Sunderland Away Tickets

Hate to raise it......but we haven't been there since this, have we?
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/6638451.7-0__UNITED_HUMILIATED_BY_SUNDERLAND/

Usually when you look at the teamsheets from these historic defeats, you recall in horror. But weirdly, we didn't have a terrible team out that day either (Phil Whelan excepted):

Whitehead
Robinson
Whelan
Gilchrist
Marsh
Beauchamp
Smith
Gray
Powell
Windass
Thomson

"Shotton was too upset to attend the post-match press conference but his assistant Mark Harrison did - and ripped into the players.

"We caved in. It was embarassing and a disgrace to Oxford United Football Club," he said. "We're not happy about it and it's about time the players stood up to be counted. Our senior players cost us goals badly and we showed a lack of character right through the team."

Harrison added: "We're shell-shocked. We were steam-rollered. The second way was one-way traffic.

"Phil Whitehead made maybe two saves and Sunderland hit the bar but apart from that everything they hit went into the net.

"You can pick fault for the whole 90 minutes. You've got to work as a unit but up front we didn't work or hold it up or compete,..."

Rather different to Pep's reaction!

I can remember going up there twice in a week for a Cup game and a League game. Also, I have a memory of (for the one and only time) Mark Druce absolutely tearing them apart.

Never heard the Roker roar, although heard plenty of boos. :)
I remember the twice in consecutive weeks - I think the London Road Club did a deal - £10 each or both trips for £15 - I could only face the one trip so did the FA Cup - Richard Hill equalised up there and I think scored both in the replay that we won 2-0.

Curiously, one of my favourite away days that 7-0. Purely because you will seldom see a team playing so well as Sunderland on that day. Don Hutchison looked like Pele that afternoon!
After the second went in, my dad turned to me and said "We're in for a f*cking hiding here!"
On the plus side, we did get on Look North joining in the Mexican wave and got invited out for pints by the Mackems afterwards. Solid bunch of lads!

Back
Top Bottom