Home Match Day Thread Sky & Media Rights

Big Ron

The company I work for is part of a larger media group and as part of that we get regular analysis of general goings on in the world of TV. Interestingly enough, this morning's update was a summary of the revised Sky EFL broadcast deal starting in 2024. While they are paying more money they are also going to broadcast four times as many games - up to 1,000 per season! It seems iFollow will disappear as well with Sky offering an alternative, at a cost of course. This is taken from the email I received:

Sky has held the live rights to broadcast EFL matches since 1995—save for the 2001/02 season where they were with ITV's OnDigital before it went into administration—and has just reached agreement to retain the exclusive rights for the five seasons from 2024/25 through to 2028/29. While the headline figure of £895 million in rights fees and £40 million in "marketing benefits" spread over the five years is 50% more than the current deal, Sky will broadcast four times more live matches on Sky Sports (TV and apps) than at present—a record for any club agreement. Moreover, given the last deal at £119 million was agreed in September 2017, if rights costs had merely kept pace with inflation, then by the time the new cycle starts in August 2024 the figure would be on average £149 million per season. Instead Sky will be paying £179 million, which in real terms is 20% more than currently, but for EFL's press headlines does not sound like quite so good a deal.

e7e7ee78-f08a-c215-30f1-b7e058628262.png

Each league weekend there will be five live Championship and five League One/Two matches broadcast on Sky Sports. In addition, all opening and final day fixtures across the EFL, all midweek league games, bank holiday games and League One/Two matches played during international breaks will be broadcast. Thus, the only games not live on Sky Sports will be 832 Saturday 3pm matches across the three divisions, as the EFL has decided to retain 'Article 48,' which blocks the live broadcast of matches between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on a Saturday.

In addition, Sky will have the rights to broadcast every Carabao Cup game—given the esteem in which this competition is now held among the major Premier League (PL) teams, this is worth significant value in itself. The EFL Trophy will also receive unprecedented broadcast support with all matches on Sky Sports.

For a monthly fee, the EFL clubs currently provide their fans with the option to stream matches that are neither broadcast on Sky nor kick off at 3pm on a Saturday via either the EFL's iFollow app or a club's individual streaming service. We understand monthly paying subscriber numbers at most clubs is in the low thousands if that, and wonder how successful any of the clubs' streaming services have been. It is therefore perhaps not that surprising that under the new rights deal Sky will take over this service, with the experience likely to be much improved as Sky will provide commentary and at least four cameras at Championship and League One matches and two in League Two. We would expect this to be marketed as an add-on to Sky rather than an alternative video subscription service. This could even perhaps be extended to the Premier League, where larger clubs may attract more significant following.

There is no monthly subscription fee with IFollow domestically, it’s £10 a game so they have got that wrong.

The Football League have gone for the safe option though and Sky have got a good deal, problem with the misguided sacred cow of the Saturday 3pm blackout is by sticking to it they left Sky as the only real deal in town, lose the blackout and you feel steaming services would of come into play.

Saying that if Aky want me to pay extra to watch some of our games I can’t get to then I will, because I am a mug with s**t IT skills.

There is no monthly subscription fee with IFollow domestically, it’s £10 a game so they have got that wrong.

The Football League have gone for the safe option though and Sky have got a good deal, problem with the misguided sacred cow of the Saturday 3pm blackout is by sticking to it they left Sky as the only real deal in town, lose the blackout and you feel steaming services would of come into play.

Saying that if Aky want me to pay extra to watch some of our games I can’t get to then I will, because I am a mug with s**t IT skills.
You can take out a season subscription internationally I believe, as well as buying on a game by game basis, so not wholly wrong.

You can take out a season subscription I believe, as well as buying on a game by game basis, so not wholly wrong.

Only for the audio domestically? As the games that are streamed are pretty ad hoc so you could pay for a month with out seeing any.

Provided our away weekends in exotic English locations around the country aren’t spoiled by silly kick-off times/days. We enjoy our Saturday road trips.

