Transfer News Summer Transfer Window 23/24 Build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see us challenge ourselves this preseason.. it'll be tough but I'm sure we can do it

Rules are:

1. No returning players.
2. No New Era superstars. They've had enough of our cash.
3. Brian Tevredens calls remain unanswered.

If we manage that, even I will be confident we are at the start of a new dawn....

How about a decent preseaon trip. Other teams like Fleetwood and Wimbledon, actually source hotels, meet and greets, in their marketing. OUFC marketing...Nothing.

How about a decent preseaon trip. Other teams like Fleetwood and Wimbledon, actually source hotels, meet and greets, in their marketing. OUFC marketing...Nothing.
Yes let's send LM to Spain a few weeks early as well , get some signings done over the phone.
Really this pre season more than any other I want LM to be completely focused on building the squad rather than anything else.

A good defensive midfielder with limited if any technical ability? KR really has gone hasn't he

Sounds like the complete opposite according to the Chesterfield forum - technically gifted and certainly not a CDM - more like peak KR...

Djavan Anderson vibes...

"Baffling.. Probably the best player in the squad who we are very lucky to have and he’s not even getting on the bench…."

"He’s shown some lovely footwork and is dynamic..."

But with the inevitable...

"Bit of a headless chicken imo - frenetic might be a better description - not sure where you would play him."

"He's was a good player when playing far enough forward for others to cover as required"

"However was also prone to making basic mistakes when he was in defensive positions through poor decision making"

And certainly not the CDM lynchpin we've been craving...

"He's not good enough defensively for that. He's a tiger but his positional play puts him behind others imo"

"I don’t think he’s anywhere near switched on enough for that role. Defensive midfield is a position we need to improve upon this summer"

They may be wrong, but I'll take their judgement over some PL fans who invariably over-rate their youngsters prospects in The Football League due to their complete ignorance of this level.

I’m not averse to returning players.

1) I loved Ruffels, was impressed on the odd occasion I caught him playing on the TV at Championship level he still looked extremely capable. No problem with a returning local lad, who has documented affection for the club, enough versatility to cover multiple positions and is still a solid footballer. (Albeit I’m not sure how he fits into ‘Manning-ball’ style)

2) If Nelson is still performing at a similar level to he was when he left us I’d love him back. Powerful, good on the ball, consistent, half-decent turn of pace, leadership skills. No idea if he’s still at that level (Blackpool’s championship record suggests not) - but if he was he is very much the kind of centre back we’ve been missing. In the conveyer belt of CB talent we’ve seen in recent years Nelson is by far the most under-rated in my book.

3) I think we already have players in the building that do the same things Thorniley does (solid 7/10 performance every week, brave, dependable etc), and he doesn’t feel like the kind of defender we’re missing to adopt a more progressive, Manning-esque philosophy (e.g. as above, Nelson at his best). However he was a great, robust pro and we had nowhere near enough of those in the building last season. If he was back here on affordable terms, ok then.

4) Whyte’s pace scares teams. At L1 level even if your end product is mixed (at best) - as Gavin’s was - if you are direct and can run at people at pace then you are an asset. He also has good experience (at a decent age) for this league. If he returns (again) I don’t think many would complain. And we could all enjoy the Browne or Whyte song again too

5) Even Shodipo had an uncanny ability to beat a player, or score a goal from nowhere. He wouldn’t be anywhere close to the top of my shopping list. But if he rocked up here and replaced someone like Wildschut (ie an almost total non-contributor last year) that could be argued as an improvement.

The point I’m getting at isn’t that I’m not desperate for anyone to come back. But all the five I’ve mentioned above would’ve drastically improved our pitiful 22/23, unbalanced misfit squad (albeit that’s harsh because Moore/Findlay/Brown weren’t really the problem so swapping them out for Nelson/Thorniley as an example wouldn’t mean a great deal).

And on the flip side. None of the above five mentioned stand out as overtly special, MUST HAVE players at this level. There are other fast, direct players so Whyte isn’t essential. There are other inconsistent wide-men who pop up with occasional goals/assists who’d probably be cheaper than Mide Shodipo. League One is chock full of likeable, whole-hearted, robust 7/10 every week pros like Ruffels/Thorniley - even if our ex-manager seemed hellbent on not signing any of them for the last 18 months. I’m sure there are other talented, but probably injury-prone and talent-wise on the wane CB’s with a bit of ball skill if Nelson isn’t the direction we want to go in.

