Transfer News Summer Transfer Window 23/24 Build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, budget is a consideration that I don’t really go in to as I don’t know the intricacies. If Bate’s signing would stop us spending another dime, forget it, at least until someone like Cam moves on. I accept that scenario might be why he isn’t on our radar.

But why would Bate be joining as backup? Why put a tag on it? He’d be joining a club where he’d have to earn his position and McGuane and Brannagan would need to reach a higher level than last year to keep him out. You’re only backup if you’re not as good as what’s playing already. Unless you’re a younger player looking for minutes, I don’t see why anyone should be assured game time. Earn it.

Because I can't see him displacing Cam Bran so he would be back up to CB. I think to a degree, they got in each other's space when playing together trying to do a similar role bar CB offering a far, far bigger goal threat than LB. I don't see how you could have CB and LB together as the 2 in central midfield if McGuane or somebody else wasn't playing. Plus we know CB can play far better than he did last season.

There’s as much chance of Bate coming back as Ireland winning the Lord’s Test.

He’s (sadly) simply too small.

Plus ,and more importantly, if Manning had rated him he’d have kept him on till the end of the season.

There’s as much chance of Bate coming back as Ireland winning the Lord’s Test.

He’s (sadly) simply too small.

Plus ,and more importantly, if Manning had rated him he’d have kept him on till the end of the season.
I thought he was unable to play because of the hand injury, not because he wasn’t in Manning’s plans?

I remember Paul Gascoigne against us in an FA Cup tie against Spurs. We played pretty well (Martin Foyle scored a couple, I think) but he basically destroyed us on his own.
I was there for that game, Gazza was incredible, probably the best single performance I've ever seen from a player.

My dad and older brother were massive Spurs fans, so I was lucky enough to also be at Wembley for Spurs' semi final against Arsenal, when Gazza scored THAT free kick, best free kick I've ever seen.

Gazza is by far the most naturally talented player this country has ever produced. Unfortunately though, like all geniuses, he was massively flawed, and it prevented him from hitting the heights he should've.

But why would Bate be joining as backup? Why put a tag on it? He’d be joining a club where he’d have to earn his position and McGuane and Brannagan would need to reach a higher level than last year to keep him out. You’re only backup if you’re not as good as what’s playing already. Unless you’re a younger player looking for minutes, I don’t see why anyone should be assured game time. Earn it.
Agree 100%. At the Friday meeting Robinson told us it was incredibly hard to sign another striker with Taylor in the building as everyone thought he'd be our de facto number 9 (before then saying Ipswich had about 6). We need to have much higher standards as a club, and fanbase, than saying we've already got a couple of midfielders so don't need a third because we might have to bench one of them. Competition for places is something to be encouraged, not be scared of.

Also I'm no expert on the psychology of pro footballers but I'd rather see us signing players who back themselves to break into a team and want to join a squad full of talented players rather than someone who sees we've already got a couple of players in his position and thinks "nah, don't fancy that".

TG is so exciting to watch. He must stay in first team squad.
His positional awareness needs to improve, he makes us very narrow if he’s playing on the right as he drifts inside and leaves no option for a pass and with long not really getting forward we just play everything centrally. He’s a winger. Needs to stay wide, undoubtedly talented lad though.

Just seen Bristol city are about to bid for Dickie from Qpr have we still got a sell on ?

His positional awareness needs to improve, he makes us very narrow if he’s playing on the right as he drifts inside and leaves no option for a pass and with long not really getting forward we just play everything centrally. He’s a winger. Needs to stay wide, undoubtedly talented lad though.

Not such an issue if you have a proper attacking right-back

Lewis Bate is a very talented player, very much in the Liam Walsh bracket,
You have to except your midfield/front line accommodate a player like that.
Robinsons set up being a defensively weak front 3, leaving Brannagan and McGuane to look after Bate just didn’t work.
His beater games came when Taylor went to port vale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom