Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this is the kind of information that I like. A "totally new number" eh! Fantastic. Eat your hearts out Lovelace, Babbage, and Russell - none of your managed to find a totally new number.

Can't wait to see how this is described on his shirt.
New number prediction: Leigh will wear splebenty-twelve

It sounds like you’ve seen a decent chunk or read a lot about what he did at MK. I have only seen his MK side when they played Oxford, so just stating a different view rather than ‘Manning prefers 3 at the back’.

I’m proposing that squad may have been more suited to 3 at the back hence why he went with it.

Whereas this squad seems more suited to 4 at the back imo. Most players will have played in a 4 in their career. While we could be working on the training ground on integrating this system, it would take some time to understand the niches of a less traditional formation.

The last part of your reply feels a little tongue in cheek towards the previous manager, but I’d say the wingers have started in decent form this season as being coached better (it’s still early days).

Not saying 3 at the back isn’t useful or possible, but do you not think we’re in better shape to play with a 4?
Manning managed MK against us three times. Below is how he set up in all three:

IMG_4047.jpegIMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4054.jpeg

I think he’s played the cards he has been dealt thus far, including a back four, because it has worked best for what he has defensively. He’s still changing the squad makeup and has been trying to get a left back in who has more attacking potential for months. I suspect that as he evolves the squad he will mix things up more, and have a second formation that is drilled into them as the 4231 has been.

The only real point I was making is that a 343 can accommodate both wingers and 10s depending how wide you want to push people, so the squad he currently has is perfectly suitable in an attacking sense and nobody would become redundant. It wouldn’t need to spell the end for wingers or 10s respectively.

I presume the unbelievably unimaginative EFL will only allow positive integers below a certain value (100?) on shirts...

What hope for the future of our nation if children don’t know their way around a basic xG or xOVA analysis.
As an adolescent myself just getting into the R coding world and data analysis, it’s about finding the line between data and ‘the eye test’ and for which positions specific analytics should be used for

View attachment 15271View attachment 15272
View attachment 15273

I think he’s played the cards he has been dealt thus far, including a back four, because it has worked best for what he has defensively. He’s still changing the squad makeup and has been trying to get a left back in who has more attacking potential for months. I suspect that as he evolves the squad he will mix things up more, and have a second formation that is drilled into them as the 4231 has been.

The only real point I was making is that a 343 can accommodate both wingers and 10s depending how wide you want to push people, so the squad he currently has is perfectly suitable in an attacking sense and nobody would become redundant. It wouldn’t need to spell the end for wingers or 10s respectively.
All i took from those images were: Cumming, Darling and Dennis Smith. Both unrelated 🙃

He played a 343 during his good season at MK which sometimes saw the wingers pushed wide with the wing backs underlapping centrally. Other times the wingers were inverted as 10s and it became more of a 3421 with the wing backs overlapping on the outside. Sometimes he would invert the winger and overlap on one side and push the winger wide and underlap on the other side. Sometimes he would chop and change it multiple times in a game.

It’s good to have a manager who believes in more than dumping a load of old, injured wingers and players he believes he can convert to 10s on the pitch and telling them to express themselves.
Just corrected that for you.

No charge.

I can't help thinking that we could win the league this season without conceding another goal using the current formation and some posters would still only see it as stepping stone to playing three at the back.....
I actually think 3 at the back would benefit us more from an attacking perspective than defensive. From what I've seen and read of Leigh and Stevens the improvement there going forwards over Brown and Long would be considerable. Even if Leigh isn't going to be bombing down the line swinging 10 crosses in a game then having players out there comfortable receiving the ball in tighter spaces and playing a progressive pass will make a difference to creating chances.

View attachment 15271View attachment 15272
View attachment 15273

From what I’ve read, he inherited a team that was very much suited to a back 3 and then transitioned to a back 4 the season after when he had the chance to bring his own players in.

After a poor start he abandoned the back 4 and reverted to a back 3 but it obviously wasn’t enough.

I’ve seen some criticism from MK fans who have said that they recruited for a back 4 in pre season, only for LM to rip it up and change back to a 3-4-3. I wonder if that was one of the lessons LM learned from his time at MK.

Now this is the kind of information that I like. A "totally new number" eh! Fantastic. Eat your hearts out Lovelace, Babbage, and Russell - none of your managed to find a totally new number.

Can't wait to see how this is described on his shirt.
You do realise that many forum members are now on Google searching Lovelace and thinking 'what's an adult film star' got to do with this!? Not our Ada.

I presume the unbelievably unimaginative EFL will only allow positive integers below a certain value (100?) on shirts...

Ivan Zamarano placed a "+" on the back of his Inter shirt to make 1+8 after Ronaldo took #9 so there may be room for some flexibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom