Transfer News Summer Transfer Window 23/24 Build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manning’s preferred formation will dictate everything so hard to predict. But on paper and based on what he’s done so far you would have to say there’s an argument for the below being necessary or likely:

GK: New first choice, keep one of the current three, get rid of the other two.

RB: New first choice, Long as backup.

CB: New first choice, keep Moore and Negru, move Findlay on (don’t think he wants to be here at all and is desperate to go home) and move Brown to centre back contention. Gives us four seniors. Loan Golding and Mfuni out to the Conference if either has got a chance of making it.

LB: Two new ones. Seddon can go.

CM: Replace Gorrin FFS. Tough tackling ball winner who can do the dirty stuff. McGuane is fine. Smyth we still don’t know enough about, so whether we need a second new recruit will depend on where he’s at. I think something is wrong with Brannagan, he’s been visibly angry and not right at all this season, so one to watch on that front. Loan the boy Johnson out to the Conference for a season - he’s got something about him and needs proper game time.

Wingers: Minimum of two, both pacy, and that is assuming that we keep Browne fit and Murphy wants to be a footballer for one more year having improved recently. Release Jones, pay off Yanic to help move him on a free to some unsuspecting L2 outfit who thinks he can do a job at that level. Goodrham is the closest of the kids to being ready to play for a side with aspirations beyond surviving in L1. He might need a loan to a L2 side who will play him with a January recall if he proves himself, but he might be ready. Pre-season will determine that.

CAM types: Can’t see us being able to get rid of Henry or Bodin even if we wanted to, but we’ll probably need one more in this area as Henry looks increasingly broken and you don’t want to have to rely on Bodin not picking up knocks and strains across a season. Bodin misses way more games and plays far less minutes than people think he does when you dig into the data. He’s played around 3,800 minutes across his two seasons here, which means he’s barely played more than Henry in those two seasons yet it feels like he’s been injured forever. Findlay got bombed out for two months under Robinson and has played nearly as many minutes for Oxford this season as Bodin has in twice the time. He has also just been injured for over two months and has a history of injuries restricting him, and that isn’t going to improve as he moves towards the age of 32; his being frequently available and playing lots of football for us is provably false. I would move Henry into a Mousinho role if he’s here for the final year of his deal. Registered player in case you need him every once in a while, but mostly a dressing room leader who is moving towards coaching.

Strikers: At least two. Retire Baldock, Taylor is probably done although I wouldn’t be opposed to him being a third striker for a final year if he’s up for it, which I think he could be. He’s in double figures this season despite playing for two clubs floating around the bottom of L1, plus he’s not picking up injuries, so he’s nowhere near the Mackie / Winnall bracket in terms of either his output or his availability. Perhaps he would be another like Henry who could do a job as more of a Mousinho style senior pro for a year. If so, loan GO’D out to a Conference side as it gives us a flexible recall path. If we need him he can come back, if not leave him there until January and if he’s doing well (and if we aren’t in need of him ourselves), either let it roll or consider bumping him to L2 for the second half of the season, depending.

Eleven players required minimum in this scenario, and I wouldn’t exactly describe any of it as ruthless or unlikely. I don’t see how anybody could think that five or six changes would ever be enough.

Luke Armstrong at Harrogate would interest me - 16 goals and 6 assists this season.

I think Taylor will be offered a deal but may choose to take a longer/higher contract elsewhere as at 33, it's likely to be his last one at a decent level.

I would like us to :

Try and sign Bate and Joseph out of the loan players returning

Send back: Konate, Fleming and Smith all not good enough

Release: Ben Davis, Gorrin

Sell or Loan out : Stevens, McGinty, Mfuni, Seddon, Henry, Wildschut, Baldock

: Offer Matty Taylor a 1 year contract on less terms
: Take up the 1 year options on Anderson and Jones
: Try and tie Mcguane, O'Donkor, Goodrham, Ciaron Brown to longer contracts.

If Brannagan and McGuane are still here, I wouldn't want Bate back. Not because of his performances, rather because I think he is too similar. We need a far more physically dominant midfielder unless Smyth is going to get more game time.

Baldock we will likely agree to cancel his contract, he's knackered and needs to retire.

Henry will walk in to most league 2 teams and i'm sure we can mutually agree to terminate his contract so he move along.

Wildschut may be a bit harder to shift but we could always loan him out to a League 2/ national League team
Wildschut is an international citizen, he’ll join someone decent abroad that we’ve never heard of and where the food is better

I think that young Tyler Goodrham should not be sent out on loan next season. I don’t see any point in doing that now, he has all the experience needed already. He should now be looking to force his way into the team. Our chronic poor form has fast-tracked his development.

Shandon and Luke McN were also at the Cheltenham game according to RadOx so throw all those runes together 😂 but as Tayls seems to be highly thought of by our players then who knows

Yeah, Goodrham is easily good enough to be in our squad next season. GO'D might benefit from a loan in league two though.

Shandon and Luke McN were also at the Cheltenham game according to RadOx so throw all those runes together 😂 but as Tayls seems to be highly thought of by our players then who knows
McNally was definitely there - he was introduced to the crowd by Rosie.

We aren't having 4 strikers for one position unless they can play wide as well like Kyle Joseph. No way will GO'D be 4th choice as it would be of no benefit to him or us.

We need to sign 2 strikers that can play in a system with one up front. Taylor and Baldock couldn't. Joseph even though played great up top yesterday struggled against teams with a more capable defence, he is better on the right of a front 3. O'Donkor isn't quite good enough to be front man just yet and could do with coming off the bench a few times to go at a tiring defence.

My squad for next season looks like this, assuming that at least one goalkeeper moves on and Baldock retires.

View attachment 13157

The absolute minimum that we need is LB RB CDM and 2 strikers. But assuming that they are all over 21 years old, we would still have 4 additional squad places to fill even if we keep Seddon and Henry involved.

We need to utilise the loan market better, Joseph and Bate both really bought into the club even if they suffered at times (like everyone else). Smith and Konate, no thanks!! But 5/6 good loanees and 5/6 permanent signings and we've got the makings of a top 10 squad, even if top 6 might be a little optimistic after this season.
I think we need to try and offload Seddon Henry Wildschut and Baldock.

We need to sign 2 strikers that can play in a system with one up front. Taylor and Baldock couldn't. Joseph even though played great up top yesterday struggled against teams with a more capable defence, he is better on the right of a front 3. O'Donkor isn't quite good enough to be front man just yet and could do with coming off the bench a few times to go at a tiring defence.
A big mobile striker who can hold the ball up, win headers and bully opposition defenders please!

I think we need to try and offload Seddon Henry Wildschut and Baldock.
I don't disagree, but they are contracted at this stage, although I'd be amazed if Baldock doesn't agree to end his contract over the summer.

I don't disagree, but they are contracted at this stage, although I'd be amazed if Baldock doesn't agree to end his contract over the summer.
Can’t his brother give him some form of medical discharge and we grab the insurance money and pay him off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom