Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think with the players we are linked with and are signing then I think we can do better Joseph. He was a positive in a poor season but I do think we can do better.

If he was signed as a squad player then I wouldn’t complain but I don’t think we should be paying a large transfer fee for a squad player.

Hearing wer're interested in Kane Wilson , right back from Bristol city.

I posted the below in April in relation to my hopes for our summer loan activity (not blowing my own trumpet - we're simply doing what any sensible and slick recruitment structure at a progressive and ambitious club should be doing - but my word it's refreshing).

"...Then some interesting loans. Rather than young gambles I'd rather the route of players struggling for game time at the level above but with experience and pedigree (as we have done previously - Whyte, Browne, Joseph even). Players like Kane Wilson (Bristol City) would interest me - superb for FGR in their promotion but seemingly not really fancied by Pearson".

If we were seriously interested in Devlin, I wonder if that was alongside McEachran or instead of.

Looking at past Manning quotes, he loves McEachran and what he brings to a team.

Would indicate we are still in the market for a (development) midfielder.

The obvious unknown is how Smyth fits into the midfield. He doesn’t have a particular strength, equally no real weaknesses.
To late for Devlin, if we go the Irish route.
Galbraith is the one we should aim for

Curtis and Moylan are 2 others

Add Brown, Browne and Goodhram.

Not for me.

Browne was the next on the list, but has failed to show the consistency or quality of decision making to warrant (at this stage) guaranteed starter status.

Brown has the minerals for sure, but with Thorniley at LCB I don't know where he fits (perhaps put Thorniley in the middle of the 3 - but I'd rather not).

Tyler - he may get there in time but not a guaranteed starter at this stage.

Moore only really made the cut as I expect him to improve with Thorniley back alongside. If I was being hyper critical I could have gone with just 3 guaranteed starters - 2 of whom joined this week.

Brown, Browne and Tyler are all players I expect and want to have a big part this season - but none are nailed on from the off (which was the original question).

Not for me.

Browne was the next on the list, but has failed to show the consistency or quality of decision making to warrant (at this stage) guaranteed starter status.

Brown has the minerals for sure, but with Thorniley at LCB I don't know where he fits (perhaps put Thorniley in the middle of the 3 - but I'd rather not).

Moore only really made the cut as I expect him to improve with Thorniley back alongside. If I was being hyper critical I could have gone with just 3 guaranteed starters - 2 of whom joined this week.

Brown, Browne and Tyler are all players I expect and want to have a big part this season - but none are nailed on from the off (which was the original question).

No mention for Marcus McGuane?

Not for me.

I readily agree, these three are a must for the coming season.

I like this discussion about Brown. He always gets written off, then goes to prove everyone wrong, wins awards and then it goes back to him being a squad player.

Brown is and will be a vital member of our team next season IMO.

Out of the back line last season I’d actually move on Moore and Findlay.

Brown is a key player as far as I'm concerned.

Browne is a luxury show pony essentially until he learns some discipline - use in rotation.

Goodrham is either a squad player or goes on loan, I'll leave that up to Manning.

Not for me.

Are for me. All potential Championship players.

I really rate Browne and he had the hunger back at the end of the season. Looked to be trusting his body more and Manning will get the best out of him I feel, given his prior work with him.

I have a feeling he’ll have a good season (providing he remains fit and is therefore rotated, rather than being flogged and being made to play when he’s in the red zone, as we saw previously..)

Are for me. All potential Championship players.
Hmm. I’d like to know how you got there!

Most have been discarded by clubs at a higher level so the minimum expectation is that they find their level in L1 when joining us, ideally they exceed. Some have, but none have looked too good to be here. Far from it, in fact, in the most relevant season (the most recent) they make up a decent share of a team that very nearly found themselves in a level below.

FWIW I think only 3 or 4 players that ended last season will start the first game of next season and rightly so. Most of them need to prove they’re better than average before any mention of going up the divisions.

Hmm. I’d like to know how you got there!

Most have been discarded by clubs at a higher level so the minimum expectation is that they find their level in L1 when joining us, ideally they exceed. Some have, but none have looked too good to be here. Far from it, in fact, in the most relevant season (the most recent) they make up a decent share of a team that very nearly found themselves in a level below.

FWIW I think only 3 or 4 players that ended last season will start the first game of next season and rightly so. Most of them need to prove they’re better than average before any mention of going up the divisions.
I’m a season ticket holder and I watched many games last season. That’s how I got there.

Brown was player of the season, Browne improved significantly under Manning and Goodhram is a fine young talent. Two of the three have already played in the Championship.

Last edited:
Brown was good and dependable at LB in a poor team, but didn't look so good at CB, even though he said that's his best position. However, if we do play with wingbacks then he certainly won't be one of them.
So him and Thorniley fighting it out for the left CB position... who knows which one, but from what I've seen then Thorniley would just edge it at present.

Browne was very disappointing last season, apart from the last half dozen games (similar to Murphy, who was very good in his last three). So with Browne it depends on which one we see... and whether he can learn to pass to a teammate a bit more often.

As for Goodrham, definitely keep and don't loan out, but I'd expect another player to be ahead of him, especially at the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom