Sunderland Away

Roker Rapport Xtra - Sunderland v Oxford Utd Podcast featuring Oxford fans Simon and Fraser.

Last edited:
To hell with all the verbage about Stew & Charlie. I trudged up to Roker Park a fair few times but I can't remember us ever winning there. Although I do definitely remember that amazing win at the Manor in '75 when Nobby Clarke hit that 35 yard screamer with his wrong foot. Happy days.
But I've never been to the Stadium Of Light and now I've got my ticket and I'm setting off in the morning and making a long weekend of it. Only staying in a £35 B&B in South Shields rather than the Malmaison (sorry Pete) but I have a good feeling about this game.

The Clarke screamer was towards the end of my first season (74/75). Remember it like it was yesterday. Several 1973 Cup winning players in the Sunderland team too. John Milkins played a blinder in goal for us that day and even had to fend off a pitch invader who took exception to his performance.

The only time I can remember us winning in Sunderland was back in the 1990s. An end of season midweek 3-2 IIRC. Sadly, I missed that one.

Remember one of our games was the first one after Princess Diana died. First two-minute silence I have ever experienced but was immaculately observed, couldn't hear a pin drop. Then we lost 3-1 after going one up. Andy Melville coming back to haunt us if memory serves...

I reckon if we show Chris Maguire the love on Saturday it will make him less effective against us. He likes the adulation and playing against fans who hate him (eg Swindon). It's a bit of pschyology that just might work.

I reckon if we show Chris Maguire the love on Saturday it will make him less effective against us. He likes the adulation and playing against fans who hate him (eg Swindon). It's a bit of pschyology that just might work.

Whilst I actually agree - he absolutely does thrive under the pressure of an opposition crowd riling him up. Maguire got borderline rapturous responses both home and away against Bury last year (to the extent that there were people chanting for him rather than our own team during the home game...) and it didn’t stop him scoring and Bury doing a double

Having read had a little about Sunderland, I have decided to suspend my subscription to Horse and Hound, Country Life and Razzle and will be taking several bags of sovereigns in the back of the Roller to dish out individualy to the locals as we make our way to the ground.

I'll be wearing red slacks (shudder) in the hope of meeting Methane and will attempt to bond with him and see if we can bring him home to complete Project WE
I imagine house prices are pretty depressed up there. Thinking of buying a whole street.

There's got to be a chant in that somewhere.

And about four verses to explain the chorus!

give this one a tweak or two on the lyrics perhaps?

....or theres the timeless Northern Soul floorfiller from Micky MOONSHINE ?

Travel day! Can't leave Oxford until about 2pm so hoping traffic won't be too bad. At least it's not the Friday after a Bank Holiday Monday and the last weekend of (most) school holiday ...........

Just been up to the ticket office to get grandkids tickets for Fulham.
We had sold just over 1100 for Sunderland at 9.30 today, and sold 100 new memberships online overnight....wonder why ?

Sunderland fan in peace. I've always looked out for your results as one of my earliest memories of being at a game was when we beat you 7-0 and I also once came to one your games when visiting a friend at Oxford uni about 6 or 7 years ago (you beat Plymouth 5-1).

Firstly looking forward to the game this weekend and nice to see you have a decent following ! I don't think it will be as easy as some people are making out haha as you got a good result last time out at Burton and we had a tough game last week we did well to scrape the win from.

Interested to read that Methven seems not to be too popular on here ? After 9 years of Ellis Short The Don and Methven have been a breath of fresh air this season and our fans view seems to be overwhelming positive of them at the moment. What went sour for him here ?

Lastly good to see most of its been shrugged off as a bit of banter but its not worth even entertaining some of the tedious posts you see on the SMB forum as its nothing to do with football why certain posters on there are having a go.It is notorious for being full of keyboard warriors and is run by mostly by hardcore far left types who hate anything and anyone that they perceive to be an affluent or Conservative voting area (I've spent some time in Oxford unlike most on there and know some parts are far from it).
Most genuine Sunderland fans are banned from the forum and its now just an endless stream of attention seeking from the likes of Hank Williams , Janey etc or Newcastle fans on a wind up. I realise you won't be that bothered by anything posted on there just didn't want that to be your impression of Sunderland fans.

Good luck for the season hopefully you turn things around (starting after this weekend).
Haway Man! This is an Oxford forum and not very cool using it as a vehicle to criticise SMB posters, who can't respond and are perfectly reasonable imho. It is ironic that you point out the 'far left' perceptions of place like Oxford, but seem to think this will be safe haven for your right wing views. I strongly suspect bigotry and xenophobic comments will be give short shrift on here, as it is on the SMB. This is not 'far left' but indicative a more sophisticated, integrated and tolerant society.

People are well travelled these days. Folk from Sunderland do not think living in Oxford is like a scene from a P J Wodehouse novel, nor do Oxford folk perceive Mackems as sitting around stroking their pigeons (fnar fnar) reminiscing with a teary eye about life down the pit.

There have been some good windups and I have bitten a few times, as has my good friend @Bodminyellow who took it upon himself to explain to the SMB how working class Oxford is. I am going to rip the proverbial out of him this weekend, especially considering he introduced me to two lads who had gone to Eaton at my first Oxford game. Now you don't get that in my town of Jarrow.

Looks like a 30k+ crowd on Sattda!

Lionel - I agree about the feelgood factor that has returned. A lad at work was chatting to me about feeling re-engaged and he got goosebumps talking about it, but again - Haway Man!

Back
Top Bottom