Provided our away weekends in exotic English locations around the country aren’t spoiled by silly kick-off times/days. We enjoy our Saturday road trips.
Given the amount of games to be broadcast and the Saturday window, it seems inevitable there will be lot of kick-off time changes.

If you get rid of the 3pm Saturday black out pretty much all of our games can be at that time, it’s actually better for the match going fan as well as though who are sitting at home streaming it.

It’s being kept because English football is petrified of change, always has been, even when the world has already changed around it like this situation and what they are doing is pretty much detrimental to everyone involved.

So it wont be every single league game broadcast as we get with ifollow at present? Not happy about that. at the moment I can see every single match each season, as I go to all home games and can watch the away games i dont get to via ifollow.

So it wont be every single league game broadcast as we get with ifollow at present? Not happy about that. at the moment I can see every single match each season, as I go to all home games and can watch the away games i dont get to via ifollow.

You will still be able to watch the away games with a VPN I think, hey are still being broadcast abroad on IFollow, it’s stopping domestically.

It’s a s**t deal but it’s the football league so you can’t expect to much.

Accessing pirate Sky Sports streams is quite easy.

Accessing pirate ifollow streams was quite hard.

Opening day, final day, bank holidays (Boxing Day, New Year, Good Friday, Easter Monday), midweek games (we had 11 of these in 2022/23) and international breaks (there will be four of these during 23/24 - Sept, Oct, Nov, March) will all be televised. A couple of those midweek fixtures were games that were postponed due to international callups, so let's conservatively assume that this will be ~19 games total on Sky.

Then for the remaining games, there's going to be five League One/Two fixtures broadcast every week (out of a total of 24 games). You have to assume that they'll want to show more League One than League Two.....and amongst League One teams, we're probably somewhere in the middle in terms of attractiveness to Sky. So maybe safe to assume that about a third of our regular Saturday games get moved? That would be another 9 games.

If my maths is correct - and assuming that the EFL keeps its Saturday 3pm blackout in place - then of our 46 League One games in 2023/24, we can probably expect about 18 of them to take place on Saturday at 3pm and 28 of them to be at other times.

So about half of our Saturday afternoons (well, your Saturday afternoons, my Saturday mornings) are going to be football-free next season.

It's way too late to hope that greed won't destroy football; but maybe not too late for the EFL to reconsider its increasing pointless Saturday 3pm blackout? So that we can actually play more than half of our matches at the traditional time?

(as an aside - are they really going to keep the Saturday 3pm blackout on opening day? If everyone is being televised, who are you protecting by banning them from the 3pm Saturday slot. Non-League, I guess.......)

Well that's our games against Reading kicking off at inconvenient times then. 😡😡😡😡😡

Well o suppose Derby county will have the cream share of live viewing on sky sports 😡

It doesn’t kick in next season, it’s the following one.

Although the Reading games will be early kick offs so TVP can justify plenty of overtime.

I've published a stream address for iFollow.
And lots of other football and other sports.

Do you want this forum shut down or to get sued ? I realise some of the posters on here are very tech aware of ways to view streams and use vpns. But sharing ways of bypassing uk legal ways of viewing matches seems like an open invitation to get found out.

Just today I read an Arsenal whatsapp group is being investigated for messages a few years old.

Do you want this forum shut down or to get sued ? I realise some of the posters on here are very tech aware of ways to view streams and use vpns. But sharing ways of bypassing uk legal ways of viewing matches seems like an open invitation to get found out.

Just today I read an Arsenal whatsapp group is being investigated for messages a few years old.
Woah, that’s for racist and antisemitic stuff, not for guys trying to save a tenner!

Woah, that’s for racist and antisemitic stuff, not for guys trying to save a tenner!

It only takes one person from I follow or Sky to pick up that this forum is allowing and even recommending links to the streams.

Come on admin.

Back
Top Bottom