Tickets Season Tickets 2023/24

Hi Curragh,

How spooky is that, as I did exactly the same thing about 20 minutes ago (I didn't see your post until just now)!

I have us at 5,730 so we're pretty much in agreement.

The only grey area is the VIP block in SSU that shows as 206 seats "sold" whereas that is not technically true as it houses the Directors' Box and the Corporate seats. The Directors' Box area (94 seats) houses Associate Directors, who do pay for their seat seasonally, but there were only 26 of those last year, and due to reasons I'll explain separately there will be a lot less this coming season. Every other seat in that area is not strictly speaking a seat that is "sold" for the season, as they are used by visiting Directors and some club guests etc. The Corporate seats (112 seats) is also an area that is not sold out for the season, although it always shows as such, until sometimes immediately before a game some seats become available. These seats do always sell by match day though.

By way of balance to this, as it could be argued that our figures are over by about 100, are the Executive Boxes. These are not counted in our figures, but we usually sell at least 20 boxes on a seasonal basis, each holding ten people. I would suggest that these boxes balance out the VIP area, even if there are only 5 people in each box.

I am very intrigued to see what a Friday evening count produces, as I'll be extremely disappointed if 1,200 people have not renewed. I suspect (hope) the figure will not be that high?

Had you said previously that we had sold around 5200 last season? It would be good to have exceeded that figure by the end of June with a real push towards 6000 and above.

The direct debit option might be one that becomes more popular as we get closer to the season starting. For those regularly attending a monthly payment that equates to roughly 1.5 matchday tickets per month could give 3 or more games to attend and is more manageable.

Had you said previously that we had sold around 5200 last season? It would be good to have exceeded that figure by the end of June with a real push towards 6000 and above.

The direct debit option might be one that becomes more popular as we get closer to the season starting. For those regularly attending a monthly payment that equates to roughly 1.5 matchday tickets per month could give 3 or more games to attend and is more manageable.
Yes, we sold between 5,200 and 5,250 last season, so we have about 500 new season ticket holders as it stands.

Unless there's been an absolute avalanche of non renewals I'd still say 6,000 should be our minimum target.

Well I hope that the club don't ruin the dot counters fun, by giving out the ST sales to date shortly after 15.00!

Yes, we sold between 5,200 and 5,250 last season, so we have about 500 new season ticket holders as it stands.

Unless there's been an absolute avalanche of non renewals I'd still say 6,000 should be our minimum target.
The ticket site has now been amended, with all seats not taken now available, and first impressions are that a lot haven't renewed. Far more than I expected!

I have to go out now, but will do a full count this evening.

Doesn't surprise me. The cost of everything is going up including things that are (arguably!) more important than watching football - mortgages and food for example. If money is tight, football is one thing people can do without. Plus the performance last year hardly left anyone gagging for more either. The club can do nothing about the cost of living, and have some bridge building to do with the support (and I don't mean over a major road).

Doesn't surprise me. The cost of everything is going up including things that are (arguably!) more important than watching football - mortgages and food for example. If money is tight, football is one thing people can do without. Plus the performance last year hardly left anyone gagging for more either. The club can do nothing about the cost of living, and have some bridge building to do with the support (and I don't mean over a major road).

Yes I know atleast 10 people that haven't renewed for this season.

Cost of living is a huge factor but also the dreadful season last season is the one excuse I'm hearing the most.

City promoted to the National League hasn't helped the cause either as a few have said they will go watch that instead.

Let's hope we make a few more signings and are challenging top 6 and we may shift some half season tickets come December.

I've just purchased my first season ticket for about 6 years. I have a few friends that are interested and will certainly look to attend more games this year. Hopefully people have been waiting for the reserved seats be become available as I did, or will become more interested with another couple of quality signings.

I've just purchased my first season ticket for about 6 years. I have a few friends that are interested and will certainly look to attend more games this year. Hopefully people have been waiting for the reserved seats be become available as I did, or will become more interested with another couple of quality signings.
have you filled in the county council survey as yet?

Yes I know atleast 10 people that haven't renewed for this season.

Cost of living is a huge factor but also the dreadful season last season is the one excuse I'm hearing the most.

City promoted to the National League hasn't helped the cause either as a few have said they will go watch that instead.

Let's hope we make a few more signings and are challenging top 6 and we may shift some half season tickets come December.
No matter how bad a season we've just had I would of brought a season ticket in fact I brought three your a fan through the best of times and the worst so If people you know would rather go support city that is fine but if we are promoted this season don't moan if you can't get a season ticket next season but you never know city might get promoted

BTW not having a go at you personally I just don't buy the excuse last season the football was crap a true fan goes through the worst and the best times

No matter how bad a season we've just had I would of brought a season ticket i usen fact I brought three your a fan through the best of times and the worst so If people you know would rather go support city that is fine but if we are promoted this season don't moan if you can't get a season ticket next season but you never know city might get promoted

BTW not having a go at you personally I just don't buy the excuse last season the football was crap a true fan goes through the worst and the best times

Last season was crap, far worse than the season when Clotet was given the boot. I would have to go back to the conference years to find a season on par where I felt so depressed about my club.

