General 'Spirit In The Sky'

Bit of an over reaction to sharing concerns about referencing the condition that one of our greatest ever managers had and referencing alcoholism which one of our greatest ever players had to experience prior to them completing suicide.

Grow up, your chant was a poor effort and is in bad taste nowadays.
I had absolutely no idea that Jim Smith had an alcohol issue. Do you have a source/reference?

Goin' up to the spirit in the sky,
That's where I'm gonna go when I die,
When I die and they lay me to rest
I'm gonna go on the P**s with Jimmy Smith

That's not a new song, it's been sung at Oxford games and in pubs before plenty of times. Our version started not long after Man Uniteds version for George Best as a quick copy, that was years ago though and isn't sang much these days.

I was referencing Joey Beauchamps battle, thought the message was clear, sorry!

Latest NHS guidance is that abstinence is the only safe bet unfortunately, however, we're all only human.

With the name Discoland I wouldn't of had you down as advocating tee totalism.

I was referencing Joey Beauchamps battle, thought the message was clear, sorry!

Latest NHS guidance is that abstinence is the only safe bet unfortunately, however, we're all only human.

Bit of an over reaction to sharing concerns about referencing the condition that one of our greatest ever managers had and referencing alcoholism which one of our greatest ever players had to experience prior to them completing suicide.

Grow up, your chant was a poor effort and is in bad taste nowadays.
Oh, I got the Joey reference but just not the manager part?

I was probably being to literal, shite at crosswords as well, have to leave it to the man himself to tell us.
Oddly enough, I always thought the user name was referring to Land Rover Disco (short for Discovery) !

I'll leave you both to ponder that one, neither right so far though!

Oh, I got the Joey reference but just not the manager part?

Back to the original point about Jim Smith having dementia. The only reason it came to mind, the link with alcohol, is the latest NHS guidance on abstinence really being the only way to avoid irreparable damage to the brain leading to dementia secondary to alcohol use, and not wanting to necessarily glorify(?) getting pissed up. The second point being Joey's well documented struggle with it. A jump I admit, but I think we have so much more awareness nowadays about these things.

There'll always be chants that push boundaries we wouldn't necessarily consider outside of football, but bringing back old chants that could be seen to promote certain behaviours that haven't even been sung for years when we will be under increased scrutiny with the new stadium build isn't necessarily the way to go.

I'll leave you both to ponder that one, neither right so far though!

Back to the original point about Jim Smith having dementia. The only reason it came to mind, the link with alcohol, is the latest NHS guidance on abstinence really being the only way to avoid irreparable damage to the brain leading to dementia secondary to alcohol use, and not wanting to necessarily glorify(?) getting pissed up. The second point being Joey's well documented struggle with it. A jump I admit, but I think we have so much more awareness nowadays about these things.

There'll always be chants that push boundaries we wouldn't necessarily consider outside of football, but bringing back old chants that could be seen to promote certain behaviours that haven't even been sung for years when we will be under increased scrutiny with the new stadium build isn't necessarily the way to go.
Thicko here finally got it! Getting too old for these mind games

I saw a Crystal Palace video online with a song about Jordan Ayew to the tune of teardrops by Womack and Womack and wonder if we could create one for Negru.

…and the football don’t feel like it should without Stephan Negru

And so the gentrification and sterilisation of the game continues at pace.

Where do we stop the see saw tipping? Where do people stop "being offended on behalf of others"?

Its one of the reasons there is little atmosphere in stadia these days - folk are too scared of being thrown out for inadvertently offending someone!

Its equally ironic that referees are still seen as "fair game".......... 🤷‍♂️

And so the gentrification and sterilisation of the game continues at pace.

Where do we stop the see saw tipping? Where do people stop "being offended on behalf of others"?

Its one of the reasons there is little atmosphere in stadia these days - folk are too scared of being thrown out for inadvertently offending someone!

Its equally ironic that referees are still seen as "fair game".......... 🤷‍♂️

Let's go back to calling goalkeepers gay because they're wearing pink or throwing coins at opposition fans!

If you think the atmosphere at games has been poor because it's gone too "woke" than you're an absolute weapon. The chant in the first place was poorly written and maybe given, as I said earlier in the thread, the increased scrutiny on the club right now, the opposition will be wanting to pounce on stuff.

"ThIs HaS GOnE ToO FaR 🥴"

Let's go back to calling goalkeepers gay because they're wearing pink or throwing coins at opposition fans!

If you think the atmosphere at games has been poor because it's gone too "woke" than you're an absolute weapon. The chant in the first place was poorly written and maybe given, as I said earlier in the thread, the increased scrutiny on the club right now, the opposition will be wanting to pounce on stuff.

"ThIs HaS GOnE ToO FaR 🥴"

Just because you don't sing songs about goalies being gay anymore it doesn't necessarily follow that you stop sing songs about drinking as well? I mean Irish and country music are fucked if that's the case, 90 percent of the songs are about drinking.

Just because you don't sing songs about goalies being gay anymore it doesn't necessarily follow that you stop sing songs about drinking as well? I mean Irish and country music are fucked if that's the case, 90 percent of the songs are about drinking.

That's a bit of a leap to then ban ALL Irish and Country songs (I'd argue theres not even that many Irish songs that are about drinking).

This was a very specific context considering the links with the club to Joey for example and the affects it had on him. Essex's post refers to the sterilisation of football so where would that stop?

Jesus wept you would have thought I'd said let's ban all chants in case they offend someone.

Back
Top Bottom