League Two Let's all laugh at... Swindon

This is one of the most embarrassing and cringe worthy posts on here. There is taking the P**s out of Swindon which I can't imagine too many on here will care about, including me, and there is slating a bunch of lower league teams whose fans I have more respect for than those who live around here and follow Liverpool, City etc. Personally find it cringe worthy when any of our fans describe other teams as tinpot etc, particularly as some of the more arrogant followers of bigger teams have described us as that.
I couldn't agree more.

There is also an overuse of the words 'tinpot' and 'grim' in the opening post. If anything is tinpot and grim, then it's creating a thread like this when you know your club currently pay exorbitant rent to a man who has had their balls in a vice for the last 20 odd years. For the pleasure of 23 journeys a season past the sewerage works to the outskirts of the city, to watch a game in an unfinished and poorly maintained dump situated in uninspiring surroundings.

Let's get our own house in order first shall we, and have some respect for proper football clubs along the way.

Bradford, Carlisle, Rochdale, Stockport, Tranmere and Walsall are all good away days.

Don’t forget we have away days at FGR, Wycombe, Vale, Bolton, Cambridge and Bolton which for me are all poor away days. Throw in Peterborough with their over priced away end.
I really enjoyed the only time I have been to Bolton.
The oldest 'new' stadium (?). We could a really good pub with lots of local Bolton fans and good beer.

Bradford, Carlisle, Rochdale, Stockport, Tranmere and Walsall are all good away days.

Don’t forget we have away days at FGR, Wycombe, Vale, Bolton, Cambridge and Bolton which for me are all poor away days. Throw in Peterborough with their over priced away end.
Very harsh on Cambridge that!!

I think you have seriously overestimated the seriousness of this post. I'm fully aware of the joys of being a lower league fan and wouldn't have it any other way. I should have made it more obvious it was just a bit of fun...
I couldn't agree more.

There is also an overuse of the words 'tinpot' and 'grim' in the opening post. If anything is tinpot and grim, then it's creating a thread like this when you know your club currently pay exorbitant rent to a man who has had their balls in a vice for the last 20 odd years. For the pleasure of 23 journeys a season past the sewerage works to the outskirts of the city, to watch a game in an unfinished and poorly maintained dump situated in uninspiring surroundings.

Let's get our own house in order first shall we, and have some respect for proper football clubs along the way.

• React
Reactions: m

It's all down to personal preference, isn't it.

Cambridge is always one of my favourite away days. Granted, I did live there for seven years and still have friends in the area. But it's a fun, slightly ramshackle old ground that's easy walking distance from the train station. And almost all of the best pubs in the city are on that side of the town.

You could get off the train, go to the game and 6 or 7 cracking boozers, and then get back to the station without ever having to go near 'student Cambridge'. That's basically my definition of a great away day!

On the general point - cut Wandering Yellow some slack. Taking the P**s out of other clubs for whatever reason is part of the joy of being a football fan. Going to tiny grounds and singing about garden sheds was pretty much the highlight of the conference years. Having them laugh at us for not being able to get out of the division was not, but them's the swings and roundabouts!

Cambridge is always one of my favourite away days. Granted, I did live there for seven years and still have friends in the area. But it's a fun, slightly ramshackle old ground that's easy walking distance from the train station. And almost all of the best pubs in the city are on that side of the town.

You could get off the train, go to the game and 6 or 7 cracking boozers, and then get back to the station without ever having to go near 'student Cambridge'. That's basically my definition of a great away day!

On the general point - cut Wandering Yellow some slack. Taking the P**s out of other clubs for whatever reason is part of the joy of being a football fan. Going to tiny grounds and singing about garden sheds was pretty much the highlight of the conference years. Having them laugh at us for not being able to get out of the division was not, but them's the swings and roundabouts!

Is that the same as from the away stand to the pitch? :)

I have a weird type 2 fun looking back at the conference era. At the time I'm sure I was completely desperate for promotion, but I did enjoy going to places like Woking and Hayes & Yeading in a weird way.

Nice of you to say the last sentence and I totally agree. I'd have a great chat to a supporter of a Barrow or a Scunthorpe, but also enjoy ribbing them for being ever-so-slightly more tinpot than my own tinpot club!

Last point, Cambridge is probably my favourite away day other than Wednesday away. Easy to get to from London, great pubs, one major minus is how far that stand is from the pitch though... I just don't understand why its a mile away from the pitch.

I have a weird type 2 fun looking back at the conference era. At the time I'm sure I was completely desperate for promotion, but I did enjoy going to places like Woking and Hayes & Yeading in a weird way.
I really enjoyed the first season in the Conference ( until the second leg of the play offs!)
But it became a bit boring in the third season
As you say games at St Albans , Histon Woking, FGR were fun.

Nice of you to say the last sentence and I totally agree. I'd have a great chat to a supporter of a Barrow or a Scunthorpe, but also enjoy ribbing them for being ever-so-slightly more tinpot than my own tinpot club!

Last point, Cambridge is probably my favourite away day other than Wednesday away. Easy to get to from London, great pubs, one major minus is how far that stand is from the pitch though... I just don't understand why its a mile away from the pitch.

It was the 1st phase of a redevelopment of the ground. There are plans available to look at somewhere on t'internet on what was planned, it was part of this development as the stand was completed in 2002:

That doesn't show any detail but it involved moving the pitch up to where the newest stand is. Unfortunately for Cambridge and their fans, it fell through due to ownership issues etc which led to the ground itself being sold.

They are in the process (if not yet completed) of getting the freehold for the ground back:

Last edited:
⁴It was the 1st phase of a redevelopment of the ground. There are plans available to look at somewhere on t'internet on what was planned, it was part of this development as the stand was completed in 2002:

That doesn't show any detail but it involved moving the pitch up to where the newest stand is. Unfortunately for Cambridge and their fans, it fell through due to ownership issues etc which led to the ground itself being sold.

They are in the process (if not yet completed) of getting the freehold for the ground back:

Similar to Carlisle, where the away seats effectively run beyond the pitch to the (rarely used) away terrace.
Plan was always to move it all further north by however many yards, presumably to re-do the home end that backs onto the road.
However, that 'new' stand must date back to the 90s (I saw us lose 2-1 there 20 years ago, from that stand (Jamie Brooks with our goal) and it didn't feel like a new stand even then)!

Similar to Carlisle, where the away seats effectively run beyond the pitch to the (rarely used) away terrace.
Plan was always to move it all further north by however many yards, presumably to re-do the home end that backs onto the road.
However, that 'new' stand must date back to the 90s (I saw us lose 2-1 there 20 years ago, from that stand (Jamie Brooks with our goal) and it didn't feel like a new stand even then)!

Yes. It was under Michael Knighton and I have vague memories that the Warwick Road End was next in the plans to be developed. The stand was opened in 1996 but the inside was never properly finished (sounds familiar!).

From the Townend source of mirth & humour.......................

"The reason we are unable to offer card payments as an option is due to the historical financial standing of the club. The Card payment merchant provider we were using upped its limit due to the winding-up petition that was filed, as well as the fact they were not expecting us to have sold as many season tickets as we did last year. It is essential for the running of the club to have money coming in during the summer months and the only way this can happen is through the sale of season tickets via these channels. We appreciate this is not ideal but are confident that this will not be the case next season, especially when the first financial accounts under the new ownership (May 22) have been submitted and it can be seen the club is in a better financial situation"

Back
Top Bottom