Summer 2018 Official Transfer Thread ****

I do hope Rothwell isnt going to do a Maguire and drag it out until August.

Personally I wouldn’t be gutted if Rothwell did leave. He’s injury prone and has been fairly underwhelming when you compare him to Ledson or Henry and certainly nowhere near the impact Maguire had for us. Yeah he’s had a few outstanding games but not worth breaking the bank for. If he doesn’t want to be part of OUFC then let him go!

Personally I wouldn’t be gutted if Rothwell did leave. He’s injury prone and has been fairly underwhelming when you compare him to Ledson or Henry and certainly nowhere near the impact Maguire had for us. Yeah he’s had a few outstanding games but not worth breaking the bank for. If he doesn’t want to be part of OUFC then let him go!

I'd say he was very good when he was in the side, as demonstrated when he was rushed back from thigh injuries to add some pace, creativity and a goal scoring threat from midfield. Comparing to a striker like Maguire is interesting.

I'd not break the bank but he certainly deserves to be one of the most well paid senior players. Because he is actually very important.

I'd say he was very good when he was in the side, as demonstrated when he was rushed back from thigh injuries to add some pace, creativity and a goal scoring threat from midfield. Comparing to a striker like Maguire is interesting.

I'd not break the bank but he certainly deserves to be one of the most well paid senior players. Because he is actually very important.
I’m comparing to Maguire because the contract situation is similar. We’ve offered him a deal that he’s stalling on. I’m not judging him on goals simply on impactfulness and I wouldn’t ever have described him as an outstanding player for us. I’d like to have him in the team but wouldn’t mind if replaced him with a more experienced and proven League 1 midfielder. Not sure how many injuries he’s had but it’s gotta be a few per season.

I agree. He’s good on the ball and drives it forward well. But the end product is poor.
His finishing is quite frankly terrible. You can see that just from watching him try to hit the target in the warm up.
Classic poor finishing. Can hit the target when he takes the power off but then it’s an easy save for the keeper. When he adds more power to beat the keeper he cannot keep it on target.
Most of the time his runs result in nothing because he holds on to it too long, does too much and he loses the ball.
Of all the quality players we signed in the Mapp era I think he is well down the ranks.
That’s not to say a good manager can’t get the best out of him. Maybe that man is KR?

Remember even under Mapp he struggled to get into the side. If we want to get back to being such a good side we need players who are better than Rothwell.

I agree. He’s good on the ball and drives it forward well. But the end product is poor.
His finishing is quite frankly terrible. You can see that just from watching him try to hit the target in the warm up.
Classic poor finishing. Can hit the target when he takes the power off but then it’s an easy save for the keeper. When he adds more power to beat the keeper he cannot keep it on target.
Most of the time his runs result in nothing because he holds on to it too long, does too much and he loses the ball.
Of all the quality players we signed in the Mapp era I think he is well down the ranks.
That’s not to say a good manager can’t get the best out of him. Maybe that man is KR?

Remember even under Mapp he struggled to get into the side. If we want to get back to being such a good side we need players who are better than Rothwell.

Interesting that you say that about his shooting - some at the club though he was the best finisher we had last season.

Interesting that you say that about his shooting - some at the club though he was the best finisher we had last season.

Yes I was surprised by that comment as I would suggest he was our second best finisher at the club last season behind Henry. Not to say I’m right of course (!) but I was ver surprised to hear him described in those terms.

No - & I very much doubt there will be any signings of any note for another couple of weeks. Most players & their agents are on a beach somewhere.

No - & I very much doubt there will be any signings of any note for another couple of weeks. Most players & their agents are on a beach somewhere.
Players won't be on the beach much longer. A lot of them would have returned this/next week in order to get ready for pre season. I'd be surprised if we don't hear of a signing or two next week.

Players won't be on the beach much longer. A lot of them would have returned this/next week in order to get ready for pre season. I'd be surprised if we don't hear of a signing or two next week.

So is it pre-pre-season now?

I've heard that for the past two weeks at least!

I'm judging progress by the fact that our released players haven't sorted themselves out with new teams yet. I'm guessing other players/agents/clubs are much more patient than we are, and will start waking up to finalise business in the next couple of weeks or so.

I'm sure Cameron Norman would like to be remembered as a signing. ;)

In jest, of course

Spot on. We were godawful last year. Nothing thus far suggests we will be anything different this year.

Im holding off.
Come on mate. Have some belief in the KR/SD and the Tiger! I am confident of a solid top 10 finish, a good cup run and the team/club being positioned for promotion 19/20 season.

Back
Top Bottom