National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

All they’ve got remaining in the argument
- currently - are ad hominem attacks.

Indeed. In today's Private Eye an article says:

"The Office for Budget Responsibility** says:

at end 2021 exports and imports were respectively 13% and 12% below 2019 averages whereas other advanced economy goods exports, by contrast, already exceed pre-pandemic levels by 3%, suggesting Brexit may have been a factor

None of the new free-trade or regulatory changes announced would be sufficient to have a material impact.

Productivity is expected to be 4% lower after 15 years

** This is a UK Government Organisation whose role is to provide accurate financial analysis and objective forecast to the government publicly *

* it's probably run by remainers or experts.

On a lighter note, a separate article (same page 14) says, of the VAT deferral scheme / grace period for filing customs declaration (because the systems weren't ready) , quoting (not verbatim) the head of Fujitsu (can you believe, the company delivering the systems) that of the expected 100-150 million deferred declarations, 4 (four) million had been received and he estimated that £30bn (Thirty Billion Pounds Sterling) of tax had gone missing.

Summary of the foregoing: the government put in place by Patriots to make Britain Grate Again is delivering your money to their friends, criminals and into a big hole through a mixture of incompetence and deliberate asset-stripping.

Indeed. In today's Private Eye an article says:

"The Office for Budget Responsibility** says:

at end 2021 exports and imports were respectively 13% and 12% below 2019 averages whereas other advanced economy goods exports, by contrast, already exceed pre-pandemic levels by 3%, suggesting Brexit may have been a factor

None of the new free-trade or regulatory changes announced would be sufficient to have a material impact.

Productivity is expected to be 4% lower after 15 years

** This is a UK Government Organisation whose role is to provide accurate financial analysis and objective forecast to the government publicly *

* it's probably run by remainers or experts.

On a lighter note, a separate article (same page 14) says, of the VAT deferral scheme / grace period for filing customs declaration (because the systems weren't ready) , quoting (not verbatim) the head of Fujitsu (can you believe, the company delivering the systems) that of the expected 100-150 million deferred declarations, 4 (four) million had been received and he estimated that £30bn (Thirty Billion Pounds Sterling) of tax had gone missing.

Summary of the foregoing: the government put in place by Patriots to make Britain Grate Again is delivering your money to their friends, criminals and into a big hole through a mixture of incompetence and deliberate asset-stripping.
Yet Britain’s on course to overtaking France in the gdp league table . Funny old world.

Summary: selective editing.

That's not actual GDP, it's been zeroed Q4 2019. Don't play with numbers you don't understand.
I'm certainly not going to play with numbers I don't understand, but I note that 'Julian Jessop is Chief Economist and Head of the Brexit Unit at the IEA, the leading free-market economics think tank'. Hmm, trustworthy and unbiased, I'm sure.

I'm certainly not going to play with numbers I don't understand, but I note that 'Julian Jessop is Chief Economist and Head of the Brexit Unit at the IEA, the leading free-market economics think tank'. Hmm, trustworthy and unbiased, I'm sure.
The graph accurately shows movement in GDP in percentage terms since Q4 2019 but that does not mean 'Yet Britain’s on course to overtaking France in the gdp league table' as claimed.

Yet Britain’s on course to overtaking France in the gdp league table . Funny old world.

Summary: selective editing.

The graph accurately shows movement in GDP in percentage terms since Q4 2019 but that does not mean 'Yet Britain’s on course to overtaking France in the gdp league table' as claimed.

So your original graph was "selective" ? Fancy dat. :)

Every graph that has every existed in the history of bloody graphs has been 'selective'!!! The issue is 'does the graph support the statement/claim being made'?

Mine did, @PottersRightBoot didn't.

Selective graph and a claim........ just so we are clear.

I`ll go with the Jessop chap who`s CV reads as follows..................

"I am a professional economist with thirty-five years of experience gained in the public sector, the City and consultancy, including stints at HM Treasury, HSBC, Standard Chartered Bank and Capital Economics.

Most recently, I was Chief Economist at the Institute of Economic Affairs, the educational charity and free-market think tank. I left that role in 2018, but continue to support the work of the IEA, especially schools and university outreach, on a ‘pro bono’ basis. In addition, I hold the honorary position of IEA Economics Fellow, am a member of the IEA’s Academic Advisory Council, and sit on the IEA’s Shadow Monetary Policy Committee (SMPC).

I also work with Speakers for Schools, am a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, and have recently joined the Advisory Board of the Independent Business Network.

Previously, I was a Director, Chief Global Economist and Head of Commodities Research at the leading independent consultancy, Capital Economics, where I worked from 2004 to 2017. I regularly presented to clients across North America, Europe and Asia.

I was also a leading member of the Capital Economics team, headed by Roger Bootle, which won the £250,000 Wolfson Economics Prize in 2012 (for the best plan to break up the euro)."

Source: https://julianhjessop.com/

Unless yours is better? :)

"I am a professional economist with thirty-five years of experience gained in the public sector, the City and consultancy, including stints at HM Treasury, HSBC, Standard Chartered Bank and Capital Economics.

Most recently, I was Chief Economist at the Institute of Economic Affairs, the educational charity and free-market think tank. I left that role in 2018, but continue to support the work of the IEA, especially schools and university outreach, on a ‘pro bono’ basis. In addition, I hold the honorary position of IEA Economics Fellow, am a member of the IEA’s Academic Advisory Council, and sit on the IEA’s Shadow Monetary Policy Committee (SMPC).

I also work with Speakers for Schools, am a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, and have recently joined the Advisory Board of the Independent Business Network.

Previously, I was a Director, Chief Global Economist and Head of Commodities Research at the leading independent consultancy, Capital Economics, where I worked from 2004 to 2017. I regularly presented to clients across North America, Europe and Asia.

I was also a leading member of the Capital Economics team, headed by Roger Bootle, which won the £250,000 Wolfson Economics Prize in 2012 (for the best plan to break up the euro)."

‘The best plan to break up the euro’? The IEA is a very partisan organisation and only Tories are likely to cite it.

Every graph that has every existed in the history of bloody graphs has been 'selective'!!! The issue is 'does the graph support the statement/claim being made'?

Mine did, @PottersRightBoot didn't.
Which graph actually changes anything .
Which graph actually makes YOU feel better ?

QR has efficiently explained why the data in the graph PottersBoot used does not fit with the statement he made.

The graph does not show overall GDP, just the falls and rises since 2019.

You can give us Jessop's CV all you like, but if you're using his data incorrectly to make a flawed statement, that's not on him.

But the Prof. doesn't make the false claim that @PottersRightBoot makes. The Prof. simple puts it out there hoping people who don't understand what the graph actual shows misinterpret it. Oh look!

Are you losing it tonight?

I’m not going to join in the graph waving but in any case I don’t think it’s the right question to ask. Seeing the sort of people who have engineered Brexit makes me more concerned about who will get richer and who poorer.

My grammar is better, for sure. And you, a Tory boy?

Back
Top Bottom