I really hope we do our homework, and sign players who are going to play plenty of games, and tangibly improve the squad. The noises are that we will. That needs to be the absolute priority over the ‘easy’ option of signing someone familiar with the club and that you know the fans will like (ie Ruffs). I want to see us take the best realistic option available and assemble a competent, physically robust squad for the first game of the season. Not hanging around in late August batting our eyelids and lifting our skirts up at PL clubs in the hopes they’ll chuck a decent youngster our way.

Last edited:
Returning players doesn’t bother me one but so long they are good enough, fit enough snd make us better. Ruffles, Whyte, Jordan Graham, Nelson, Thornley - all might? Down to LM to find the players he wants and fit his system. I think we are far more likely we sign players LM has worked with previously rather than the above list. Time will tell.

Doesn’t appear to be any real rumours but shots in the dark. Once we sign a couple we will have much more to talk about…

COYY

Returning players doesn’t bother me one but so long they are good enough, fit enough snd make us better. Ruffles, Whyte, Jordan Graham, Nelson, Thornley - all might? Down to LM to find the players he wants and fit his system. I think we are far more likely we sign players LM has worked with previously rather than the above list. Time will tell.

Doesn’t appear to be any real rumours but shots in the dark. Once we sign a couple we will have much more to talk about…

COYY
Jordan Graham? What’s he done since his last spell with us

Chesterfield have been on BT Sport about 10 times this season
I’d be a bit concerned that he didn’t start in the play off final, surely if he was that good he’d be on of the first names on the team sheet at that level. Whether there was any injury issues or something I’m not sure but surely should be starting in a big game.

I’d be a bit concerned that he didn’t start in the play off final, surely if he was that good he’d be on of the first names on the team sheet at that level. Whether there was any injury issues or something I’m not sure but surely should be starting in a big game.
Maddison didn't start for Leicester in the week, in a massive game for the club, and he's their best player. It does happen, especially if the manager is under pressure to get a result and thinks he sees something clever.

Sounds like the complete opposite according to the Chesterfield forum - technically gifted and certainly not a CDM - more like peak KR...

Djavan Anderson vibes...

"Baffling.. Probably the best player in the squad who we are very lucky to have and he’s not even getting on the bench…."

"He’s shown some lovely footwork and is dynamic..."

But with the inevitable...

"Bit of a headless chicken imo - frenetic might be a better description - not sure where you would play him."

"He's was a good player when playing far enough forward for others to cover as required"

"However was also prone to making basic mistakes when he was in defensive positions through poor decision making"

And certainly not the CDM lynchpin we've been craving...

"He's not good enough defensively for that. He's a tiger but his positional play puts him behind others imo"

"I don’t think he’s anywhere near switched on enough for that role. Defensive midfield is a position we need to improve upon this summer"

They may be wrong, but I'll take their judgement over some PL fans who invariably over-rate their youngsters prospects in The Football League due to their complete ignorance of this level.
Strange one, have had a look at his stats to see if I'd just got him very wrong from the few times I've seen him and they seem to tally with what I said. Doesn't dribble or create chances or ever really get on the ball in advanced areas. Very good pressing, tackling and general defensive duel numbers. Who knows

Need players who are strong, big, quick, robust
and proven at this level.

And capable of resale.

Of the old names being touted around I’d therefore only be talking to Ruffels. Maybe Whyte as well.

Kane Vincent-Young released by Ipswich. Could be a decent option at FB?

Good shout, that.

Plenty of Football League experience ✅
Very much a Full Back ✅
Still only 27 ✅

Limited game time recently - but with an Ipswich side that, in fairness, had an embarassment of riches at this level. Seems to have been fit and available for selection for the most part which is the most important thing (and still trusted enough to help close out games).

Could only be improved if perhaps he'd gone on loan to a mid-table L1 side last season, starting regularly and standing out. Imagine he'll be looking for a move to a progressive L1 club and regular football this season.

Could see him interesting the likes of Posh, Pompey and Charlton - and should therefore also be on our radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom