Matches The League One run in

Just 24 days ago we were 12 points off 2nd...

And likewise in 24 days we could be in the same position again. It’s chop and change at the top. Rotherham looked nailed on earlier this season, Posh have bouts of winning five or so games in a row and then having winless runs, Fleetwood’s unbeaten spell has a number of draws in it.

Lots to play for and some will drop away. I just hope that it’s not us. No ‘mad March’ please.

And likewise in 24 days we could be in the same position again. It’s chop and change at the top. Rotherham looked nailed on earlier this season, Posh have bouts of winning five or so games in a row and then having winless runs, Fleetwood’s unbeaten spell has a number of draws in it.

Lots to play for and some will drop away. I just hope that it’s not us. No ‘mad March’ please.

I think it will be a marvellous March!

And in that time we have seen the teams that were ahead of us pick up the following points;

Oxford 15
Coventry 10
Fleetwood 9
Portsmouth 7
Doncaster 6
Rotherham 5
Sunderland 5
Gillingham 5
Peterborough 4
Wycombe 3
Ipswich 0
Crikey. Who’d have put money on THAT turnaround?! Great stuff. Portsmouth and Doncaster particularly surprising....
What a pity we might not witness the end of the season if things continue to go as they are with the virus. ☹️

With it belong so tight at the top of league 1 now.

How important will goal difference be at the end of the season?

At the moment most of the Covid 19 speculation is on closed stadiums. Interesting to note the Man City v Arsenal postponement (due to Arsenal players self isolating) which made me wonder at the point that one player has a positive test the whole squad will have to self isolate for two weeks. It is not that hard to see a situation where fixtures cannot be fulfilled and the option to lengthen the season may not be feasible (if the outbreak is ongoing). In which case they would have to determine promoted and relegated teams (or no promotion and relegation), particularly if the issues above prevented play-offs. It might be that staying in the top 3 is critical if at some point in the next two weeks the season pauses (as it has in Italy) and then ends (as many now expect it to in Italy) it could be enough to be promoted.

And in that time we have seen the teams that were ahead of us pick up the following points;

Oxford 15
Coventry 10
Fleetwood 9
Portsmouth 7
Doncaster 6
Rotherham 5
Sunderland 5
Gillingham 5
Peterborough 4
Wycombe 3
Ipswich 0

Cov 13?
Doncaster 9?
Gills 8?
Rotherham 6?
Wycombe 9?
Peterborough 10?
Ipswich 3?

Where have you sourced your numbers?

Still excellent for us though!

Does anyone know the last time we won 6 league games in a row? I can remember us winning 8 in a row back in the 80's, 6 in the league and 2 in the FA Cup, which was a club record then (and might still be). FA Cup games were Folkstone and Worthing, and I think there was a 4-1 win away to Orient. Might have been under Ian Greaves. Anyway if we beat MK does that equal the club record for consecutive league wins? Does anyone know?

I strongly suspect Fleetwood will go up automatically. They're now 12 unbeaten.
People were saying the same about Rotherham 2 weeks ago! And some were saying Sunderland would go up automatically.
If Fleetwood have gone 12 games undefeated they are due a couple if defeats.

People were saying the same about Rotherham 2 weeks ago! And some were saying Sunderland would go up automatically.
If Fleetwood have gone 12 games undefeated they are due a couple if defeats.

don’t know who they’ve played in the last 12 games but home and away are identical
3-3-0 7-4 +3 GD
So winning but only by 1 goal in all 6 wins

don’t know who they’ve played in the last 12 games but home and away are identical
3-3-0 7-4 +3 GD
So winning but only by 1 goal in all 6 wins

I think the answer is that they've played everyone (except for us & Rotherham).

Pompey twice, Sunderland, Coventry, Wycombe, Peterborough, Ipswich, Doncaster, Blackpool, Wombles, Shrewsbury & Brizzle.

That's why everyone's worried about Fleetwood - because they're twelve unbeaten and they've played most of the division's best teams in that stretch.
In their final seven games this season (assuming they happen), they play us......and then six of the bottom nine teams in the league.

Tranmeres winning run has also put the cat amongst the pigeons. Quite a few teams now near the bottom can still go down which will make the matches against the lower teams all the more difficult.

Tranmeres winning run has also put the cat amongst the pigeons. Quite a few teams now near the bottom can still go down which will make the matches against the lower teams all the more difficult.

Was thinking exactly this, although more in the context of having to play Tranmere still.

Back
Top Bottom