National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

Selective graph and a claim........ just so we are clear.

I`ll go with the Jessop chap who`s CV reads as follows..................

"I am a professional economist with thirty-five years of experience gained in the public sector, the City and consultancy, including stints at HM Treasury, HSBC, Standard Chartered Bank and Capital Economics.

I've worked with and for a load of rightist activists ."

Source: https://julianhjessop.com/

Unless yours is better? :)

I'll take the OBR over the Daily Beast any day.

I'm waiting to hear 'this is not the fault of Brexit it's the fault of the EU for stopping the UK's regional grants. The EU could have continued to do so but didn't and applied new rules out of spite'.

20220414_081025.jpg

I'm waiting to hear 'this is not the fault of Brexit it's the fault of the EU for stopping the UK's regional grants. The EU could have continued to do so but didn't and applied new rules out of spite'.

View attachment 8637
f**k em, those Red Wall twats voted Tory, didn’t they? Let’s see how wacky and lovable they find Johnson now.

• React
Reactions: QR

As ever it is far more complex than just a newspaper soundbite.
If anything it will do what endless government departments do, irrespective of colour, and hamper longer-term planning and budgeting.
As all parties use "NHS, Benefits, Taxation etc etc" as a political football with no long term (10yr++ plan!!) Yes it annoys me - a lot.
Detail here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/england-2014-to-2020-european-structural-and-investment-funds

Or that there are a number of global issues outside of a single country's control................................ 🤷‍♀️

Pandemic.

Ukraine.

Both will have a far greater impact on global trade, food prices, fuel, and supply chains.

We should export Squirrels. Would be world leaders at that.

So you don`t think China`s "lockdown" policy or the fighting in Ukraine will have a far greater impact on the entire world than the UK democratically voting to leave a club it doesn`t want to be in?

UK Milling wheat price in May 2021 - £171 a tonne. May 2022 - £332 a tonne.
Possibility Ukraine won`t have the infrastructure to export to markets in the EU such as France/Germany for onward sale & production.

Fuel prices - enough said. Reduced gas & oil supply/purchase from Russia will force global markets upwards.
Good job the UK is further ahead than many of our neighbours on alternative sources for energy.

Reduction in imports - primarily due to supply chain issues, production issues, and manufacturing costs. See all the above.

They may be "squirrels" but they are real squirrels. 🤷‍♀️

As for the club we left.....

So you don`t think China`s "lockdown" policy or the fighting in Ukraine will have a far greater impact on the entire world than the UK democratically voting to leave a club it doesn`t want to be in?

UK Milling wheat price in May 2021 - £171 a tonne. May 2022 - £332 a tonne.
Possibility Ukraine won`t have the infrastructure to export to markets in the EU such as France/Germany for onward sale & production.

Fuel prices - enough said. Reduced gas & oil supply/purchase from Russia will force global markets upwards.
Good job the UK is further ahead than many of our neighbours on alternative sources for energy.

Reduction in imports - primarily due to supply chain issues, production issues, and manufacturing costs. See all the above.

They may be "squirrels" but they are real squirrels. 🤷‍♀️

As for the club we left.....

None of that is any excuse for not getting our own house in order. The ports have been in utter chaos for years now, and there still seems to be no plan to improve matters.

Down in the South West at the moment
Dont have a paper in front of me but the locals are moaning because the money they used to get from the EU and was promised to them by Johnson and Co. has not materialised

Surprise Surprise

Down in the South West at the moment
Dont have a paper in front of me but the locals are moaning because the money they used to get from the EU and was promised to them by Johnson and Co. has not materialised

Surprise Surprise
The Welsh in 'moaning at the English Shocker!'

I think the Cornish were complaining about something similar the other week as well.

None of that is any excuse for not getting our own house in order. The ports have been in utter chaos for years now, and there still seems to be no plan to improve matters.

Freeports dear boy, freeports are the future.

You want to see the growth around EMA and the railhub, its ridiculous.

Freeports dear boy, freeports are the future.

You want to see the growth around EMA and the railhub, its ridiculous.
Freeports aren't a magic bullet. Perhaps if they were, the ones we had wouldn't have all been closed in 2012 by the Tory-led Government of the time.

So almost 6 years after the Vote to leave the free market, our market is now free to all EU producers, whilst entry to EU market is not .
You couldn’t feckin write it.

Back
Top Bottom