a push) who can play that role.

Use the budget elsewhere I say.
Out of the players you named Hanson is our only CDM. Gorrin has looked more box to box in pre season. Brannagan has always been a 10 and Mousinho isn't good enough. I'd like to see Kashi back on a season long loan with Gorrin alongside him and Brannagan at 10. Would also give Baptiste more than enough time to recover.

Out of the players you named Hanson is our only CDM. Gorrin has looked more box to box in pre season. Brannagan has always been a 10 and Mousinho isn't good enough. I'd like to see Kashi back on a season long loan with Gorrin alongside him and Brannagan at 10. Would also give Baptiste more than enough time to recover.

Pretty sure Gorrin was brought in as Kashi's replacement, and from what I've seen in the pre-season matches he likes to sit in front of the back 4. He may get forward as times, but to describe his as box to box is a stretch.

I don't like Brannagan in the no10 role. I think he can become a bit headless and do too much shutting down. I prefer him slightly deeper (alongside the DM) but with more freedom to roam forward and pick up loose balls on the edge of the box/get shots away. I also don't think he's as intricate as a no10 should be.

Mousinho did a good job at DM when asked to play their last season. He's more than adequate cover at this level when we also have Hanson.

Last edited:
We have a lot of options in midfield, so it's one position we can afford a luxury player. If kept fit he would be one of the best players in the Championship, so to take him in League One would be impressive. I wouldn't expect him to play very often, but he could be the difference between drawing and winning games off the bench.
The club can 'afford' him in midfield in that we have numbers there already. I suppose it depends what the budget is, how much is 'spare' (I suspect not much) and (perhaps most of all) what a detailed medical says about him!

Itvstar
It started with Dave Langan. One of our best ever players (in reality he probably shouldn't have played)
Indeed. If he came to us in today's sports science led culture it'd be doubtful that he'd ever have been signed.

A great example of the risk vs reward conundrum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm slightly worried about Thorne, no doubt he has quality, but at 26, playing 122 career games isn't impressive. I also wouldn't want another midfielder to affect the development of the likes of Sykes or Baptiste. We have quality options in midfield but, I still can't work out how good Hanson is as a central player (or not!)

Gboly Ariyibi, used to play for Quarry Rovers, considers Oxford his home town. Rotherham also interested. The dreaming spires or nightmare shithole.

who are you and what have you done with mellowyellow?
I agree though, you got to look at the potential. similar to the Holmes situation but saying that I wouldn't be overly bothered if it doesn't happen as we've got enough midfielders

Nothing has changed. Why so obsessed with what I post?
Recently more people have woken up to the fact that the forum is just that, a forum of individual opinions, and old personal have no place on here, with the usual suspects having been called out.
We are all fans of Oxford which ever direction we come from.

Nothing has changed. Why so obsessed with what I post?
Recently more people have woken up to the fact that the forum is just that, a forum of individual opinions, and old personal have no place on here, with the usual suspects having been called out.
We are all fans of Oxford which ever direction we come from.
tongue in cheek mate. i was actually supporting what you said.
as they say opinions are like arseholes, we all got them but just refreshing to read something positive from someone who appears negative at times.
you have every right to your views and i do actually respect you as you are one of those fans that follow oxford all over the country. something i’m unable to do for personal reasons.
but hey ho we’re all yellow at heart

if we got Danny Rose there might be on old shirt kicking around he could wear

Alex Samuel gave us real problems at home last season. Not sure if his record is spectacular but certainly was pacy and a nuisance

No-one knows who drove the Hanson deal last season, KR seemed to distance himself from it. Regardless, it’s not the first or won’t be the last signing that doesn’t go to plan. You never know he may get a run of games and change opinions yet, but the reason KR is looking at Thorne is he believes he is better than what he already has.

I get the feeling we were after George Thorne last season the way KR was describing the defensive midfielder he wanted (that wasn’t Hanson imo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom