Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a lovely way to greet a new poster who was only expressing an opinion that you may have found awful, repetitive or nonsense (to use your words) but it contributes to make this place what it is (again, your words).

Maybe next time someone posts something that you don't like you could just keep scrolling or indeed 'move on' (guess what, your words again!!)

Carry on @oufc123

Thanks for replying. I'd missed your immediate responses and was getting a little worried about you.

So,with Oxfordshire being such an awesome place to live, us paying top whack, lovely training ground etc, why are we unable to sign a proven striker?

So,with Oxfordshire being such an awesome place to live, us paying top whack, lovely training ground etc, why are we unable to sign a proven striker?
Because they aren’t happy with the price of sausages at Oxfordshire butchers and want to play for a club close to a branch of Wayne Walker.

I’ve seen people suggesting that the cost of living in Oxfordshire will be a factor in the decisions that footballers make in terms of living here and therefore playing for Oxford, yes.

“£200k is a good salary, but not an outstanding one (doesn’t go that far) when you need to stash quite a bit away for the end of your career.”

“Especially when you take into account the cost of living in Oxfordshire as well.”

“Geographically we're not in a good place in the current financial climate, expensive housing etc. Accrington or Grimsby would be a lot cheaper”

Etc.

You have convinced me, I am setting up a telethon to raise money for 22 year olds who earn ten times the average wage on contracts that cover them for a couple of years.

Won’t somebody think of the children?

The young men playing football professionally are often single with no children to worry about.

If footballers on large salaries can't afford to live in Oxford, what about students, teaching assistants, cleaners, PCSO's, waiting staff, delivery drivers?

Oxford must be a filthy city with no restaurants, schools, libraries, hospitals...

It’s nothing to do with cost of living prices why we struggle to sign a centre forward, wealthy young people want to live somewhere like Oxford, that’s why house prices are so high (that’s how house prices work, if living in Barrow was so attractive then house prices would be higher) it’s that centre forwards come at a premium, if you are paying Brannagan (whose now a holding midfielder) £10k a week, and the prospective signings will know that, then they are not going to accept £6k a week to sign for you when they can get more elsewhere.

We either gamble on a player coming up (who will still want a decent wage) or pay the going rate which will match what our top earner is on, goalscorers come at a premium.

I am guessing that if we sign a centre forward on 12k a week though that a certain ex manager signed a few players on deals that have them get pay rises if someone came in on more money, so that’s why we struggle in that position.

Still he got us in the play offs and we won an away game 6-1.

• React
Reactions: Ian
It’s nothing to do with cost of living prices why we struggle to sign a centre forward, wealthy young people want to live somewhere like Oxford, that’s why house prices are so high (that’s how house prices work, if living in Barrow was so attractive then house prices would be higher) it’s that centre forwards come at a premium, if you are paying Brannagan (whose now a holding midfielder) £10k a week, and the prospective signings will know that, then they are not going to accept £6k a week to sign for you when they can get more elsewhere.

We either gamble on a player coming up (who will still want a decent wage) or pay the going rate which will match what our top earner is on, goalscorers come at a premium.

I am guessing that if we sign a centre forward on 12k a week though that a certain ex manager signed a few players on deals that have them get pay rises if someone came in on more money, so that’s why we struggle in that position.

Still he got us in the play offs and we won an away game 6-1.

The only player who was on a contract that gave them parity with others was James Henry. That's why he got a new deal immediately after Brannagan's contract extension, but rather than match the wages a deal was offered over 2 years instead.

So that won't have any bearing on potential deals for strikers.

I mean I don’t think it’s true but easily agree a loan deal. Twine will probably be on 10-15k a week. We can easily pay half of that
No doubt we could afford it. Twine has the choice of pretty much every championship club tho, won’t come here in a million years.

No doubt we could afford it. Twine has the choice of pretty much every championship club tho, won’t come here in a million years.
I don’t think he will come here, but he didn’t play much in the championship last season, due to injury & falling out of favour. He may come here if he’s guarenteed 90 minutes every single week. Don’t think that’s the case with a championship side.

I don’t think he will come here, but he didn’t play much in the championship last season, due to injury & falling out of favour. He may come here if he’s guarenteed 90 minutes every single week. Don’t think that’s the case with a championship side.
He got injured in pre season, then when he got fit he was eased into it and ended the season getting plenty of game time

In one of the strongest teams in Championship history

He wouldn’t even think once about us as an option, he will walk into plenty of Championship teams

Just a side point: no-one should ever be guaranteed 90 minutes every week.

There's two sorts of "guaranteed" though. One is an actual promise (which I agree should never be made), the other is knowing you're good enough that you will get in the team every week unless injured (e.g. CB here at the moment).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom