League One Swindon on the brink

• Thread starter Deleted member 808
  • Start date
Yes. They’re unable to pay for players, nor sign anyone for longer than 12 months. They’re not allowed to top up the wages of a player, as part of any loan move. Loans can only be for 6 months. They’re fooked.
I couldn’t give a fig !

Yes. They’re unable to pay for players, nor sign anyone for longer than 12 months. They’re not allowed to top up the wages of a player, as part of any loan move. Loans can only be for 6 months. They’re fooked.
Thing is, there will be plenty of players available on free transfers around this summer, of which many will be happy to go anywhere, however financially stretched, rather than having to go out and get a job in the real world and give up on their footballing dream....
...Get a bunch of these guys in to start the season, then start to bring in some better people in January once the finances have been stabilised and I would think they would still have a chance of survival come May (putting aside of course, the possibility of points penalties of course),

They may not be coming back up any time soon, but predictions of a continued fall down the ladder I suspect are somewhat premature...

Thing is, there will be plenty of players available on free transfers around this summer, of which many will be happy to go anywhere, however financially stretched, rather than having to go out and get a job in the real world and give up on their footballing dream....
...Get a bunch of these guys in to start the season, then start to bring in some better people in January once the finances have been stabilised and I would think they would still have a chance of survival come May (putting aside of course, the possibility of points penalties of course),

They may not be coming back up any time soon, but predictions of a continued fall down the ladder I suspect are somewhat premature...

Good point. Take a look at us in 2014-15. A protracted summer takeover and a manager in place with around 30 days to go before the season began. It wasn't a fun season by any stretch but make sure you're not totally cut adrift and, with an owner willing to spend their way out of the problem, you can recover from it in January and onwards. Offer Oxford fans the general rubbishness of 2014-15 in the knowledge that the joy of 2015-16 would follow and you'd have taken that.

Swindon in the fourth tier are a sizable club. Sort this out and they should recover eventually. The sticking point remains that with each day of this ownership issue the club as a football entity doesn't go anywhere. If August comes around and they still only have a handful of professionals in place, a caretaker manager and staff going unpaid, what do the EFL do? I don't believe it will go down to a Bury and Bolton situation but another fortnight of promises but no actions it makes it very difficult for all concerned.

The EFL need to ensure that a club cannot start the season with a squad of kids. There must be a level playing playing field for all clubs in a division. If Swindon start the season with a team that is going to be thrashed by all opponents until they build a squad, those teams that play them early get an unfair advantage.

Looks like plenty of vacancies going at Swindon Town…that is if they can afford to fill them😀

Attachments

• FC5C7F98-3994-4C66-A374-D9B52C3416D0.png
    FC5C7F98-3994-4C66-A374-D9B52C3416D0.png
    287.1 KB · Views: 71
The EFL need to ensure that a club cannot start the season with a squad of kids. There must be a level playing playing field for all clubs in a division. If Swindon start the season with a team that is going to be thrashed by all opponents until they build a squad, those teams that play them early get an unfair advantage.

I see the point, but it's hard to enforce. If that's all Swindon have to hand, that's all they can play. It's no different in some ways to a sugar daddy taking on a club in October and chucking buckets of cash in the January transfer window to gain promotion or a CL place. Other teams could scream 'No fair! We played them before they had been taken over and they were rubbish'. It's just how it is.

The ability for Swindon to complete the season would be the EFL's main concern and if this does continue a Bury/Bolton scenario may occur (get your ill-spirited countdown clock out again, Sky Sports News). Another day goes by and whilst the STFC Trust remain positive and bullish, nothing seems to happen. A team of triallists, youth teamers and one or two first teamers lost 3-2 to Hungerford Town yesterday too.

Are Swindon basically reliant on this Aussie bloke saving the day? And in order to do so, he first needs to negotiate a legal wrangling where Lee Power may have accidentally already sold him the club? What about our former centre midfield maestro Michael Standing? Does he have a claim to the club? And then if the Aussie gets in, he has to pay up 15 months of unpaid stadium rent, get a manager, assistant manager and let them build a team?

And the season starts in 3 weeks?

I'm sticking my neck out here but I think they're fucked.

Are Swindon basically reliant on this Aussie bloke saving the day? And in order to do so, he first needs to negotiate a legal wrangling where Lee Power may have accidentally already sold him the club? What about our former centre midfield maestro Michael Standing? Does he have a claim to the club? And then if the Aussie gets in, he has to pay up 15 months of unpaid stadium rent, get a manager, assistant manager and let them build a team?

And the season starts in 3 weeks?

I'm sticking my neck out here but I think they're fucked.
You can guarantee that the judge will be all sympathetic and make things easy for the scum but, the EFL/FA will have the final say ie points deduction for various breaches, and if the courts and the deal between Clem and Power is sorted before the start of the season then the EFL/FA have to act for this season and not as from the start of the next season.

Oh happy days, how wonderful. Down at City next season. Maybe we will get them preseason for the youth team

'Anthony Cheshire claimed he found out he was being released on Twitter'
'The start of pre-season was delayed and a squad featuring nine contracted first-team players is being supplemented with academy youngsters and trialists, one of whom last played in the ninth tier.'
'They are rudderless: without a manager, assistant manager, chief executive, director of football or a strength and conditioning coach.'
'Opposition were laughing at us'
'...worse than Sunday League ...'
'At times the place was such a shambles ... We deserve to get relegated for the way the club is being run.'
'Even the best-case scenario looks bleak.'

God that was a great article.

As ever, I have no interest in seeing Swindon go to the wall (I can't understand those that do. Who would be the butt of our jokes then? Wycombe?), but their prolonged suffering at being run appallingly and hopefully thumped pillar to post on the pitch is joyful.

Back
Top Bottom