General 'Spirit In The Sky'

kingoftheroad

We're going up to the spirit in the sky
Thats where Ill go when I die
When the bodies gone totally stiff
I'll be going on the P**s with Jimmy Smiff

wellll worth a try

All I would say go on youtube and listen to Manchester United do their version with Georgie Best

I know the Manchester United version, but there's a clear link between drinking and dementia and maybe under the circumstances it's not the most appropriate - I don't like the Manchester one either given Best's battles with his addiction.

We also don't NEED a song for every player, we need a safe standing or unreserved seating section for a better atmosphere where we can sing the songs we already have for Jim Smith.

lighten up Christopher

Bit of an over reaction to sharing concerns about referencing the condition that one of our greatest ever managers had and referencing alcoholism which one of our greatest ever players had to experience prior to them completing suicide.

Grow up, your chant was a poor effort and is in bad taste nowadays.

Bit of an over reaction to sharing concerns about referencing the condition that one of our greatest ever managers had and referencing alcoholism which one of our greatest ever players had to experience prior to them completing suicide.

Grow up, your chant was a poor effort and is in bad taste nowadays.

What am I missing ? I don’t know the context of the ding but where’s the alcoholic and dementia reference ?

What's you're perfect chant then Christopher ? just out of curiosity like.

Yellow Submarine reflects Jimmy Smith pretty well.

What am I missing ? I don’t know the context of the ding but where’s the alcoholic and dementia reference ?

Korsakoffs syndrome - alcohol related dementia. Latest NHS guidance is total abstinence being best form of preventative. I'm not trying to be a killjoy, but our understanding of a terrible condition is being expanded all the time. Not only this, but surely our knowing about the battles Joey Beauchamp had with alcohol would surely just make us more considerate about what we choose to chant at games. I just think we've moved on from from certain positions, we don't chant homophobic nonsense at keepers wearing pink anymore, why should it be any different about "going on the P**s".

Yellow Submarine reflects Jimmy Smith pretty well.

Korsakoffs syndrome - alcohol related dementia. Latest NHS guidance is total abstinence being best form of preventative. I'm not trying to be a killjoy, but our understanding of a terrible condition is being expanded all the time. Not only this, but surely our knowing about the battles Joey Beauchamp had with alcohol would surely just make us more considerate about what we choose to chant at games. I just think we've moved on from from certain positions, we don't chant homophobic nonsense at keepers wearing pink anymore, why should it be any different about "going on the P**s".

Ok got it. Thank you for explaining.

My personal opinion is that you may be being a little hypersensitive and extreme with that. Think the line is pretty harmless and no malice is intended.

Doctor & the Medics - played Ox Poly in 86/87. You had to be there kids....

Due to the direction their career was taking at the time, they also played Thame Sports and Arts Centre in the early 90s. That must hold about 100 tops when a stage is put in there...

I saw them at Butlins on an adult weekend thing, the lead singer can't sing anymore so someone else did that while he just jumped about and shouted between the songs, like a more vocal Bez.

Ok got it. Thank you for explaining.

My personal opinion is that you may be being a little hypersensitive and extreme with that. Think the line is pretty harmless and no malice is intended.

I admit to the sensitivity and I agree there's no malice in the song itself, but I'd rather err on the side of caution and use a song that doesn't have to be about getting pissed up to celebrate one of our greatest former managers! I think we're better than that as a fan base, but I know that the link would be lost on most.

Back
Top Bottom