Not all fans are as loyal as me and you, still I believe they will all come flocking back once we get a few positive results.

I bought 2 this season rather than the 3 last season as my nephew has joined a football team and his parents won't pay for both.

My youngest will be joining us for the 2025-2026 season (hopefully the last season at the Kassam) as he would of just turned 3 by the start of the season.

The younger generation is who we need to try and capture, my eldest wore his Oxford kit to his non school uniform day today and he said so did a few other kids. Still plenty of time to grow this club. One bad season last season has just put a slight dent in it.

A significant drop in season ticket holder numbers is down to how poor we were in the season just finished, the blame for that season sits on the shoulders of mostly one man, but also Williams and Ferguson who took to long to do what everyone could see needed doing.

I'm sorry but I don't buy into the excuse of last season being terrible. For a start, last season was the 1 season out of the last 4 we haven't finished in or around the play offs. Secondly, the man responsible for the start of the season got sacked on 26th Feb, there was another 9 weeks of the season left where we got in a new and exciting manger who got players like Murphy performing and we got some good results.
Since the season has finished we have made 4 brilliant signings who you would say are all going to improve us and the squad we are building looks to be a promotion chasing squad. If you can't get excited about that and want to go and follow Oxford City just because they have had some success then off you pop. Just don't moan when you can't get a ticket for Reading away or any decent cup games away from home!

I sometimes wonder what people expect when they start following a lower league team.

Now having said that, if it is down to cost of living or family/work then for me that can't be helped and as others have said, some things are more important than watching football.

No matter how bad a season we've just had I would of brought a season ticket in fact I brought three your a fan through the best of times and the worst so If people you know would rather go support city that is fine but if we are promoted this season don't moan if you can't get a season ticket next season but you never know city might get promoted

It wasn’t just the bad results last year though.

It was the complete disconnect with the fans as the Board froze and couldn’t see the wood from the trees.

Aside from a few on here and a small number at games, it was startlingly obvious to all that we were hurtling towards disaster and the club did nothing for far, far too long.

That led to apathy rather than anger as many felt that our leadership either didn’t understand the gravity of the situation, or didn’t care what was happening.

We won one game out of the last ten if you were a season ticket holder last year. That’s pretty demoralising, and particularly if you can barely afford to be attending for that level of ‘entertainment’.

The lack of meaningful fan engagement and communication added to that feeling of apathy and disconnect.

Jason Burt made these point recently and, as a national football journalist, he understands these things with a bit of emotional distance despite now being supportive of the club.

Jason Burt also made the point that the club really takes for granted its fans, as we generally are very loyal but often treated poorly. He is absolutely right in this regard.

And again, let’s not forget that many of us paid for season tickets for two seasons in which we didn’t actually get to go to a significant number of games, without mass calls for refunds, so again we’ve been extremely loyal.

Where’s the Fans Forum to bring people together? Where’s the Open Day to get kids to the training ground and meet the players? Where’s the open invitation to the training ground over the summer for a big BBQ for fans to talk with the squad, the managerial staff and leadership team? The club has known it will be off to Spain for weeks and weeks - why no involvement of the fans for a day out there where they can meet fans who might like to go out?

Really basic stuff to bring people inside the tent and show that their support means something to the club, other than just a slogan for the marketing (which admittedly has been much improved).

Not only that, but you could have iPads and laptops on hand for people to fill in the stadium survey there and then, and generally get people on board for a grass roots campaign over the coming months.

Unless I’ve missed it, I’ve not seen any of those things being organised. Just the bare minimum at best in terms of genuine, face to face engagement. The recent exhibition was a (necessary) tick-box for pre-app purposes. The consultants will have led on that, not the club.

All we get are excuses about doing it next time at some unspecified time in the future, again and again.

If I was really having to watch every penny, and I’d been recently treated like we have as fans, I might be really considering whether to spend on season tickets. That might be the difference between not going on holiday this year, or having a nice Xmas. Or being able to have a car running, or being able to pay the rent. The club needs to understand this.

There are so many good things happening at the club right now. The manager is fixing the mess of his predecessor, some of the back office areas of the club are returning to life, the stadium will be a game changer.

Plenty more to do on the fan engagement side of things though. The club has posted this list of things happening in July:

Aside from spending even more money, there’s very little going on to involve the fans. Just buy tickets and shirts, that’s your lot.

Jason Burt absolutely nailed it sadly. I hope someone senior at the club bothered to listen to what he said. It would be good for them, the club and, most importantly, the fans if they did something about it.

Last edited:
A possible near 20 per cent drop in season ticket holders for the coming season is far more than I expected.
It won't be anywhere near thar.
We sold 5300 last season. Apparently the sales so far this season were around 4,500 a couple of days ago. There are still what 5 weeks to go to the start of the season?
So the numbers could still be fairly close to last seasons.

It won't be anywhere near thar.
We sold 5300 last season. Apparently the sales so far this season were around 4,500 a couple of days ago. There are still what 5 weeks to go to the start of the season?
So the numbers could still be fairly close to last seasons.

Was the 5300 what we sold in the summer or what we sold when adding half season tickets sold in December?

Back
Top Bottom