Sunderland Away

Was a bit worked up yesterday and forgot to mention your lads at the game were a good set of fans mixing well out after the game (refreshing change from the cretins Scunthorpe brought up). Sometimes its quite easy to bite in the heat of the moment when youre frustrated which on reflection was a bit pathetic on my part.

Final post from me on here now the games over, think you lads will be in a very different position come the reverse fixture and time will tell if we are dependant on how we respond in the coming months.

For the SMB regulars twisting about the posts on here this is just my opinion which I would happily post on that board if I wasn't banned for the slightest thing. The place has next to no debate now due to anyone who the mods disagree with instantly being banned which has made the place no longer representative of our fans.

Take that back - just seen it on sky. It was a yellow, but Maguire and the Oxford 26 should have both gone. The ref was pretty hopeless.

Definite red. Cynical foul with malice in it. A yellow would have been a simple trip. The only one at fault/screwed up was Max Power.

As for our bench and it's response, Shaun Derry's response and red card is a pretty good indication.

We played very well yesterday and can feel very unlucky that we only took a point. Sunderland couldn't handle our pace and movement in the first 15-20 mins, and we were excellent value for our lead. The red card was a definite sending off. It was very cynical and dangerous. They were also lucky to still have 10 on the pitch at half time. Can the Sunderland fans on here take the time to explain how Maguire was still on the pitch? He was hauled off at half time because surely he was one foul away from seeing red too.

The only disappointment from the match was that we didn't make the most of having the extra man. I think we had to adjust our game plan a little, and obviously Sunderland just kept all of their men behind the ball from the red card onwards, which made it difficult to break them down.

The second half could have seen them have another man sent off. Oviedo fouled persistently and made a horrendous challenge on Whyte. Several Sunderland players on yellow cards persistently fouled, and were very lucky to escape second yellows. The same can be said for Baptiste, but given the leniency that the ref had shown to a number of Sunderland players, it would've been very unfair to not do the same to our man.

Most players had good games yesterday. Holmes was almost unplayable in the first half. Mousinho and Nelson were very commanding and seem to have formed a very good partnership. Mackie looks much better down the middle. He brings the three behind him into play much better than Smith and Obika have done so far this season. Best player on the pitch, however, was Baptiste. Unbelievably calm on the ball for such a young man and drove forward well with the ball. A couple of naive moments here and there, but they can be excused because of his inexperience.

Overall, an enjoyable day out. Would have taken a draw before the match, but given how it played out, I think we can think ourselves unlucky to not have 3 points.

COYY

We played very well yesterday and can feel very unlucky that we only took a point. Sunderland couldn't handle our pace and movement in the first 15-20 mins, and we were excellent value for our lead. The red card was a definite sending off. It was very cynical and dangerous. They were also lucky to still have 10 on the pitch at half time. Can the Sunderland fans on here take the time to explain how Maguire was still on the pitch? He was hauled off at half time because surely he was one foul away from seeing red too.

The only disappointment from the match was that we didn't make the most of having the extra man. I think we had to adjust our game plan a little, and obviously Sunderland just kept all of their men behind the ball from the red card onwards, which made it difficult to break them down.

The second half could have seen them have another man sent off. Oviedo fouled persistently and made a horrendous challenge on Whyte. Several Sunderland players on yellow cards persistently fouled, and were very lucky to escape second yellows. The same can be said for Baptiste, but given the leniency that the ref had shown to a number of Sunderland players, it would've been very unfair to not do the same to our man.

Most players had good games yesterday. Holmes was almost unplayable in the first half. Mousinho and Nelson were very commanding and seem to have formed a very good partnership. Mackie looks much better down the middle. He brings the three behind him into play much better than Smith and Obika have done so far this season. Best player on the pitch, however, was Baptiste. Unbelievably calm on the ball for such a young man and drove forward well with the ball. A couple of naive moments here and there, but they can be excused because of his inexperience.

Overall, an enjoyable day out. Would have taken a draw before the match, but given how it played out, I think we can think ourselves unlucky to not have 3 points.

COYY
Agree on the whole - Oxford definitely the better team. Did they raise their game or progressing nicely?

Agree on the whole - Oxford definitely the better team. Did they raise their game or progressing nicely?
Definitely progressing, and the manager now playing in form players rather than the 'big' names as he did in the first 3 or 4 games.

A lot more to come from us this season - so a work in progress with lots of potential for improvement - feeling much better about future - funny how Robinson’s comments make much more sense we win!’

I think we've only just worked out what is probably our strongest 11. The two full backs that started the first few matches have been dropped and we're now playing with pacey wingers out wide. Also we've probably found our best centre back partnership. Overall the team just seems much more balanced, with players in the right positions and knowing what's required of them.

Progressing - we have got steadily better over the last few games. Still not convinced about our central striker options, and we have little strength in depth in some positions - but we are getting there.

SAFC are crying again tonight, they can’t work out why teams are not rolling over for them, we now get a favourable mentions that we are a good side.
Fleetwood missed a pen so they might of been chinned at home, if it wasn’t for an injury time winner against charlton it would of been a poor start at home. Obviously everyone’s “cup final” ??

SAFC are crying again tonight, they can’t work out why teams are not rolling over for them, we now get a favourable mentions that we are a good side.
Fleetwood missed a pen so they might of been chinned at home, if it wasn’t for an injury time winner against charlton it would of been a poor start at home. Obviously everyone’s “cup final” ??
Attendance down too to 29K from the 32K at our game - we may yet be their biggest crowd of the season if their poor home form continues

Attendance down too to 29K from the 32K at our game - we may yet be their biggest crowd of the season if their poor home form continues
Somebody strangely suggested that our away support was poor. I bet today's away support would have been poor which would be part of the reduction.

Somebody strangely suggested that our away support was poor. I bet today's away support would have been poor which would be part of the reduction.
Surprisingly 474 visitors to SoL from Fleetwood today so poor compared to our 1300 but pretty good for them I think.
That still leaves over 2000 Sunderland fans missing from last week, seems to suggest their PR man needs to up his game!

Back
Top Bottom