Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please no to Gorrin time to move on sadly ,there are so many players out there .A couple of stunning signings could make a massive difference.

Constable is actually second for me behind Joey, and I've been watching since 1994.

I think it's easy to underestimate how many absolutely critical goals he scored and who he scored them against, how he literally dragged this club up by it's bootlaces, how he cared hugely (and still hugely cares) and, he literally turned down a quadruple your money offer at Swindon. Didn't even speak to them. He was in tears when he left us.

There were more talented players yes. There were those who went on to greater things. But in terms of players who changed the course of Oxford United, who rubbed our main rivals noses in it at the expense of their own bank balance, I actually don't think Beano is regarded as enough of a legend.
It's such a real shame that he wasn't rewarded for his commitment to this club by (officially) achieving being our top goalscorer, as you say, his goals could quite literally have saved this club, who knows where'd we'd have been had we spent numerous more seasons in the Conference, you only have to look at the likes of York or worse still, the now defunct Rushden & Diamonds to see how miserable and different things could have been.

Roy Burton - what a fantastic reflex goalkeeper he was. Malcolm Shotton, I have to agree. George Lawrence, not so sure, but he did P**s Robert Maxwell off, so that gives him extra points. Peter Houseman, don't think we saw the best of him to be honest. What happened to him, his wife and friends was tragic, six young orphans in one night due to some selfish, lunatic driver.

Not an unbiased source but gives gist of houseman's tragic (and criminal death) . A lot of these lot tell "know what's best" for us.

Constable is actually second for me behind Joey, and I've been watching since 1994.

I think it's easy to underestimate how many absolutely critical goals he scored and who he scored them against, how he literally dragged this club up by it's bootlaces, how he cared hugely (and still hugely cares) and, he literally turned down a quadruple your money offer at Swindon. Didn't even speak to them. He was in tears when he left us.

There were more talented players yes. There were those who went on to greater things. But in terms of players who changed the course of Oxford United, who rubbed our main rivals noses in it at the expense of their own bank balance, I actually don't think Beano is regarded as enough of a legend.

Excellently put and I wholeheartedly agree (with a few years on you, apparently).

Joey Beauchamp was a massive part of me falling in love with OUFC and James Constable was a massive part of reigniting that flame after years of very little in the way of ignition.

I will always challenge (usually old heads) who tell me Beano isn't fit to lace someone else's boots. They miss the point entirely, he was never meant to be John Aldridge. He was what we needed at that time, and some.

Beano was, as you correctly imply, a massive part of turning this club around after multiple years of decline. Not just in terms of goals, but a figurehead, a cult hero to rally around. The 'transfer that never was' amplified that. Di Canio said he was a red. Some of us had drinking games based around his exploits. Some named their family pets after him.

As I say, he was a cult hero in every sense and I couldn't agree with you more when you put him in a top two with Joey.

And none of us would do that lightly.

It's such a real shame that he wasn't rewarded for his commitment to this club by (officially) achieving being our top goalscorer, as you say, his goals could quite literally have saved this club, who knows where'd we'd have been had we spent numerous more seasons in the Conference, you only have to look at the likes of York or worse still, the now defunct Rushden & Diamonds to see how miserable and different things could have been.
For me, he is our top goalscorer. The hat-trick against Chester was only scrapped due to them being expelled from the league, but he still scored those goals in what was an official league game at the time, so they still count as far as I'm concerned.

For me, he is our top goalscorer. The hat-trick against Chester was only scrapped due to them being expelled from the league, but he still scored those goals in what was an official league game at the time, so they still count as far as I'm concerned.
I'm with you, but it just isn't quite the same when the record book says otherwise.

Joey Beauchamp was a massive part of me falling in love with OUFC and James Constable was a massive part of reigniting that flame after years of very little in the way of ignition.
Same here.

Started watching OUFC in 1995 so was raised on Joey’s Second Coming.

Stopped watching OUFC when I moved away in 2002 but came back in 2009 for Beano’s amazing season.

Both absolute legends in my eyes. Others were more consistent, and a smaller number were better.

But they both loved the club and we love them.

Well said!

According to Nixon we’re in a race with Blackpool, Charlton, Derby and Barnsley (All teams who have 3/4 senior strikers) for Sam Cosgrove. Sounds like we may be in for a permanent transfer but some of the other clubs only want a loan.

Last edited:
According to Nixon we’re in a race with Blackpool, Charlton, Derby and Barnsley (All teams who have 3/4 senior strikers) for Sam Cosgrove. Sounds like we may be in for a permanent transfer but some of the other clubs only want a loan.
Yes please! Still only 26 and a big unit with a decent goal record. I’d be very happy with this one 👍

And 6’4” according to Wiki so up there with Jake Wright.

Would be exactly the type of player I’d want. He was class for Plymouth last season. We need to pull out all the stops to get him. He would compliment what we have very well.

Cosgrove has scored goals in Scotland, but otherwise hardly prolific. True his strength is as a target man, but I thought we needed a goalscorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom