Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough crowd bro
Think I'll stick to performing for myself, or with myself.

Anyway, I've derailed this thread quite enough...

I have no idea whether we really are signing Greg Leigh, but it seems likely at this point and is another piece of very handy business. For the first time since the Appleton era I'm looking at our bench and feeling sorry for those who will be missing out as I believe we could field a second team to be competitive with anyone in this division:

Eastwood, Stevens, Thorniley, Golding, Leigh/Brown, Goodrham, McEachran, Rodrigues, Smyth, Woltman and O'Donkor.

What a difference six months makes.

Even though he's played LWB for Ipswich, Leigh is definitely more suited to a back four. He's not a flying wing-back, but is a defender first who is more than capable on the ball. He is, dare I say it, in the Ciaron Brown mould of full-backs, albeit an upgrade in possession.
From what I gather he's got something about him going forwards, not exactly a left sided version of Cadden (I suppose that would be Cadden) but certainly offering more than Brown would. I think there would be an improvement going forwards having Leigh over Brown but wingbacks also allows us to play Stevens over Long which I think would make a massive difference, especially going forwards.

From what I gather he's got something about him going forwards, not exactly a left sided version of Cadden (I suppose that would be Cadden) but certainly offering more than Brown would. I think there would be an improvement going forwards having Leigh over Brown but wingbacks also allows us to play Stevens over Long which I think would make a massive difference, especially going forwards.
Yes, more about him than Brown but not a flying full-back.

Yep, I too yearn for the days of Tyler Smith and Ateef Konate rocking up here without a moment's notice. Heady days...
is it as simple, do you think, as not all of them got leaked because some were last minute trolley-dash style deals? that longer more planned ones will inevitably leak? I don't mind particularly either way I just find it odd how much we are aware of and how people are tweeting about how deals are progressing with a large amount of detail

is it as simple, do you think, as not all of them got leaked because some were last minute trolley-dash style deals? that longer more planned ones will inevitably leak? I don't mind particularly either way I just find it odd how much we are aware of and how people are tweeting about how deals are progressing with a large amount of detail
It's mainly because one reliable source puts it out there, and then every other account on twitter then posts it with slightly different wording. So it feels like it is being covered a lot, but it's just being retold numerous times.

Nature of the modern world with so much social media, blogs etc.

He played a 343 during his good season at MK which sometimes saw the wingers pushed wide with the wing backs underlapping centrally. Other times the wingers were inverted as 10s and it became more of a 3421 with the wing backs overlapping on the outside. Sometimes he would invert the winger and overlap on one side and push the winger wide and underlap on the other side. Sometimes he would chop and change it multiple times in a game.

It’s good to have a manager who believes in more than dumping a load of wingers and 10s on the pitch and telling them to express themselves.
It sounds like you’ve seen a decent chunk or read a lot about what he did at MK. I have only seen his MK side when they played Oxford, so just stating a different view rather than ‘Manning prefers 3 at the back’.

I’m proposing that squad may have been more suited to 3 at the back hence why he went with it.

Whereas this squad seems more suited to 4 at the back imo. Most players will have played in a 4 in their career. While we could be working on the training ground on integrating this system, it would take some time to understand the niches of a less traditional formation.

The last part of your reply feels a little tongue in cheek towards the previous manager, but I’d say the wingers have started in decent form this season as being coached better (it’s still early days).

Not saying 3 at the back isn’t useful or possible, but do you not think we’re in better shape to play with a 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom